Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

starting your plants under '' lights'' > share your experience,

after the bad weather we have been having,,, and the in-ability for me to take the seedlings out daily,

ive decided to just take some extra flourescent housings i had, 4 footers,,,

and put them on a timer and just start them indoors,{in cases of good weather i will let them get some sunlight,,,} i mixed the tubes up... some are cool tubes{ for vegging} and some are WARM tubes for fruiting,,

tommorow im gonna get some chain and hang them up, so i can adjust them later, for i may start some of the veggies under here also,,

>
    By chickenhawk435 at 2012-02-14
    //
    ///
    ///

>>>> this year i chose to start them in VERMICULITE,,,,and i like it so much i may use this in many upcoming grows,,,,

.............................................................................

YOUR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WITH USING LIGHTS ???

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my front yard and Mt. St. Helens to the North

Boy you guys down South sure can start early
    I'm growing a few tomato plants under lights at this stage
    We still got snow on the ground in places

Banned

We got 4 inches of snow or more last night. First real snow we have gotten this year.
    Nice trays you have there. I am waiting for more trays and inserts to arrive. We used Dixie Cups last year and it was a bit of a pain keeping them all setting level and flat when the trays got moved.

I don't use lights for starting seeds, but I can tell you the lights must be kept close to the seedlings or they will get leggy. Leggy baccy don't grow good.

Last year, I used 72-cell flats. They did okay, but I had the suspicion that they were feeling crowded. (I'm a plant whisperer.) So this year I'm going to 48-cell flats. As soon as each variety's seeds have sprouted a radicle, it will be moved to the 48-cell flat, one sprouting seed per cell. I have two small seedling heat mats to place under the seedling flats, so I can--at least for now--warm two flats at a time.

By the way, Johnny's Select Seeds has the small heat mats on sale for ~$25 each through February.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by FmGrowit View Post
    I don't use lights for starting seeds, but I can tell you the lights must be kept close to the seedlings or they will get leggy. Leggy baccy don't grow good.
    true,

i got my lights damn near sitting on the trays...

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my front yard and Mt. St. Helens to the North

The lights I just got say to keep the lights no higher than 3 inches above the top leaves.
    That's why I built a light fixture so I could adjust the height for tomato's and pepper plants
    But for Tobacco they really don't grow tall in the first 6 weeks.
    I got one tomato though that survived the cat attack that has a real thick stem just like a store
    bought so far.

PS: The cat almost was murdered in his sleep once I figured out what happened to the plants

1 members have Nominated this post.

Ive been starting and growing plants under lights for 25 years. Fluorescent shoud be as close as you can get them. they will burn tender leaves but thats better than leggey plants. Concreate blocks patio blocks and bricks are better than agusting chains.shelfing 1by 12s for a base. move your plants up. Not the lites down.

Move plant down as they grow.

Chicken

I plan to start mine under about 6 23watt CFL's. I might use the old lava lamp to keep some heat in the wardrobe. I also started the herb garden, just waiting for GC to figure out those server issues to post it.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast