Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Squeezyjohn's homemade snus recipe and method

James442

Banned
Full credit goes to Squeezyjohn for this great recipe, thank you for sharing your work. It's a great recipe and it deserves a sticky. If you want to repost it under your name and not this plagiarist I'll delete this one and sticky yours.-smokesahoy

There are many different reasons why people might like to try making their own snus at home. If their country has restrictions on importing snus, because they want to experiment with flavours, or for sheer cheapness! It is as simple as cooking ... really!

There are many recipes, including my own, here on SnusOn, and you will find many more on the wider internet. Much of the knowledge I used to get myself started have to be credited to JustinTempler who used to frequent this forum and whose posts are still some of the most informative on tobacco growing and snus making available on the internet.

This is a cut'n'paste of my blog entry which is simply trying to put together all the basics you will need to get started in one neat place.

INGREDIENTS

Snus is essentially made from 4 basic ingredients: tobacco, water, salt, alkali

TOBACCO FLOUR
This is simply tobacco leaf that has been ground up to a fine powder - you can buy it from Sweden or make it yourself. The kind of tobacco used in most every brand of snus today is Air Cured or Sun Cured - this is because the alternative methods of fire-curing or flue-curing can lead to higher TSNA levels which can in turn increase the risk of mouth cancer. Bearing this in mind - you can create some kind of snus out of every imaginable variety of tobacco if you wish to. The variety or blend used is very influential on the final taste of the snus:

(i) Virginia - normally flue cured - medium strength - light, sweet and aromatic
(ii) Burley - normally air cured - strong - dark bitter and chocolatey
(iii) Dark Air Cured - mainly for cigars - very strong, pungent and bitter
(iv) Oriental (Turkish) - sun cured or air cured - very little nicotine but aromatic - of little value to snus making
(v) Rustica - a wild tobacco type - very high nicotine, but light flavoured and useful. Hard to source - but very easy to grow yourself.

To create flour from your tobacco you will need to first dry it completely in a low oven (or in the full sun of a dry summers day). Then you will need to grind it - coffee grinders with a very fine setting can work - but I do mine in a food blender followed by sieving. Once converted to flour - the tobacco can be kept indefinitely in an airtight jar.

WATER
The only thing to watch out for here is chlorine in tap water which can develop off tastes in the finished snus. You can use bottled spring water or simply leave a jug of water in the fridge overnight to allow the chlorine to evaporate off naturally.

SALT
Simple salt is an important ingredient in snus - but avoid standard table salt as it can contain iodine and other additives to make it pour better. Sea salt or Kosher salt are best.

ALKALI
After cooking the snus you need to raise it's pH by adding an alkali to the recipe. This free-bases the nicotine and also develops the characteristic snus taste. The two ones used are Sodium Carbonate or Potassium Carbonate. Potassium carbonate solution can be bought from oriental supermarkets under the name Lye Water, it's food grade and perfect. To make your own sodium carbonate, take some regular baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and bake it in the oven for at least one hour at above the boiling point of water (100ºC or 212ºF) - when it comes out of the oven it is perfect Sodium Carbonate for making snus with.

FLAVOURINGS (OPTIONAL)
There are two ways to flavour your snus - the most common being to add essences or essential oils after the cooking process. The other type of flavouring is to add spices such as pepper or cinnamon or sweetening agents such as powdered liquorice root - this type of additive is best mixed with the tobacco flour at the beginning.

ADDITIVES (OPTIONAL)
While it is a common aim with home-made stuff to drop the additives in search of a more 'organic' product - several are commonly included in home snus recipes:
(i) Glycerol (Glycerine) - this is only for loose snus recipes and holds the snus together for longer
(ii) Propylene Glycol (PG) - a humectant - it keeps the snus from drying out
(iii) Salmiak (Ammonium Chloride) - more of a flavouring chemical - popular in Scandanavia - an ammonium salt. It is an acquired taste!

EQUIPMENT

Heat control
You need to be able to maintain your snus mix at constant high temperatures (up to 85ºC/185ºF) for long periods of time (longer than 24 hours). Many different approaches have been tried:

1) The swedish snus oven ... basically an insulated cardboard box with an old fashioned light-bulb inside it! With a little care and attention it can maintain a fairly constant temperature but you need to keep an eye on it.
2) A regular oven ... a standard kitchen oven can happily be used to keep temperatures fairly consistent, provided you are not worried about the high energy bills and no-one else in your house wants to cook for a couple of days! The important thing here is to realise that it's the temperature of the snus that is important - not the temperature the oven is set at - so you need to check with a manual thermometer occasionally to see how close you are.
3) The "sous-vide" method ... also known as the crock pot water bath because commercial sous-vide machines are prohibitively expensive and the much cheaper option is to buy a PID device designed to convert a crock-pot (slow cooker) in to a constant temperature controlled water bath. This method has by far the most control over temperature and needs the least monitoring.

