Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Some thought provoking clips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_in_TN

All sorts of good info in this thread. Gotta look into attracting some Mexican free tail bats and keep those bad moths at bay. Wonder if those bats would eat a 'hummingbird moth', which are about as big as one of those bats?

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
All sorts of good info in this thread. Gotta look into attracting some Mexican free tail bats and keep those bad moths at bay. Wonder if those bats would eat a 'hummingbird moth', which are about as big as one of those bats?

Yeah, I am kind of excited about the bat hotel idea. When I have the disposable income, I will be looking into getting (or building) one. Might help with the garden pests- anything to avoid spraying ;)

workhorse_01

There is no wat i could live where i do if the bats wild and housed were'nt here. This is the okefenokee swamp.

CoralReefs

Suburban baccy farmer
From the side yard,we have them everywhere. Want some ?View attachment 601View attachment 602View attachment 603

God, those are gorgeous pictures! I am very interested in the soil there. Is it really peatty? I think it would be so cool to be able to walk outside in your back yard and see sarracenia wild- especially during flowering season.

As much as I would love to accept your offer, I have to decline- would end up feeling very bad about it later. Sarracenia's in general are a relatively threatened group of plants- unfortunately too many (mostly others in the genus) have been removed from the wild by collectors or their bogs have been drained for housing development. 3 species are now on the Federally endangered list. Sarracenia minor is not in such bad of shape but who knows what the future holds.

Still, great photos!! Thank you for posting them! I don't see any there but are any around you currently flowering?

workhorse_01

Yes they are flowering, hold on i'll get you some pics. my son picks the flowers and brings them in for my wife.

DonH

Well, perhaps you are right, but correlation does not imply causation so there is quite a bit of room for doubt here. What I would be interested in knowing is:
1) When did large tobacco companies start "improving tobacco" (by the way, I would tend to agree- you start messing with nature, stuff tends to get messed up).
2) Were any studies done prior which compared the incidence of smoking with cancer?
3) How have those statistics changed since?
4) What other major trends were changing at that time? Could anything else plausibly explain the phenomena?

Good questions. I read somewhere (I'll try to track down the reference) that lung cancer rates didn't start to rise until the 1940s when the chemical industry got really underway and, maybe more importantly, there was a lot of atmospheric nuclear testing. Fukushima will probably send lung cancer rates up again, and if any of the victims ever smoked, they can blame it on that.

driftinmark

Good questions. I read somewhere (I'll try to track down the reference) that lung cancer rates didn't start to rise until the 1940s when the chemical industry got really underway and, maybe more importantly,

I read that somewhere also, had to do with DDT or something, the miracle pesticide, and it started getting used very heavily after ww2.........

BarG

Founding Member
My dad swore by ddt, he used to run cattle thru wood troughs filled with it to kill ticks and parasites. He would get drenched. He never agreed it should have been banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.