Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Re: starting your plants under '' lights'' > share your experience,

I always start mine under 4' 32watt bulbs. They do great there. I keep them as close to the plants as possible.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tobacco under lights.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	5628
    Luke 22:36

Are these "regular" shop light bulbs or spectrum specific bulbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Small update 6-11-13:
    Started 2 flats of seedling a week or so apart under a floresent shop lite which had 1 grow lite and 1 regular brite light. At the end of the flat I had a 100 watt heat lamp and covered the flat with plastic dome.
    Both flats were in same area and the ones closest to the heat lamp didn't germinate well and the next 4 6-packs sprouted like 200% better on the 6-packs under the grow lite. The remaining 6 6-packs germinated well and.

I can rule out one flat as poor seeds in the end by the heat lamp as all came from same seller.
    pic explains theory better :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b1.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	381.0 KB 
ID:	5629

The regular bulb is the one over the back side of flat in both instances.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitterbugdude View Post
    The one I used until I got some fluorescent tubes was a 500 watt halogen that threw off heat like an oven. I ditched it as soon as possible. Then I went with heat mats under the flats and fluorescent aquarium/plant bulbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
    The one I used until I got some fluorescent tubes was a 500 watt halogen that threw off heat like an oven. I ditched it as soon as possible. Then I went with heat mats under the flats and fluorescent aquarium/plant bulbs.
    For light that is exactly what I used 4 footers and they worked well did not use heat mat but think it is a good Idea.
    Any Thing I say is a matter of discovery and opinion - I leave fact to those who are educated
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't move a mountain but can toss a pebble - If I toss many I'll have a mountain where I want it..........

2 members have Nominated this post.

Quote Originally Posted by skychaser View Post
    Can you site some references for that statement? I'd love to read some real studies on the subject.
    Sky,
    That was a great question. It took me several hours to track down scattered sources that I've come across over the past few years. I should start by saying that I misspoke about my germination methods. These were not in total darkness, as I had implied. Rather, the translucent plastic cups that contained my germination mix, and onto which I lightly sprinkled tobacco seed, were held in the low 80s for temp, and exposed only to incidental, ambient room light--never to direct sunlight--until after germination. The only exceptions were with the FTT grow-outs, some attempts being exposed to several hours of direct sunlight each morning.

So...here are some references:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.seedbiology.de/pdf/planta96.pdf
    Havana 425...light is required to trigger germination of this variety....

http://www.seedbiology.de/pdf/planta96.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.tobaccoscienceonline.org/doi/pdf/10.3381/0082-4623-45.1.6
    [tobacco] Seed stored under proper conditions for several months, however, usually lose this dormancy.
    ...seed lots can vary greatly in their response to priming, even within a cultivar. Because of this variability, the optimum priming conditions must be determined for each seed lot in order to obtain the greatest seed-priming response. Preliminary research by Smith et al. demonstrated differences in cultivar response to priming. For example, priming increased the rate of emergence of NC 71, NC 72, and K 394, but decreased the emergence rate for K 326 and K 346.

http://www.tobaccoscienceonline.org/...82-4623-45.1.6
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.seedbiology.de/dormancy.asp#arabidopsis
    Nicotiana species differ in the degree of seed dormancy...: N. tabacum and N. sylvestris have a low level of dormancy (exception: photodormancy of N. tabacum cv. Havana 425...)
    Brief treatment of imbibed photodormant seeds with red light activates the phytochrome signal transduction pathway resulting in the release of photodormancy and the promotion of germination.
    This effect varies greatly for different seed batches as reported for several tobacco cultivars.

http://www.seedbiology.de/dormancy.asp#arabidopsis
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.seedbiology.de/afterripening.asp
    Two recent publications provide evidence for gene expression in air-dry Nicotiana seeds during after-ripening. A rapid promotion of testa rupture of Nicotiana tabacum seeds occurs after ca. 60 days of dry storage...

http://www.seedbiology.de/afterripening.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2430594?uid=3739656&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21102303412141
    The above tables are partial results of some light priming experiments. What is of interest is the durations of light exposure (seconds to minutes, rather than hours or days).

My impressions from these and other similar sources are that:
    • most tobacco seed that has been properly stored over the winter is not photodormant
    • a small number of specific varieties are clearly photodormant (e.g. Havana 425)
    • exposure to red light for some number of minutes, after the seed has imbibed water, will overcome any photodormancy
    • optimal timing of light exposure is between 2 and 5 days after sowing
    • the degree of photodormancy is dependent on germination temperature
    • those who undertake these studies seldom know much about tobacco varieties other than the tiny number of varieties that they work with
    • nearly all of the published studies on tobacco seed germination are under unnatural conditions--precisely filtered wavelengths of light; filter paper; petri dishes; odd temperature regimens

I hope some of this is useful. Virtually none of the studies were designed to directly answer our real world questions.

Bob

Founding Member

Over the years I've tried both approaches - lighted, and dark. There has been no significant difference to either approach with the seeds I've been using.

There has been a faster show with 80 deg temp compared with 70 deg temps in my germination chamber.

What has been interesting is the variation in time for the first sprouts to show between different varieties. Some are off the mark in two to three days, and some take a week. The warmer temps might make a day's difference.

But there doesn't seem to be any difference in long term growth - all progress at more or less the same pace until transplant time.

Having said that, the Iranian Schirazi I grew this year was a couple of inches higher at first haircut time, but after that it kept pace with the others.

Put them all in the ground last night and this morning - along with cutworm bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Jitterbugdude View Post
    $10 walmart fixtures, and the highest K rating I could get at Lowe's for 32 watt.
    Luke 22:36

Thanks Bob! You da man I'll be doing some reading later tonight. Didn't mean to make you waste your whole afternoon. lol
    Q. Why did the Libertarian cross the road? A. It's none of your damn business.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in NB View Post
    There has been a faster show with 80 deg temp compared with 70 deg temps in my germination chamber.

What has been interesting is the variation in time for the first sprouts to show between different varieties. Some are off the mark in two to three days, and some take a week. The warmer temps might make a day's difference.

But there doesn't seem to be any difference in long term growth - all progress at more or less the same pace until transplant time.
    Yup. I agree. I have observed the same things. I have also transplanted newly sprouted seedlings from 6 packs into 4"x4" pots and let each grow side by side. The 4x4's produce a much bigger plant by transplant time than keeping them in six packs does. But once in the ground things quickly equal out. In 3 weeks time you can't tell a difference. Using the bigger starting pots gained me nothing in the long run. I just used a lot more starting mix than I needed to.
    Q. Why did the Libertarian cross the road? A. It's none of your damn business.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast