Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Criollo and cuban criollo98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Are criollo and cuban criollo98 the same strain?

No, they are different. Criollo was collected in Cuba and donated to GRIN in 1975. Criollo 98 was developed in 1998 by crossing Havana 92 and Habana P.R. I grew Criollo last year but it is in the kiln right now.

sansonPR

No, they are different. Criollo was collected in Cuba and donated to GRIN in 1975. Criollo 98 was developed in 1998 by crossing Havana 92 and Habana P.R. I grew Criollo last year but it is in the kiln right now.

Thank you for the answer Knuck!!!

Smokin Harley

According to my new Cigar Aficionado article ...It was Mr Hirochi Robaina's grandfather Alejandro Robaina who created the original Criollo ,when exactly it didnt say. I'm going to guess through many (7-10) crossings , Criollo 98 was "born" .
Theres a hot new strain that came out crossing Corojo'99,Criollo '98 and Havana 2000 called Corojo 2012 ... we all need to keep an eye out for it . storm the castle ,conquer and divide(distribute seeds) ,lol.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
According to my new Cigar Aficionado article ...It was Mr Hirochi Robaina's grandfather Alejandro Robaina who created the original Criollo ,when exactly it didnt say. I'm going to guess through many (7-10) crossings , Criollo 98 was "born" .
Theres a hot new strain that came out crossing Corojo'99,Criollo '98 and Havana 2000 called Corojo 2012 ... we all need to keep an eye out for it . storm the castle ,conquer and divide(distribute seeds) ,lol.

That's some good info. I forgot to post my sources in my last post.

Criollo PI 405646 (TI 1376) The name Criollo is under the PDF link" View original Plant Inventory data (PDF format)"
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/search.pl?accid=Ti+1376

Cuban Criollo 98: http://nwtseeds.com/cuban_criollo_98.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.