Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

making clay pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris m

In another thread homemade pipes I was talking about making clay pipes . Not the Irish type that are molded but free form . I work in clay and I harvest my own , not like clay is expensive around $20.00 for 20lb box . I like Indiana. Brown clay . Well today I made a few of them different types and sizes from a ounce of clay to about 6 . When dry they will be less than half there weight . Wish I can pictures but for some reason it's not working . Instead of completely taking of that thread I will make a new one . Everyone that smokes a pipe can make one . And if you messed up throw it a way and start again.

Tools you will need:
Put the keys down you got everything you need already!
A wire long enought to make the draw hole I.e coat hanger
A 2ft piece of fishing line
A ware board ( to dry the pipe and to support it ) dry wall or ply wood
Finishing tools tree bark ,sticks ,fork,Ect any thing that will leave a Mark or a design.
Your hands best tool you have
Paper towels ( to clean your hands also for patterns.
Do not wash your hands in the sink in your house one your wife , girl friend or mom will not be happy . Also it will clog your drain .
Clay ( potter clay or dug up ) will get some information on how to clean your clay .
The design , the shanks will be straight , can't make a bent.

chris m

And after your done making the pipe let it dry for a day or two till it's very solid then you can sand down parts till there to your liking then let them dry completely a week then lite your charcoal grill put the pipes in then put some more charcoal on top keep it hot for 12 hours . Then keep the grill closed for two days so they will cool slow , don't think the next morning you will go out to the grill and pick one up , there at about 7-800 degrees still they suck all the heat from the coals . I have had pieces come out two days later and still be very warm in the winter .

chris m

I have made a few , the longer of the two ( not dome top) like the best out of the two . The dome top 's draw hole is. To big for the bowl. I have a few other design that are promising . Some I will expand on the idea . There a good hand pipe and there very different .

Status
Not open for further replies.