Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

A question on humidors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

So you suggest I rather use Oak. The problem with the Spanish Cedar is it is only available at a place in Cape Town 1700km away from where I stay, the courier costs is 3x more than the wood.

Gdaddy

Decided to bite the bullet and ordered the Spanish Cedar. No use letting someone make me a nice humidor and the wood is wrong.

Good common sense. You'll be happy years down the road. My father always said "either do it right or don't do it at all."

BarG

Founding Member
Decided to bite the bullet and ordered the Spanish Cedar. No use letting someone make me a nice humidor and the wood is wrong.

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do! I don't know the size of yours is but if and when I build a few small cigar box humidor type I will use different types of wood for exterior and line with 1/4" spanish cedar interior. Even a large one with glass for exhibition you could do the same. I bought a piece of 2"x8"x8' several years ago for $42.00 and it will go to veneers. Thats 10.6 bdft @ just under $4.00 bdft rough lumber.

BarG

Founding Member
You mean to say your doing the whole construction out of the spanish cedar? Your paying to have it done. That is great , Do they have your best interest.

It's wierd, after 41 years of carpentry, I would take interest in a complete and total strangers humidor.

Ben Brand

You mean to say your doing the whole construction out of the spanish cedar? Your paying to have it done. That is great , Do they have your best interest.

It's wierd, after 41 years of carpentry, I would take interest in a complete and total strangers humidor.
Yes the whole humidor will be S Cedar. I got a cabinet make that will make one for me, Wiil place pictures when its done. It will take a while, must courier the wood from Cape Town!!!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Yes the whole humidor will be S Cedar. I got a cabinet make that will make one for me, Wiil place pictures when its done. It will take a while, must courier the wood from Cape Town!!!

Just an observation, Spanish Cedar is great for lining a humidor, but if you want a pretty humidor I would not use it on the outside. It is as plain a species of wood as you are going to find and there is no way to dress it up to make it pretty. You can stain it all one color, but it still won't be pretty. It will function great as a humidor, but it won't be pretty. I would recommend African Mahogany for the outside and line it with Spanish Cedar, especially since the price is the same.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Several layers of mat urethane on the outside might be nice, with or without a prior stain. Or you can rub the exterior with several coats of oil-based furniture polish, like Old English, for a darker, softer appearance.

BallAndChain_1734_SpanishCedar2010_500.JPG

This was whittled (~5 years ago) from a Spanish cedar stick used as a spacer in a cigar box. I didn't spend much effort finishing it. I used Old English polish, and nothing else.

Bob

Ben Brand

Wallace
I hear what you say about the wood not being pretty! I`m a bit strange about wood, I don`t like all the polished or French polished surfaces etc, I like my wood raw and untreated, with a bit of oil on the surface. The wood Bob is showing will do me fine, for me its got character. Thanks for telling me about the wood anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.