Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

starting your plants under '' lights'' > share your experience,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakota

Founding Member
the bulbs are both red and blue. 60 red and 20 blue leds to each bulb. I was thinking of cfls, but a 42 watt bulb was a little pricey when you buy 6 of them. The power consumption was als0 a factor. The way my trays will be setup is 48x24 inches. I am hoping 3 bulbs will cover each tray. I have to trays on my starting table.

jekylnz

They will work fine,the best thing about them is u can have them touching ur plants without burning them,also the power cost thing
But no heat also inturn reduces power cost in extraction fans etc,for seedlings it pays to hav some warmth tho.but u probably know that aye

jekylnz

Ive heare 3 to 1 ratio red to blue is pretty good for the general cycle of a plant,but thats more concentrating on the flower side of things
,,but I think the will still be fine .ideally wen they're little tho they would be better under a 3 to 1 blue to red( 60 blue 20 red)
They tend to need more uv young then more infer red as they get older or flower
But the bit of red would stop them growing to leggy as others b4 have mentioned,which u tend to have to b carefull of under tube
Lights,or most veg lights

Lakota

Founding Member
I will only be using it for the 6 weeks and I will try to keep the lights as close to the plants as possible. Hopefully this will stop them from being leggy.If that does not work then I guess I will just bury them deeper when moving to the grow area

jekylnz

alot of people cant get rid of them fast enough in nz,I think the just get sick them when they have to move them,I usually just try to grab the heat pad b4 the chuck it away for seedraising and under my reptile tanks

Boboro

I worked offshore so I thought those nitemares were normal. The plants I start in the shed I keep a radiant heater under the shelf.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im gonna start mine under a 400 watt metal halide grow bulb.

i just found out i may have the next week off, so i may get things going this weekend,
i have a 1,000 watt metal halide system, but no bulb, and they cost $ 70.00

i got it for free, minus the bulb, but im thinking the 400 will be plenty, for no more than 4 trays under it, but if the light '' spreads'' real good, i may put more trays under, it, to start my yard plants with,

but im mainlly focusing on the bacca and the tomatoes, for the first run,

jekylnz

U can run high pressure sodium bulbs in a metal halide ballast,as long as the starter is capable.I used to make my own ballasts,they're pretty simple.at the most u my have to change the starter.or the existing one wont last as long running hps lamps.hps have a better spectrum tho

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i like starting my seedlings under lights. i think they get a healthier start on life, getting the full spectrum of light, from a metal halide,

last year i started under c,.f.l.'s with plant bulbs and was very sucessfull.

allthough this year im gonna be using more trays than i got c.f.l.'s,,,,, so i aqquired these ballasts earlier in the year for this reason,

using lights lets you cheat mother nature, allthough using them makes you mother nature, so you gotta stay on top of things, thier future is in your hands, now,

Lakota

Founding Member
I think i will start 2 different grows, I would hate to put all my eggs in 1 basket and screw it up with the lights. I only get 1 chance to grow, june july and august, there would no be a second chance in canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.