Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Smokin Harley Grow Log 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

Been working a ton of hours at a nuke power plant outage, just got laid off Sunday morning and in perfect timing. Our weather here in north central (south of Chicagoland) IL is shaping up , soil temps are rising slowly and its raining today (anticipating the 2015 Morel season to be really good). Today, as I get back to my homebody life ,I have great plans to sow my tobacco seed. I have 14 varieties total and I'll be sowing them into 2 flats/9 cells each to keep the plots manageable and the hands of tobacco somewhat even and full also as I prime 2-3 leaves each priming. Wish me luck on my grow,should be fun. I'll try to keep posting pics updated each week.

Black Mammoth
Ct Broadleaf
Ct Shade
Cuban Criollo 98
Fl Sumatra
Havana 608
Java Bezuki
Little Dutch
Long Red
Machu Picchu Havana
Madole
PA Red
Va Gold
Vuelta Abajo

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: and now back to my regularly scheduled life...tobacco seed sowing day !!

Good luck with your grow.

Check out some of the abandoned strip mines in your area for Morels.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Been watching the 2015 Morel sightings map ,they're still not popping in our zone. might be a couple days until we get anything. The rain subsided late this morning , sun popped out just a bit ago . Got some upper 60's days and over 40 nights coming. Wife and I will probably head out Saturday for a hike in the woods.

Smokin Harley

Its so far and few between that I try to upload pics and then I cant ever remember how to do it. I need help,lol.

Smokin Harley

IMG_2420.JPG

Smokin Harley

the light I am using I just happened to see on sale (clearance) at the Home Depot just a minute from the house. It was a whopping $9.95 . Its a T-8 and the triple Daylight bulbs which cost me more than the fixture per two pack are putting out full spectrum and holding temp just above the flat at 68*F.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

This thread is now officially a grow log.

Bob

jolly

Good luck on your grow. I'm growing four of those, so I'm looking forward to seeing your results

Smokin Harley

if it turns out anything like my veg garden ...it'll be phenomenal. Like the difference between the best store bought tomato and a mediocre home grown one.
I already stopped buying store bought cigars in turn for my own home rolled sticks. Given there are still some that I like to smoke on special occasions , I'll be glad once I can copy those myself .The one I had yesterday was probably one of the best I ever had...maybe it just tasted better since I made it myself. Kinda makes one wonder the quality and caliber of tobacco used for commercial sale.

rainmax

Founding Member
Good luck with you...
Those are one of the best varieties you will be growing. Don't forget some spare seedlings. Just incase..

Smokin Harley

Hope these come through ok...almost one week has passed since I sowed seed and this is what I have so far...yesterday April 18 was 9 of 14 ...this morning one more has sprouted visibly so I'm still waiting on Ct Broadleaf, Long Red ,Machu Picchu Havana and Madole to sprout. I'm very happy so far . Criollo 98 was first to sprout and seems very strong . Which is a great thing because Criollo 98 is probably the one I wanted most.

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2427.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

Knucklehead

Founding Member
They are looking good. You probably know this, but put water in the bottom tray. Watering from the top can cause soil compaction and spiral root.

Smokin Harley

Thanks Knuck. yep , thats exactly what I'm doing....and today had the rest of them sprout except one ...Ct Broadleaf...still waiting on that. maybe tomorrow,maybe its just a slow sprouter. I had only one flat over a heat mat and that was the tray that mostly sprouted yesterday.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks Knuck. yep , thats exactly what I'm doing....and today had the rest of them sprout except one ...Ct Broadleaf...still waiting on that. maybe tomorrow,maybe its just a slow sprouter. I had only one flat over a heat mat and that was the tray that mostly sprouted yesterday.

After 14 days of no germination is when I start getting worried and overseed as a precaution. Some of the seed are late germinators. I'm still pulling baby seedlings out from under my big seedlings that recently sprouted.

Status
Not open for further replies.