Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Some thought provoking clips

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Each one of these would make a good thread, but I'll put them all in the opening thread for this new forum.

In a recent correspondence with a whole leaf buyer, he said something that I have believed for a long time, but never thought there would be actual studies done on it.

I saw a video a few weeks back... damn if I can remember exactly who... I think it was sent to me as a link... anyway, they mentioned that during ww2 nazi scientists discovered that smokers were less likely to blindly follow propaganda... hence the smoking ban...

So I did a search and there is a ton of information on the subject of tobacco science. In the past, I've offered an kind of tongue-in-cheek explanation of the war on tobacco being started by an embittered ex-wife of one of the tobacco barons. What better way to get even than to destroy a mans living?...I don't think I missed the mark by much with that assertion, but I'm only speaking from personal experience.

These miscellaneous quotes are from (of all places) The Democratic Underground. Seems there are some sensible liberals after all.

There are usually a few of us out on the big boards who wage this information campaign every time the subject arises. There are plenty of reasons to quit (smelly/expensive). But the truth is, the perils are way over stated. Yes, smokers have died from diseases, just as non-smokers have died from horrible diseases. My personal anecdote is that three close family members have had cancer and non of them smoked or had been exposed to second hand smoke. Remember, not too long ago marijuana was demonized. All but the most rabid right winger now knows those are all bogus reports.

Doesn't it make sense than an ineffectual medical community might attempt to find a scapegoat to explain away its own inadequacies? If it is a scapegoat that is sure to never go away, people will always smoke no matter what, all the better! They can continue to blame this ONE habit for the increasing numbers of ill and dying people rather than accepting the true blame that they don't know what the hell they are doing.

About 50 years ago, a campaign began to blame smoking for cancer. Cancer had become such a terrifying disease that the word "cancer" was often alluded to rather than speaking the name aloud, even being referred to as the C disease. The American Cancer Society, having failed to produce significant results in fighting cancer, chose to erect smoking as a straw man to take heat off themselves. Since that beginning, one of the world's great frauds has proceeded, to demonize smoking to the point that most people believe there is unquestionable scientific evidence that smoking is a major killer. When even that level of fright didn't convince smokers to quit, the spectre of "secondhand" smoke was created out of thin air, to continue the campaign that was making so many organizations rich on donations and tax money in hopes of actually curing cancer. Deception, outright lies, and statistical trickery have been used to such a great and effective extent that "junk science" has spread to many other areas. (...)

http://smith.mn/smoking.html

snips

A new report based on research from the World Health Organization, reproduced in full. (color emphasis is mine)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Researchers said they were surprised and even embarrassed to find that smoking cigarettes apparently reduces the risk of breast cancer among women with an unusual gene mutation.

Researchers caution that the study does not mean women should smoke.

"The risks of smoking are so serious that there's absolutely no reason that any woman should consider smoking whether she is at high risk or low risk for breast cancer," said Dr. Lynn Schuchter, an oncologist at the University of Pennsylvania Cancer Center.

Smokers had half as many cancers (...)

"No statistically significant relationship was found in either community between smoking and coronary heart disease, hypertension or somatic complaints"

1477. University of Texas School of Allied Health Sciences. Philips, B.U., Jr.; Bruhn, J.G. "Smoking Habits and Reported Illness in Two Communities With Different Systems of Social Support." FUNDING: Univ. of Texas; National Institute of Mental Health. 1981-83.

Smoking improves human information processing.

Higher nicotine cigarettes produce greater improvements than low-nicotine cigarettes.
Nicotine tablets produce similar effects.
Nicotine can reverse the detrimental effects of scopolamine on performance
Smoking effects are accompanied by increases in EEG arousal and decreases in the latency of the late positive component of the evoked potential."

0574. University of Reading, Department of Psychology (England). Warburton., D.M.; Wesnes, K. "The Effects of Cigarette Smoking on Human Information Processing and the role of Nicotine in These Effects "

http://smith.mn/research.html

Nicotine studied as treatment for brain disorders

By Carey Goldberg, Globe Staff | November 12, 2003

Scientists reported yesterday that nicotine seems to diminish mental impairment stemming from stress or an underactive thyroid -- the latest in a growing body of evidence that the long vilified substance may help people with brain disorders ranging from Alzheimer's disease to schizophrenia.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2003/11/12 /nicotine_studied_as_treatment_for_brain_disorders/

Daniel

Banned
Don, There is not a shred of doubt in my mind that common opinion about even cigarettes today is cmplete3ly bogus. not one shred. I was a pack a day smoker at the age of 12. I could run Olympic 100 dash speeds at the age of 17. and yes I smoked then. I am now 50 and can work circles around anyone half my age. I was told when I was 5 foot 7 that smoking would stunt my growth. Thank God cause I am 6 foot 2 the way it is. I know people that quit smoking only to die of cancer, heart failure, or other lung problems years later. I know several people that have never smoked or quit many years ago that now have emphozyma. You are right in that everyone gets sick and everyone dies. I don't think it has much to do with smoking. never has and never will.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Here's another little known fact that is 100% true.