And that's about it ... other useful items are:

Water-tight glass storage jars for the snus (use with the crock pot)
Weighing scales
Measuring jug
Mixing bowl
Fork
Coffee Grinder
Food processor
Fridge

THE BASIC METHOD

1 - Add the water and salt to the tobacco flour and mix thoroughly
Firstly I dissolve the salt in the water - and then I mix with the tobacco. I find that doing this in a large mixing bowl with a fork is the best way to ensure the water and tobacco are thoroughly mixed together to form a light brown paste. Transfer back to the glass jar and compress down before the next step. A general rule of thumb is using between 100 and 150ml water and 6-9g salt per 100g of tobacco flour. The amount of water depends on how absorbent your particular tobacco flour is - My standard recipe is 120ml water and 8g salt per 100g of tobacco flour. In imperial measures that works out at just over half a cup of water and a level teaspoon of coarse ground salt per ¼ lb of tobacco flour.

2 - The first cook
The snus then needs to be brought to a high temperature and maintained there. You can go between 55 and 85ºC (130 - 185ºF) - but the lower the temperature the longer you need. A rough rule of thumb is that the upper temperature of 85ºC (185ºF) needs to be maintained for at least 24 hours whereas with the lower temperature of 55ºC (130ºF) you need at least 6 days! The temperature does have an effect on the taste of the finished product with lower temperatures keeping far more of the aromas of the original tobacco in tact and higher temperatures tasting dark and more cooked.

The best test of whether your snus is fully cooked is to note the colour - when it hits a dark chocolate brown it is ready for the next step.

3 - Freebasing the nicotine with an alkali
This step is simply to take the snus from it's heat source and adding either sodium carbonate or potassium carbonate, mixing thoroughly and returning to the heat for a further 8 hours. If using dry powdered carbonate then 5-10g per 100g of tobacco flour can be added. The more carbonate you use the stronger your snus will be - but if it is very high then the alkalinity can make it hurt your lips so use common sense. If using potassium carbonate in the form of lye water add 1.5-3 tsps of the solution. Given a normal tobacco strength - 7g of powder or 2 tsps of lye water is sufficient for a normal strength snus.

You can try your snus at this point - but be warned - it will taste horrible! The reaction with the alkali causes a lot of ammonia to be given off and the pH will be far too high for your lip too. It will not be good to use until it has had a further weeks ageing to allow the ammonia to gas off.

4 - Flavouring
This is where you can let your creativity run wild! In addition to the classic essential oils, you can also add just about anything you can eat provided it can be mixed with the snus properly. Espresso coffee, booze of any description, spices, minced anchovies ... the only rule I follow here is that it must not make the snus too wet to use. The other thing to note is that it is VERY easy to over flavour your snus at this point, especially with essential oils. A nice subtle taste might be achieved with only 1/10th of a drop of essential oil - so experiment with your oils diluted in a little vodka otherwise your project might be ruined.

5 - Ageing
What we're doing here is not really ageing ... it's allowing the reaction started in step 3 to completely finish. In the pursuit of freshness it's best done in the fridge or other cold place and you need to make sure the ammonia gas can escape from the container your snus is sitting in. Meanwhile all the flavour compounds you have added will mingle with the snus. Let this happen for about a week and then test it.

This is the first time you will really know what your snus tastes like. If you followed a good recipe then hopefully it will be pretty good stuff!

And that's all there is to it ... I know this guide looks like a long drawn out technical thing - but hopefully it should be all the reference you need to have a go at doing this yourself. It's definitely a lot easier than home brewing (with a lot less equipment) - and you could save yourself a fortune.

Last edited by a moderator:

darren1979

First Time Grower
Re: Home-made snus - an instruction manual

James, your meant to put a link back to the original writer. I'm sure John won't mind as he's a member of this forum but it's a more of a curtsey.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Great recipe, working on another batch now.

To try the carrotte, I ordered a pound of fire cured 309 from Don, planning in doing a half pound of that, midrib and all with a half pound of dark air same thing. Should be a brisk blend:) flavoring will be splenda and lorann cherry extract. I always loved the Smokey cherry mix.

squeezyjohn

I must have missed this the first time round! Anyhow ... I think it's great that I can share the information I have amassed while experimenting with various recipes and techniques as much as I can as there's so little out there on the internet in English regarding snus making. I'm not bothered about plagiarising or anything like that!

Good luck with your batch SmokesAhoy! I've tried fire-cured and latakia in my blends even down to as low as 2% and I just can't stand the taste it ends up being after the snus processing has done it's job ... I find that the cooking and alkali tends to leave even a trace of fire-cured with a dreadful bitter and burnt rubber taste ... it ends up nothing like the fragrant smoky leaf it started off as!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Crap thanks for the warning, I'll definitely not do a large batch of that then, maybe a tiny batch to see how bad though.

Snusser

Thanks for the recipe Squeezyjohn.

For a cooker, I thought I would pass along this idea to you guys.
I had a long unused 2 lb Oster bread maker machine. The loaves were funky shaped and it didn't really have many settings. It was a cheapo.
It was on the verge of getting tossed a number of times.

