Whole Leaf Tobacco
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Re: starting your plants under '' lights'' > share your experience,

Quote Originally Posted by skychaser View Post
    I'll be doing some reading later tonight. Didn't mean to make you waste your whole afternoon.
    It was not wasted time. Your question made me realize that my recollection of the details was fuzzy. It was helpful for me to sift through it.

FYI, the jstore site is the journal repository that always wants you to pay to see the entire article (more than just the abstract). I discovered today that they now allow mere commoners (not just university affiliated researchers) to register for free reading of entire articles. The catch is that you get a 3 item "bookshelf," and each selected item must remain for 15 days, before you can remove it. So it does allow you to read 6 entire articles per month for free--a huge step up from none. [I registered as an "Independent Researcher," which is true, in its own way.]

The cited article, http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.230...21102303412141, with the tables, requires registering to see. The whole thing is a lot of detailed biochemistry and induction of plant hormones, but it did give me the light duration.

Bob

Hello,this topic has contradictions with the : for a lighting and counter lighting.But, can we use one lamp or more for the light but also the heat necessary to growth. I think an electric light bulb halogen 2500 K° plus two low-energy light bulbs to 6400 K°. your opinion ?

I'd say do some experimenting....me personally I prefer to use a grow bulb..not sure the Kelvin range numbers..

So lets call it a metal halide light for initial growth..the high pressure sodium Kelvin range bulb is for the fruiting stage of a plant..so me personally I have no use to use a h.p.s. bulb when starting my bacca..just a m.h. bulb
    GIVING BIG TOBACCO THE MIDDLE FINGER,

Quote Originally Posted by Gavroche View Post
    Hello,this topic has contradictions with the : for a lighting and counter lighting.But, can we use one lamp or more for the light but also the heat necessary to growth. I think an electric light bulb halogen 2500 K° plus two low-energy light bulbs to 6400 K°. your opinion ?
    Growing tobacco requires high Kelvin light for leaf growth. The halogen light is no good. Low Kelvin light is used for flowering / budding.

You also want the bulbs as close to the tobacco leaves as possible to maximize the available light, (if you double the distance, you get one quarter of the light intensity). Therefore, an energy efficient tube is best for starting tobacco plants. They don't get too hot for the little guys like halogen would.

Metal halide is high Kelvin, but the initial monetary investment is high. That's a super bright light, you keep higher above the plants where you can illuminate multiple larger plants. I feel it's overkill for seedlings though.
    Now all them things that seemed so important, well mister they vanished right into the air - The Boss

Also, it's more important that the roots are warm. Heating just the plants with a light won't heat the soil nearly as much.
    Now all them things that seemed so important, well mister they vanished right into the air - The Boss

Ok, so a heating element to your terrarium at the bottom of the earth and a neon lamp "light of day" with reflector is the ideal ?

Traduct by
    http://www.convertworld.com/

heat mats + full spectrum fluorescent tubes almost touching the plants. I put aluminum foil around the edge to bounce more of the light around and hold heat in. Must have worked well, I ended up with quite a few lbs of quality leaf (I have yet to actually weigh it.)
    "We make our own Whiskey and our own smoke too, aint too many things these ol' boys cain't do..." -A Country Boy Can Survive ,Hank Williams Jr.

Entubado...its how I roll

Quote Originally Posted by Gavroche View Post
    Ok, so a heating element to your terrarium at the bottom of the earth and a neon lamp "light of day" with reflector is the ideal ?

Traduct by
    http://www.convertworld.com/
    The heating element is good. There's actually heating pads, in English they're called a seedling mat. They're the appropriate temperature.

The light is good as long as it's close to the plants. I would suggest from 0.5 to 8cm.

I used heating mats for the first time this past season...and it did make a huge difference...especially if you live in a area that's normally still very cold when it gets time to germinate
    GIVING BIG TOBACCO THE MIDDLE FINGER,

Founding Member

I use flourescent lights too, an inch or so above the starts.
    But am also a firm believer in good ole sunlight. Any time the afternoon temps are 40's or higher, I set the plants outside, starting with just a half-hour, increasing gradually over a few weeks until outside all day, but move back inside overnight or when temps drop to the 30's. Makes for strong transplants with little transplant shock.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast