Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Re: Deluxestogie's Endoskeletal Wood Tobacco Kiln / Flue-cure chamber

That was really a good idea to have a replacement controller !

I wonder : you should perhaps try to put a second controller in the kiln, set up to a slightly higher temp, so if the first stop working, the second would cut the power to avoid a waste of good tobacco, no ?

I'm always buying extra stuff for an emergency. I have 2 spare controllers too. Just this past summer I bought a 30# can of R-134 ( refrigerant for cars) because the can I had was getting just a little low. I took my new spare to store with the other one and decided to clean up the area a bit and what do I discover? I already had a spare. So now I have a spare to the spare. I do the same thing with seeds. I always save 2 sets of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Charly View Post
    ...the second would cut the power to avoid a waste of good tobacco...
    The Crockpot itself is internally temperature regulated, and is running at only about 70 Watts on its "low" setting. Since I look at the temperature display on the controller every time I walk within view (maybe 20 times a day), it probably can't overheat too much. When the temp normally drops to 120ºF, causing the Crockpot to resume heating, it takes an hour or more to heat back up to 125ºF, which is the maximum set point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitterbugdude View Post
    ...what do I discover? I already had a spare. So now I have a spare to the spare.
    Then it's not the result of old age and failing memory? Whew!

Bob

I have knocked around ideas of building a kiln/flue. I've got plenty of time before I'd need one. Recently we knocked out the wall to our extra bedroom and made the living room about 15x21. It gives us more room but it has eliminated the idea of building a kiln/flue in that room. I have no basement, garage, or covered porch. My question is does anyone have a kiln/flue which is exposed to the outdoor weather directly? If I build one it will have to be outdoors. As it stands I plan on just air curing but I'd love to age some leaf and have a good bit of tobacco to puff on instead of aging it 6months to a year naturally.

Mine is in the carport; just a roof attached to the house. It get no sun directly although the roof get sun for half a day. I get a nice breeze (or howling gale) blowing through so I colour cure in there as well and dry in my sheds/workshop. Seems to work for me.
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead. All the pain is felt by others.
    The same thing happens when you are stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by riverstone View Post
    Mine is in the carport; just a roof attached to the house. It get no sun directly although the roof get sun for half a day. I get a nice breeze (or howling gale) blowing through so I colour cure in there as well and dry in my sheds/workshop. Seems to work for me.
    Thanks for the input River. I wish I had a covered carport. My kiln/flue will have to be right in the elements and that kinda concerns me cause it gets hot as hell in AL. I would think it would need maybe extra insulation or something like that. I dunno? Air curing should be pretty easy with our high humidity and hot temps in Aug n Sept.

I have often pondered the use of a resin storage shed as a kiln. For example:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-...-6-ft/50148200

The one shown above includes a floor. Presumably, these can withstand hot, summertime, outdoor temperatures. If you can determine the actual plastic used, then you can look up its physical properties (and max working temp) at USPlastic.com: http://www.usplastic.com/knowledgeba...contentkey=598 or one of their other knowledgebase articles.

If you're handy with construction, you could make a smaller one for outdoor use. Polycarbonate sheet is definitely stable at kiln and flue-cure temps.
    http://www.polycarbonatestore.com/ and can be constructed with aluminum channel bars.

The trick would be rigging safe outdoor electrical to the shed.

Bob

EDIT: With a kiln outdoors, the colder and windier the ambient conditions, the higher the electric bill.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910