Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Canada whole leaf laws

burge

I just ordered 9lbs to get 3 free. Shipping was only 10 dollars more and under my yearly limit. So hoping it will all be good.

Hugh

What's the deal with Ontario? Not surprised it would be a special case :)

Think Ontario levy's their own excise tax on imported leaf.
Seems to muck-up the works at the border with Federal Customs, since they don't collect Provincial tax, safe for GST.

If that's true, one would need a customs broker to pay the tax at the border.
Something like that.

burge

I had no clue about these changes and never saw them posted anywhere

burge

I am glad I posted that link I just needed it now to ask what is going on with a package and got a call so it was a mistake

stdly

I placed my first order a couple days ago I read that we can order 3 kg at a time and 15 kg per year. I’m glad I only ordered 5.5 lbs because I didn't know.
Is there anything I should know or be doing in advance to make my delivery thru customs smooth?
When it comes if there is a problem with identification and the cost is crazy do I just refuse the order or do I receive and pay, then try to recover the money with the B2G form supplied by WLT?
Any info would be appreciated.

It looks the form supplied by WLT could use one change T2015 should be T2020 it might not matter.
Canada Border Services Agency Chapter 24 T2015 2401.10.99 unmanufactured tobacco, tobacco not stemmed or stripped 5.5%
Canada Border Services Agency Chapter 24 T2020 2401.10.99 unmanufactured tobacco, tobacco not stemmed or stripped 5.5%

Here is a link to the newest Chapter 24 - T2020 Tariff
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2020/html/00/ch24-eng.html

Here is a link to the newest B2G-16 CBSA Informal Adjustment Request form if anyone needs it, hopefully not.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b2g-eng.html

Steve

ChinaVoodoo

CBSA are just the cops though. I don't see anything updated in those pages that would cause alarm or change what Canada Revenue Agency rules are.

In all my years being a part of FTT, I have never seen a member need to get a reassessment. Once a friend has to get a reassessment on some cologne because the bottles were made to look like cigars and they charged him tobacco tax.

Relax. You are legally allowed to import whole leaf tobacco. You are doing nothing wrong or sneaky. Whole leaf tobacco is still whole leaf tobacco. The rates have not changed.

ChinaVoodoo

Like I said, I've never seen it happen. I don't know what i would do if I was confronted with a 5lb package that was incorrectly assessed at a couple thousand dollars in duty. I believe it would go like this: first, I would tell the Canada Post employee of the issue and ask if they knew what to do. This is likely something they know about. If they didn't, I would not pay, ask them to hold the package for however long they are allowed to hold it, and I would start making phone calls. No quick movements.

ChinaVoodoo

If I was a millionaire, I would just pay, take it, then get it reassessed. That's how it worked with my friend's cologne bottles. He didn't even realize he had over payed until he went home and looked at the receipt.

stdly

CBSA are just the cops though. I don't see anything updated in those pages that would cause alarm or change what Canada Revenue Agency rules are.

In all my years being a part of FTT, I have never seen a member need to get a reassessment. Once a friend has to get a reassessment on some cologne because the bottles were made to look like cigars and they charged him tobacco tax.

Relax. You are legally allowed to import whole leaf tobacco. You are doing nothing wrong or sneaky. Whole leaf tobacco is still whole leaf tobacco. The rates have not changed.

Thanks for your reply.
Ya the pages haven't changed just newer versions.
I guess there will be a bit of anxiety until I receive it that's normal when you live in Canada.

I would rather hang with someone that smokes too much pipe tobacco than someone that drinks to much alcohol.
I can by WEED and alcohol from the government web sites and stores but try and buy some good pipe baccy, you can't.
Try and buy it from a country were they actually still sell good pipe tobacco blends without paying 10 time what it's worth at the border , and you are a criminal?
Don't get me wrong Canada is a great place to live and we still grow some great tobacco here!

Steve

stdly

Like I said, I've never seen it happen. I don't know what i would do if I was confronted with a 5lb package that was incorrectly assessed at a couple thousand dollars in duty. I believe it would go like this: first, I would tell the Canada Post employee of the issue and ask if they knew what to do. This is likely something they know about. If they didn't, I would not pay, ask them to hold the package for however long they are allowed to hold it, and I would start making phone calls. No quick movements.
Thanks again.
Wow a couple thousand how much is the tax on processed tobacco!

Steve

burge

You are fine as long as you don't go over you legal limit during the sale brought over 12 lbs duty they charged me at leaf wrapper ad it was 30 bucks. they taxed me wrong it should have been about 24. 3kg is 7lbs rounded up. The link I posted above is what it is now on the duty. Once the duty is paid or customs lets it go through providign the package is legally marked which it is they can not come after you unless you attempt to sell the product then you are in trouble