Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

A question on humidors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

I found a cabinet maker that will make me a nice small stand up humidor.
The problem- no Spanish Ceder in SA, not even to line out the humidor, only one place keep S Ceder but no stock. They v`e got other Ceders but not S Ceder, what wood can he use to make the humidor out off, with no S Ceder lining.
Ben

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Try Cedrela and other names by which Spanish Cedar is known. Native to Mexico and South America, some species of Spanish Cedar have been naturalized in parts of Africa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedrela

If you can't locate Spanish Cedar, it is a member of the Mahogany family.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My cigar humidor is an antique walnut wash stand (waist high). When I converted it, I lined it with basswood. The basswood imparts no aroma, and serves well to stabilize the humidity. I've been using it since ~1973. There is a layer of black plastic garbage bag sandwiched between the walnut cabinet and the basswood, to protect the cabinet from the moisture, and prevent humidity loss. The twin door closure uses a thin, cork gasket material and magnetic closures. It has an upper drawer, which is handy for holding cutters, lighters and other junk.

So, I would suggest that you have the cabinet maker build a cabinet of any attractive, readily available wood, then line it with basswood. Once you've added a few boxes of cigars that are packaged in Spanish cedar, the cedar aroma will subtly infuse the humidor.

Bob

chris m

I will need to build a new humidor soon . The one I have now is a thompson cigar company one that holds 50 sticks and that's about full . Thinking Bob's idea is a good one and convert something

ArizonaDave

I will need to build a new humidor soon . The one I have now is a thompson cigar company one that holds 50 sticks and that's about full . Thinking Bob's idea is a good one and convert something

Spanish Cedar wood can be found on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...h-alias=aps&field-keywords=Spanish+cedar+wood

Both board and lamination works good. I don't like the trash bag idea because they have built in pesticides, so a clear food grate would work better or cellophane.

Last, but not least, if you just want another humidor pre-built, http://www.cigarbid.com also works. Just type in "Humidor" in the search engine.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't like the trash bag idea because they have built in pesticides...
Valid references, please.

Unless it is stated on the packaging, the bags are just plastic. This subject became a tempest in a teapot for many survivalists. It would be illegal to manufacture pesticides into plastic bags in the US, unless it is disclosed. Trash compacter bags are treated with all kinds of stuff, but it is disclosed on the packaging. Scented bags are disgusting, but not a health risk.

I would worry more about the pesticides that are known to be sprayed on commercial tobacco, and the frequent practice of fumigating tobacco warehouses.

Bob

Hmmm. In 42 years, I've never seen any bug in my humidor. At least that's better than seeing a dead one.

Smokin Harley

I would think that if you used a food grade epoxy to laminate the outer show wood to the inner liner wood ,moisture would not permeate the epoxy and harm the show wood. once cured it should not impart any odor or flavors .

Ben Brand

Bob
Is Basswood the same as Balsa wood. Will Balsa wood work? Remember I live on the anal side of the world. I can get balsa wood, never heard of basswood.
Ben

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob
Is Basswood the same as Balsa wood. Will Balsa wood work? Remember I live on the anal side of the world. I can get balsa wood, never heard of basswood.
Ben
Ben,
Bass tree is a common North American wood: http://forestry.about.com/od/hardwoods/tp/American_Basswood.htm. The wood is sturdy, all white, and commonly used for whittling projects. For my humidor, I had a cabinet maker rip it into 3/8 inch planks.

Balsa is a tropical tree.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Bob
Ben

Did the supplier say when he would have Spanish Cedar back in stock? You can build the humidor and line it later.

Raodwarior

You can also use mahogany a little be more money but works just like Spanish cedar. If available Honduran Mahogany is the best choice.

BarG

Founding Member
Basswood, American - Latin name =Tilia americana-
Cedar, Spanish -Latin name= Cedrela mexicana

Woods known in one country by a common name are often called something else in another country. All woods have a latin name to differentiate species and varietys. I would love to get my hands on some old railroad ties[source of material] of Jaharrah, from your country Ben.. Its like a blood red wood and really fine looking, hard as a rock. I saw a table out of it and wanted some ever since.

An example for Basswood; American Linden ,Beetree ,Black limetree,Linn, Linden,Whitewood, Wickup and Yellow Basswood.

An example for Spanish cedar is;Brazillion cedar, Cedro, and honduras cedar.

reference; Albert J. Constantine.......... Know Your Woods.

Last edited:

BarG

Founding Member
When you go buy Mahogany here in the USA you better specify Honduran if thats what you want and be ready to accept the African Mahogany or pay more. Honduran is scarce. There's a difference. It takes a trained eye. There is subtle differences and also in working properties. A friend who builds doors taught me the difference. I have furniture from 25 years ago with honduran and more recent with african.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
If African Cedar is a true Cedar, unlike Spanish Cedar, you may not like that strong smell in your cigars.

Birage

Just my two cents, I had read before that you should never use anything but Spanish Cedar in a humidor. The article said the essential oils in other cedars were not compatible with cigars. I would assume they knew what they were talking about since just like wine, many woods were tried to find the one that works best to improve aroma/flavor. But, having said that, experimenting with just a few cigars can't hurt, might find a better wood that no one knows about.

ArizonaDave

Decided I will use African Cedar, African Mahogany and Spanish Cedar about the same price.
Will post pictures soon.

Is African Cedar a Mahogany variety???

If African Cedar is a true Cedar, unlike Spanish Cedar, you may not like that strong smell in your cigars.

I agree with Knucklehead......go with the African Mahogany, .....cedar, if aromatic, will ruin your cigars. Spanish Cedar is the Best, especially if it's the same price. However, it would be lovely to see a humidor with an exotic African wood on the outside of the humidor! Who knows? Maybe you could start selling special humidors in SA to Cigar lovers?

I have a humidor here that has Oak and Cedar in it, and put my milder Cigars in there. It imparts a special flavor for sure. After all, La Aurora uses old Rum Oak barrels to age their tobaccos. Yes, I use a Rum/Vanilla infusion in that humidor.

Status
Not open for further replies.