So, I find Swedish snus recipes on line. I have not made a batch yet, but am very close.
Ebay has these incredibly cheap temperature controllers. They are not fancy PID, just selectable setpoint, hystersis, probe correction, max and min alarms, etc.

Search for W1209. They are under $3.00. I now have an obsolete bread maker turned into a water bath sous-vide cooker. I think I will call mine the snus-o-matic.
I gutted all the old bread maker electronics, supplied an external 12 VDC power supply for the W1209 controller and run the heating element from this controllers built-in relay.
The poached egg I made tonight holding +- 2 degrees C during the cooking process was delicious.

If you have any electronics background, this is an easy and worthwhile hack.

squeezyjohn

Wow! That level of elec-trickery is way beyond me and well done for your build. I assume that you are somehow suspending the snus in a container within a water bath created by the bread maker rather than just putting the snus ingredients in the bread maker as that would just burn the snus on the outside .... however the dough hook would be incredibly useful for mixing the snus together!

Snusser

There is just enough room to float a 3 cup glass canning jar in the breadmaker pan.
Since the temperatures involved are below boiling, I assume no pressures are created that would break the jar.
I am fairly certain that the 10amp relay built into the W1209 controller would handle a crock pot as well.

My first batch of snus has been aging a week. I used 5 parts Virginia to 1 part Burley for this blend.
I may have made a mistake, and did not completely dry the leaves before grinding.

The taste is not horrible and the nicotine is certainly present. However the aroma leaves a bit to be desired.
It does not have the rich scent of commercial snus, it is more of a 'green', raw scent.
Does completely drying the leaves and rehydrating during snus making alter the scent profile in anyone's experience?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I have never had store bought snus so cannot say, but organoleptic compounds are released at different temperatures so it's possible your method is not hitting the right temps for the right times. Your mix looks right as far as the type, and you remembered the salt and the alkaline solution? Missing those 2 adds would result in a tobacco blend I would described like you did, raw and bland.

Strike that part about temps lol, looks like you got that part in spades. Salt+pH and the resulting ammonia missing from the blend might be all it is now.

Snusser

Six to eight weeks is the recommended minimum of most guys for ageing a batch after cooking. I should be patient for another month or two. :)

Most store bought Swedish snus has a savory, rich, moist, earthy scent to it. It really smells good. Almost like sweet garden compost with tobacco overtones.
That said, of the 20 different commercial brands and flavors of snus I have tried, I have thrown out about 10 percent as horrible tasting. Taste is very subjective.

This recipe produces useable snus even on my first attempt. I will count that as success! Experimentation and practice from here on.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah don't throw any experiments away. An example to make my point is some that utilized dark fired. After cook it tastes like a burning tire smells. A month after cook the tire taste is in the background, after that it keeps fading.

I took one tobacco log out that had been in the freezer for a very long time, the burnt rubber is entirely gone, it's sweet and ever so slightly smokey. Really nice.

I guess what I'm saying is don't toss any if you have the cold storage space, even batches that are disgusting initially turn out great. Granted no one wants to repeat a recipe that takes a year to complete, but at least those batches don't need to be wasted.

Snusser

Whoa Nelly! My first batch was too wet. After driving some of the moisture out on a cookie sheet in the oven, enough to form a large pea sized piece for under the upper lip easily with my fingers...

20 minutes in, this blows away any store bought snus for the flavor and nic hit ramp. Smooth, no niccups or heartburn. No artificial anything.

Honestly, it still smells like hell, but who cares. This is good stuff!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Hehe, I love reading posts like that ^

Another person that can do for themselves.

Age does wonders to tobacco, but you can also experiment with lorann oils and the like. Skies the limit.

Snusser

Has anyone tried pre-treating cured tobacco by compressing the pliable leaves in an oak box before dehydrating and grinding them for snus?

I think it may be worth an experiment to try for the flavor/chemical reaction.

The process has been used for a long time. The old Swedish texts talk about pressing the tobacco leaves between wooden 'planks'. Oak planks perhaps?

http://ncpedia.org/tobacco/barrels

CobGuy

When full of leaf tobacco, hogsheads weighed about one thousand pounds each. Warehouse workers rolled them to buyers’ wagons or carts. At factories, workers then broke the hogsheads apart, emptied out the tobacco, and sold the barrel parts for scrap wood or firewood.

Awesome!! :D

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Has anyone tried pre-treating cured tobacco by compressing the pliable leaves in an oak box before dehydrating and grinding them for snus?

I used to make chew that way. It's a little tricky because when you start pressing, a lot of your sauce gets squeezed out.

squeezyjohn

This recipe produces useable snus even on my first attempt. I will count that as success! Experimentation and practice from here on.

Good isn't it? :D

It will calm down a lot if left in the fridge for 2 weeks to a month. That being said - some of my batches with home-grown tobacco I love the taste when it is fresher.