Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: starting your plants under '' lights'' > share your experience,

That light looks like a H P S not M H

Quote Originally Posted by COLIN View Post
    That light looks like a H P S not M H
    your correct,, the bulb i got shown, is my h.p.s. bulb,

the m.h. i got is a 400 much smaller,

the plants aint got big enough to go under the light yet.
    GIVING BIG TOBACCO THE MIDDLE FINGER,

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Dum question #222: What technically is germination?
    Dumb answer # 223. It's what started WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
    Dumb answer # 223. It's what started WWII.
    I asked for that I guess

Im getting 2 2ft 4 bulb t5ho in a few weeks, comes with 4 sunlight bulbs but im changing out 2 on each set with blue bulbs. If its good enough for marry jane growers its good enough for me.
    The line between what is known scientifically and what has to be assumed in order to support knowledge is impossible to draw. Memory itself is an internal rumour;
    twitter: @uktobaccogrower

My old regular 4' florescent w/ grow and reg bulbs is doing ok for me.... The flowers I planted reached full sprout in 5 days instead of the 10-14 it said on pack. It said germination in 10-14 days.... Course I still don't really know what they mean by that tho.... One place says when a seed takes in water , another says when root or stem breaks free of seed and one even said it was reason for WW2....

Small update 6-11-13:
    Started 2 flats of seedling a week or so apart under a floresent shop lite which had 1 grow lite and 1 regular brite light. At the end of the flat I had a 100 watt heat lamp and covered the flat with plastic dome.
    Both flats were in same area and the ones closest to the heat lamp didn't germinate well and the next 4 6-packs sprouted like 200% better on the 6-packs under the grow lite. The remaining 6 6-packs germinated well and.

I can rule out one flat as poor seeds in the end by the heat lamp as all came from same seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Small update 6-11-13:
    Started 2 flats of seedling a week or so apart under a floresent shop lite which had 1 grow lite and 1 regular brite light. At the end of the flat I had a 100 watt heat lamp and covered the flat with plastic dome.
    Both flats were in same area and the ones closest to the heat lamp didn't germinate well and the next 4 6-packs sprouted like 200% better on the 6-packs under the grow lite. The remaining 6 6-packs germinated well and.

I can rule out one flat as poor seeds in the end by the heat lamp as all came from same seller.
    Did mine with shop lights the kind that hold 2 lights and did well. Did 2 different ways of germinating and seed from two different sources. Source A did well source B did poorly I am convinced the seed source matters a great deal. While methods of germinating can be comparable
    Any Thing I say is a matter of discovery and opinion - I leave fact to those who are educated
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't move a mountain but can toss a pebble - If I toss many I'll have a mountain where I want it..........

Do keep in mind that the few seeds that actually do require light for germination (most don't) are awakened by less that 1 minute of light exposure. I have used no light for germination the past two seasons. Also, an ambient temp of greater than ~85ºF is likely to reduce the germination rate.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by deluxestogie View Post
    Do keep in mind that the few seeds that actually do require light for germination (most don't) are awakened by less that 1 minute of light exposure.
    Can you site some references for that statement? I'd love to read some real studies on the subject.

My experience is that there are a types few that are very light sensitive for good germination. Maybe 3-4%. Germ rates are near 0 or are very low until the flats are moved out into full daylight. Then nearly every seed I planted sprouts in a second flush.
    His name was Seth Rich.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast