Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

health issues in last couple months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

Guys , I thought Id put this in here because we're all around the same age group and I'm sure some of us has had health issues at one point or another in their life. I'll be 48 this coming August , I'm 6' tall and a tick over 210 lbs.I am in pretty good shape since my wife and I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and we're there at least an hour "gettin it" .I'm in construction and work long hours (12 hour days)out in the elements a lot. Recently I was doing a night shift for a couple weeks which I didnt care for. I drink very strong coffee, alcohol and of course smoke cigars but nothing to excess or that Id need help to stop. In the last few years I've had a little issue with what my wife says is hypoglycemia , If I dont eat regularly I get a little light headed but I'm ok after I get some food in me. She knows I need to eat before we go anywhere for the day. No ill affects. No food allergies .Theres no history of diabetes in our family. My dad has Celiac which can be genetic but I dont have a problem. I can pretty much eat what I want . What is going on though seems to be since about February. This hypoglycemia is now coupled up with something like GERD ,acid reflux or indigestion. I've started taking Prilosec OTC and it seems to be doing the trick almost immediately . I've read up on a few things and it led me to a couple possible things. "Shift Work Sleep Disorder" which affect not only people who do shift work but people who work long hours during the day. The body's circadian clock tells it it should be sleeping instead of eating. includes some of the same symptoms I have -gut problems with light headed spells,and irritability . Theres also whats called a Gastric Dump which is the stomach produces a greater amount of acid that basically digests food at an accelerated rate and before the nutrients get absorbed it gets kicked to the small intestines and on to the exit . I have an appointment with an internist doctor mid May to rule out anything more serious. At my age it could be almost anything.
Just wondering if anyone has had anything like this and what was it ,how was it treated and how is it now?

ChinaVoodoo

I've had a peptic ulcer before, and struggled with gastritis for decades. I also have a moderate amount of medical education due to previously being an acupuncturist, and a psychology major. I don't know about acupuncturists in different jurisdictions, but at the university I went to, we took the same health science courses as the registered nurses.

Anyways, number 1. No, and I mean zip, never, not at all, ever take ibuprofen. What part of "never" don't you understand? Only take aspirin if your doctor told you to for your heart. Never for pain. The only safe NSAID I know of its acetaminophen.

Number 2, nothing deep fried. Oils are fine, just not cooked ones.

3. Coffee and tea. First, good quality tea is harder on your stomach than good quality coffee. Secondly, poor quality coffee is the worst. When choosing coffee, you need to avoid oxidized fatty acids. It's not the quote, acid, that bothers gastric lining, it is rancid fats. Therefore, never drink dark roast. Always drink coffee where the beans were ground in the last day. Look for coffee with a "roasted on " day, and avoid anything older than two months.

4. If you consume tons of spicy food, and/or cumin, slow that down.

ChinaVoodoo

By the way, the ulcer put me in the hospital when I was in my twenties. I've worked night shift for the most part for 15 years. And I haven't had any problems in the last year.

And one other thing, more of an issue for women, but don't wear tight pants or belt

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
It may be diabetes if you feel. Better after eating..

I do hope you get to feeling better...

I'm 46 and I think I have the symptoms of a bad prostate...

LewZephyr

I'm 46, and in no way as active as you. I work in IT, and sit on my ass alot... and I have no desire to workout. I wish I had your gumption on that. I'm 5'9" and about 220.
I have had Acid re-flux for many years and take previcid daily or I will get the reflux.
I get the hypoglycemia symptom you mention. our family calls it getting hAngry. Time for a snickers.
Basically if I don't eat at my usual time... I get shaky and short tempered.
I have talked to the Dr about it, and get a annual checkup.
I do not have diabetes or hypoglycemia.
Dr says about the reflux to me. Stop drinking Alcohol, coffee, and tea, and stay away from fatty foods.
Welp, none of those are going to happen, so I just keep taking my previcid.

Hope all comes out great on your checkup. I am sure its going to be the same I got from my ear doctor.
I went to one because my wife was tired of having to repeat herself, and said I needed to get my ears checked.
Doctor said. "Your hearing is fine." I of course asked why I had issues with stuff when there was background noise.
He said "Welcome to getting older".

Matty

It could be the night shift work, I work 3pm to 11pm or later and it messes with me too so I try working around it. The biggest issue is what time of day I end up eating and what I chose to eat. Usually eating a few decent wholesome meals brings me back to normal. Going to see a MD is probably the best thing to do though. Hope it's nothing serious.

Smokin Harley

I'm 46, and in no way as active as you. I work in IT, and sit on my ass alot... and I have no desire to workout. I wish I had your gumption on that. I'm 5'9" and about 220.
I have had Acid re-flux for many years and take previcid daily or I will get the reflux.
I get the hypoglycemia symptom you mention. our family calls it getting hAngry. Time for a snickers.
Basically if I don't eat at my usual time... I get shaky and short tempered.
I have talked to the Dr about it, and get a annual checkup.
I do not have diabetes or hypoglycemia.
Dr says about the reflux to me. Stop drinking Alcohol, coffee, and tea, and stay away from fatty foods.
Welp, none of those are going to happen, so I just keep taking my previcid.

Hope all comes out great on your checkup. I am sure its going to be the same I got from my ear doctor.
I went to one because my wife was tired of having to repeat herself, and said I needed to get my ears checked.
Doctor said. "Your hearing is fine." I of course asked why I had issues with stuff when there was background noise.
He said "Welcome to getting older".

YEP, Thats me to a T !!

Smokin Harley

I can avoid the fatty foods...I think. Well, I guess I do love my bacon so that fatty food is staying too. We really do eat very well, not even too much spicy foods. The no alcohol or coffee thing...that AIN'T happening .

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I've had acid reflux for years. I took one Prevacid a day until last summer. I started throwing up blood for three months last summer. (black like coffee, I thought it was coffee or coke until I googled black vomit) Docs ran all the tests, upper GI, etc. They doubled my Prevacid to two a day and no more problems.
Acid reflux sux. If I miss one pill I'm miserable with acid.

ChinaVoodoo

I can avoid the fatty foods...I think. Well, I guess I do love my bacon so that fatty food is staying too. We really do eat very well, not even too much spicy foods. The no alcohol or coffee thing...that AIN'T happening .

I know, this whole change your lifestyle advice thing is a tricky one. I drink coffee all the time. I'm here to testify that there is a massive improvement in health effects when you switch to fresh roasted, medium roast, whole bean coffee.

And no gd ibuprofen.

Those two things have changed my life.

Smokin Harley

China, I generally dont take anything as I very rarely get headaches or sick , not even the common cold. It took my wifes persuasion to get me to take the antacids.
Fresh ground Medium roast, huh? We do like fresh ground , we're kinda snobs that way ...I'll try. Thanks

Birage

I am not a promoter of drug use, over the counter or otherwise, I use natural things first to try and solve my problems, then if I have to, go to drugs as the last resort. I personally solved my gastritis using mastic gum, licorice extract, zinc-carnosine, olive leaf extract, and a host of other natural supplements. The use of drugs like Nexium, etc. is that they end up causing severe magnesium deficiencies, and other problems. Ibuprofen seems to be the better of the NSAIDs.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/12/141218141004.htm

Smokin Harley

I highly doubt it is anything to do with ibuprofen, I dont take it.
I think if anything it has to do with a combination of me being a strong coffee drinker, wife and I like our alcohol cocktails(mostly Jack n Coke, beer(not the cheap stuff either, as the seasons progress we change what we drink) and good hearty food not much fried, plus I had been working long hours day without a day off, doing temporary shift work that just plain messed up my whole circadian clock. The stress of my getting closer and closer to being done paying child support to my narcissistic ex(going to court this coming Wednesday)and last but not least...just getting older. I'm doing better with the Prilosec OTC ,gets better every day. Just waiting patiently for my Dr visit next month .

ArizonaDave

Guys , I thought Id put this in here because we're all around the same age group and I'm sure some of us has had health issues at one point or another in their life. I'll be 48 this coming August , I'm 6' tall and a tick over 210 lbs.I am in pretty good shape since my wife and I go to the gym 4-5 times a week and we're there at least an hour "gettin it" .I'm in construction and work long hours (12 hour days)out in the elements a lot. Recently I was doing a night shift for a couple weeks which I didnt care for. I drink very strong coffee, alcohol and of course smoke cigars but nothing to excess or that Id need help to stop. In the last few years I've had a little issue with what my wife says is hypoglycemia , If I dont eat regularly I get a little light headed but I'm ok after I get some food in me. She knows I need to eat before we go anywhere for the day. No ill affects. No food allergies .Theres no history of diabetes in our family. My dad has Celiac which can be genetic but I dont have a problem. I can pretty much eat what I want . What is going on though seems to be since about February. This hypoglycemia is now coupled up with something like GERD ,acid reflux or indigestion. I've started taking Prilosec OTC and it seems to be doing the trick almost immediately . I've read up on a few things and it led me to a couple possible things. "Shift Work Sleep Disorder" which affect not only people who do shift work but people who work long hours during the day. The body's circadian clock tells it it should be sleeping instead of eating. includes some of the same symptoms I have -gut problems with light headed spells,and irritability . Theres also whats called a Gastric Dump which is the stomach produces a greater amount of acid that basically digests food at an accelerated rate and before the nutrients get absorbed it gets kicked to the small intestines and on to the exit . I have an appointment with an internist doctor mid May to rule out anything more serious. At my age it could be almost anything.
Just wondering if anyone has had anything like this and what was it ,how was it treated and how is it now?

It sounds a lot like gastritis. I had that a while back. It's an inflammation of the stomach wall, or infection, and it happens. I cleared mine up eventually by probiotics. I maintain by eating Greek yogurt once a day.

ChinaVoodoo

It sounds a lot like gastritis. I had that a while back. It's an inflammation of the stomach wall, or infection, and it happens. I cleared mine up eventually by probiotics. I maintain by eating Greek yogurt once a day.

Also beneficial would be unpasteurized sauerkraut.

Status
Not open for further replies.