Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

starting your plants under '' lights'' > share your experience,

Here is a photo of how close a 4 foot florescent bulb is to my starts. The measurement if you can read it on the ruler is 2.5 inches. I have them even closer this year.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	normal_Light_position.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	344

Quote Originally Posted by HaGGarD View Post
    Chicken

I plan to start mine under about 6 23watt CFL's. I might use the old lava lamp to keep some heat in the wardrobe. I also started the herb garden, just waiting for GC to figure out those server issues to post it.
    glad to see you here,,,,

and good luck on those seeds i sent you,,,

with a little patience you'll be sucessfull<

Banned

Bob, Just noticed your 48 cell comment. I used 44 dixie cups per 1020 tray last year. big pain and way to much wasted space. We ordered 48 cell inserts for the trays this year. As crowded as the plants get with 44 per tray I find it hard to imagine getting 72 of them in one.

Founding Member

Imagine 252 , Some farmers use 288 , I use 200 cell the key is to mow the tops of the plants off to let air through . This also makes the stem bigger .Trimming does not hurt the plants in any way

When I plant , the setter dumps about one cup of water to each plant . There after they are watered by the next rain .If it is very hot weather the plants will lay down like they are dead during the hot day and raise up at night , after the third morning they will stand and stay up and grow . If the weather is not hot they will not lay down (Wilt ) .

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Bob, Just noticed your 48 cell comment. I used 44 dixie cups per 1020 tray last year. big pain and way to much wasted space. We ordered 48 cell inserts for the trays this year. As crowded as the plants get with 44 per tray I find it hard to imagine getting 72 of them in one.

Banned

Larry, I am going to try the trimming trick with a couple of our trays this year. See if I can't keep them indoors for 6 weeks even in 48 cell trays. I am also counting on the slowing them down info you posted a while back if we run into a late freeze like we did last year.

Real sun lite is better than art.lites. Take i'm out when you can.

Re: starting your plants under '' lights'' > share your experience,

Is anyone using led grow lights? if you are what wattage are you using? I ordered some off ebay and they are 4.5 watts x6 bulbs. Is this going to be enough for the seedlings or did I just waste some more money? Thanks for any input. Russ

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OU:CA:3160
    Last edited by Lakota; 03-10-2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: add link

Are they the blue or red,,? Or both? Cause the blue will be better for wen your plants are little,
    From my experience with led lights and others I know that use them indoors ,they work well
    And are alot cheaper on power compared to h.p.s or h.i.d lamps,and way less heat to deal with
    .they still produce good plants.they're quite pricey tho,did they cost much??

the lamps have 60 red and 20 blue lamps. The cost was 64 dollars canadian and the shipping was free. that was for the six bulbs.

Are they the blue or red,,? Or both? Cause the blue will be better for wen your plants are little,
    From my experience with led lights and others I know that use them indoors ,they work well
    And are alot cheaper on power compared to h.p.s or h.i.d lamps,and way less heat to deal with
    .they still produce good plants.they're quite pricey tho,did they cost much??
    Apparently l.e.d use 65% less power than h.p.s lamps etc

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast