Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Fair Trade Tobacco Logo contest

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
You can enter as many as you want. You can't use any logo's already in use by anyone else. After about 30 days of no new entries, I'll close the thread and put the entries in a poll. Forum members will then vote on the logo's. If there is a flood of new members who all vote for the same logo, that logo will be eliminated from the competition. If someone figures out a way to slant the results in any way shape or form other than being the best design, their logo will be eliminated from the competition also.

The prize will be your choice from the remaining samples from the prize list

The value of these prizes are between $45 and $90...maybe more depending on what you choose. In exchange for this prize, you must agree to allow FTT to use the design unconditionally.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
logo?

as in a catch phrase,,,,,,or some drawing,????

define>LOGO<

Daniel

Banned
Well I have ideas but cannot necessarily make designs on the computer. dkh, I like your start but think the fair trade should be above the circle and Tobacco centered below it.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
OK here is is Revision 5.0 with STILL much more to go
This is from machining software and not really meant for drawing pictures
I took a screen shot of the desktop. Next is to find or take a picture of some leaves or cigars or both and maybe a pipe

Fair 5.jpg

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I suppose in all fairness, a "design" doesn't necessarily have to mean the logo is ready for publishing. So if someone wants to sketch something on paper and scan it in order to post it, that would qualify as a design.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Some tips on logo design.

For a design to be embroidered onto a hat, for example, the size would be limited to 2-1/2" high by 3-1/2" wide. Any text would need to be solid, with at least 1/4" tall characters.

As an example, this is a design I made up for a hike in the Grand Canyon.

Bighorn2010_Hat_05_Mocha_E.png

The brown background is simply the color of the hat fabric. The text is sanserif. The total number of colors determines the embroidery cost. As a basis, I used a photo of a Bighorn Sheep that I had taken within the Canyon on a previous hike. (Only the males have those nice, recurving horns. This was a female.)

Here is how it came out. Even though the design utilizes the full 2.5"x3.5" dimensions, which fairly well fills the front of the hat, the text is just about as small as it can get and still be legible. Notice that all the text is upper case.

GCHat2010_38_300px.jpg
GCHat2010_40_300px.jpg

And my original 2001 photo from the Inner Gorge.
bighorn1.jpg

Of course, if it's just going to be printed as an image onto a hat, the only consideration is that the finest details must be thicker than the weave of the fabric, in order to not be lost when applied.

If you have Adobe Photoshop, or a similar graphics application, you can load a photograph, create a new blank layer above it, then carefully outline the zones for each color. The underlying photo layer is then deleted. For most embroidery shops, 5 colors is reasonable.

If a logo is to be used as an icon for the FTT website, then it would have no text, and must be rather simple to resolve at 16x16 pixels.

Here is one I created for the upcoming NicotianaSeedbank website:
NicotianaSeedbankIconSet.jpg

Keep in mind that the only size icon that will appear in the browser address bar or in the "Favorites" menu is the tiny one on the far right.

Bob

BigBonner

Founding Member
As I am not good at PC skills , Maybe I can describe what I think it should look like .

A big golden tobacco On the front running from the left to right and WHOLELEAFTOBACCO written through the middle of it . Then two leaves down the Bill of the cap on the left and right edges . Like one leaf laying on each side . The hat needs to be a dark military blue .

I found a picture . The leafs should lay like the wheat on each side of the bill . Where the air force is , Is where the tobacco leaf should be with WHOLELEAFTOBACCO logo written accross the middle of the leaf . .
uyxTg.jpg

Daniel

Banned
dkh, I like that second one much better. Larry I also agree on something with tobacco leaves.
I am drawing a blank on any suggestions for the center of the dkh ring though.
Anyone got any suggestions. The only thing that crossed my mind was hands shaking and I don't like that one even.
Maybe nothing should go in there.
I can draw no problem. I will see what I can do as far as scanning a drawing. I got my left hand bitten by my little dog yesterday. It woudl nto have been a problem except it bit down across two fignernails. split both of them. needless to say very painful. makes it hard to type and I am not sure how much drawing I can get done.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
hows this,????

a scale..'' fair trade'' with some baccy in the sclae,,
>

Attachments

• tumblr_lziqqubQ8V1rp2k4lo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_lziqqubQ8V1rp2k4lo1_1280.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 11

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ill make these bigger tomorrow,,, time for bed gotta go to work in the morning,

more logo's to come,

Attachments

• tumblr_lzirhyew5F1rp2k4lo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_lzirhyew5F1rp2k4lo1_1280.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 11

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Don, Looks like you stirred up a good one this time.
Here’s my (twenty) two cents ----

The Logo’s we all recognize -- Coke, Nike (swish), Mercedes and FedEx are the products of millions of dollars, lots of years and some really bright minds. The minds we’ve got (I hope), the $ we don’t.
FedEx is great. On the other hand USPS doesn’t make it. (No surprise there -- Our government at work)
Simple is better.
Something everybody recognizes is great e.g. (School bus yellow, UPS Brown, John Deere green).
STIPULATED: I don’t have an artsy bone in my head. (But I do have some friends who do.<)))

That said, I like Chickens idea of a scale but it is too detailed. Why not take our initials FTT. Extend the top of the middle T to simulate a scale and put the leading and trailing F and T inside some representation of a tobacco leaf? That alone could work for the cap or shirt logo. Fair Trade Tobacco would be lettered above or below it in all printed materials (or even on the caps but I think that is too fussy). {I tried to factor in an upward pointed finger for the Tax man but that got too emotional.}
For me the Logo is the heart of it. Make it striking and exclusive. How we get the world to recognize it is another matter.

Just an idea guys. Kick it around or to pieces as you see fit.

OK OK Make that 17 cents.

John

Daniel

Banned
John, I really like the idea you have on FTT with the middle T being a scale.
As for ther leaf I am thinking more of a tobacco leaf as it would lay on a table with maybe the FTT setting in it.
The circle would also work with a scale in the center of it.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Daniel, I like it !
Expanding on that you could tuck the leading and trailing F & T under the "scale" T as if they were hanging there. Their outer tips could be curved to match the circle (oval?) and maybe the edge of your background tobacco leaf. This would permit patches that could be sewn or printed on anything. They would be cheaper to produce, maybe in two sizes. Perhaps a horizontal oval design to better follow the leaf shape and fit caps better

John