Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

starting your plants under '' lights'' > share your experience,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I have sprouts. I'm transplanting the Izmir seedlings into the float trays later today. Maybe the Maden too. The YTB is not far behind and my second start on Burley and Virginia popped out last night or today. My first tobacco!! I already thought of a company name: Hole Leif Tobacco. Has a nice ring doesn't it?

Boboro

I,ll start 50 more tonite. If I can handle the narcodics that I hope will shut down thease damm allergies that are about to make my head explode. That will make 150.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
normally i have used cfl's.

but i aqquired a good light, that should be enough to fill the room i plan on starting them in,

>the light a 400 watt h.i..d. metal halide

>
sam2873b.jpg

the room i normally use as a kiln, but it being empty right now, this is where, i plasnn on putting hundreds of little plants at,

>
sam2872w.jpg

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Guesses: White hose is for water maybe that runs to a sink or washer? Red tape for safety distance from heat from the heater?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Is that a heater in the second pic? How do you like it?

its a damn good heater,,, it puts out plenty of heat, and with a fan blowing on the heater, it circulates very good,

the setup worked very good last year for a kiln,

Hey Chicken why the red tape? What are those white "looks like duct" for?

those are exaust hoses, [ dryer duct] in case it gets too hot in there, i have a dual squirrel fan under the '' area''

eventually all of this will be hooked up to a controller,

to exaust too much heat / humidity.

and thats not '' red tape'' it's the bottom of a street sign, the walls are lined with these signs for insulation, and over them i have some mylar, to reflect the light, so if i do fill the room up, all the light i can get will be used, the floor and ceiling i lined with styrofoam, the room is insulated real good,

ive done a lot of '' future'' planning on this room, working all winter, on the '' small things'' to get it to this point,

Fisherman

Dum question #222:

What technically is germination?

I got pretty good germination on my tobacco plants under lights and now are sprouting some cardinal vine flowers to plant on a fence as privacy screen. Package says 10-14 days for germination and it has been only 72 hours and I have a root and stalk.......

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr have to order more seeds. Seems someone else's idea of the name isnt the same as mine was. I used to grow the cypress vine according to the plant site I ordered instead of cardinal vine....
Oh well they say the one I got outgrows the other and are similar but I liked the feathery texture of the "cypress vine" that I thought was cardinal vine... It will grow 20' and makes an almost unpenatratable screen. And self seeds.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
That light looks like a H P S not M H

your correct,, the bulb i got shown, is my h.p.s. bulb,

the m.h. i got is a 400 much smaller,

the plants aint got big enough to go under the light yet.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Im getting 2 2ft 4 bulb t5ho in a few weeks, comes with 4 sunlight bulbs but im changing out 2 on each set with blue bulbs. If its good enough for marry jane growers its good enough for me.

Fisherman

My old regular 4' florescent w/ grow and reg bulbs is doing ok for me.... The flowers I planted reached full sprout in 5 days instead of the 10-14 it said on pack. It said germination in 10-14 days.... Course I still don't really know what they mean by that tho.... One place says when a seed takes in water , another says when root or stem breaks free of seed and one even said it was reason for WW2....:)

Fisherman

Small update 6-11-13:
Started 2 flats of seedling a week or so apart under a floresent shop lite which had 1 grow lite and 1 regular brite light. At the end of the flat I had a 100 watt heat lamp and covered the flat with plastic dome.
Both flats were in same area and the ones closest to the heat lamp didn't germinate well and the next 4 6-packs sprouted like 200% better on the 6-packs under the grow lite. The remaining 6 6-packs germinated well and.

I can rule out one flat as poor seeds in the end by the heat lamp as all came from same seller.

AmaxB

Small update 6-11-13:
Started 2 flats of seedling a week or so apart under a floresent shop lite which had 1 grow lite and 1 regular brite light. At the end of the flat I had a 100 watt heat lamp and covered the flat with plastic dome.
Both flats were in same area and the ones closest to the heat lamp didn't germinate well and the next 4 6-packs sprouted like 200% better on the 6-packs under the grow lite. The remaining 6 6-packs germinated well and.

I can rule out one flat as poor seeds in the end by the heat lamp as all came from same seller.

Did mine with shop lights the kind that hold 2 lights and did well. Did 2 different ways of germinating and seed from two different sources. Source A did well source B did poorly I am convinced the seed source matters a great deal. While methods of germinating can be comparable

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Do keep in mind that the few seeds that actually do require light for germination (most don't) are awakened by less that 1 minute of light exposure. I have used no light for germination the past two seasons. Also, an ambient temp of greater than ~85ºF is likely to reduce the germination rate.

Bob

skychaser

Do keep in mind that the few seeds that actually do require light for germination (most don't) are awakened by less that 1 minute of light exposure.

Can you site some references for that statement? I'd love to read some real studies on the subject.

My experience is that there are a types few that are very light sensitive for good germination. Maybe 3-4%. Germ rates are near 0 or are very low until the flats are moved out into full daylight. Then nearly every seed I planted sprouts in a second flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.