"If you eat carrots, you will die". Here's another one..."If you don't eat carrots, you will die". Things can be twisted to mean whatever anyone wants.

BarG

Founding Member

Boboro

The MS. senate has a bill to require to take a drug test for nicatine if you are on medicaid you have to go to a smoking cessation program if you testpositive. A rep. bill. A dem. has a bill for med. pot legalization If obamacare forces me on medicaid and I get the right doctor I could get pot to get off cigs. and ya'll will have to pay for it.

Boboro

You dont need to grow it Obama gona give you some. IF YOU VOTE FOR HIM. You will if you smoke from his stash:p

wazzappenning

i hope if obama gives you some its not government grown pot. in canada they were giving aids/ cancer patients federally grown pot. the headline in the newspapers was "feds cant grow pot". ppl were complaining about headaches and feeling sick,(the exact symptoms they were trying to escape).

pastorj

wow, this info flys in the face of everything that is commonly reported about tobacco and it's use... Definitely something to think about. I don't know why I am so shocked because I know of numerous areas in which our government or society has flat out lied or twisted the truth to force desired outcomes. Will definitely work on not taking to heart everything I hear; even about tobacco.

wazzappenning

as for the pot thing, i have seen many opinions online that it is good at preventing cancer and has not one documented case of it causing cancer. if you have a little trouble believing that tobacco is good for you, then maybe supplementing it with a little mary jane is good preventative medicine.

i dont think any smoke is actually good for you, but maybe some is not as bad as publicized. especially when you take away the fsc paper (toxic and radioactive metal nanoparticles), as well as the phosphorus based fertilizers (radioactive tobacco), then maybe you have something not horribly bad.

btw, thanks a lot to both the canadian and american departments of health that let big tobacco get away with this.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
i dont think any smoke is actually good for you, .

Actually it is. 1 -2 cigars a day reduces your risk of heart disease. Moderate smoking also reduces your risk of Alzheimer's disease. I have to get off my lazy butt and start publishing some of these studies I've been accumulating. I still have to take my Teck 1 apart and report on that as well as photograph my shade tobacco set up.. so much to do!

Randy B

ps.. what is "moderate" smoking? I do not know. The studies are vague on this but if I had to guess I'd say very roughly that 4 to 8 cigarettes can be good for you.

wazzappenning

problem is that a smoker as far as i know will smoke anywhere between 12- 40 cigarettes a day,(myself included). i hear that they add chemicals to make it more addictive/make the nicotine more potent/addictive. i called a few tobacco companies here and asked what the additives were. one told me there were none, just glycerol on the paper as a preservative. she transferred me to someone else who seemed surprised that someone told me there were no additives. ive called cig companies before and have learned that they are big fat liars. the original person you contact must be reading a script based on common questions. after all if you were selling chemical cigs, would you just let your operators give their honest opinion?

anyway i am done with them, just as soon as i get my first shipment of leaf.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have always wondered why the FDA was so involved with tobacco .
These are my opinion on the subject

1 Tobacco companies toast at high temperatures . I have always heard they take the nicotine out then put it back . How could they do that .I would guess cook it out then case it with nicotine .
FDA may be keeping a eye on bought chemicals , Nicotine being one of them and nicotine was probably regulated by the FDA to start with .

2 Big Tobacco wanted FDA involved to keep from being sued all the time . FDA made the companies list all the ingredients from tobacco . Big tobacco did Smoke and mirrows by listing ingredients that were before and after the burn .Big tobacco may have wanted the ingredients listed so they can say you know whats in our product and was warned .

wazzappenning

i am kind of thinking the opposite. government is buddy, buddy with tobacco co's (the elite you know) the gov't was aware that big tobacco was using un-natural poisonous items. rather than let us know that smokes are deliberately being made more poisonous (radioactive) to keep us hooked, and to reduce costs, the gov't decided to let us know that smoking is bad for us, listing only the ingredients that we would all assume are natural to tobacco.

the result being that when someone gets lung cancer from smoking, the gov't is not liable, able to say, "well we told you it was bad for you".

BigBonner

Founding Member
Wazzhapenning

Thats what I meant by "Big Tobacco wanted FDA involved " . FDA covers big tobacco and big tobacco supports the higher athority with campain contributions .
The big tobacco buyout was to settle lawsuits with states citizens and keep multiple lawsuits away from big tobacco . Pay a little now and make more later . To beat the tobacco buyout bill . Tobacco companies didn't have to pay a dime of that money . What happened was you the smokers paid . They raised the prices of your smokes . Big tobacco collected the money and sent it in at the years end for 15 years .The last payment big tobacco makes on the states settlements I think is in 2014 . What will happen when big tobacco no longer has to make those payments ? . They will not lower cigarette prices but they will keep a huge proffit .

Tom_in_TN

Money, money, money....it's all about the money. I think most of us have it figured out. I see it is the same as BB. Big Tobacco greases the wheels with, not only campaign contributions but with big fat envelopes of money to those who pass the laws and to those who regulate the laws. Lot of stuff is added to cigs that is BAD for your health, really BAD. I got off cigs in 2001. Switched to hand-rolled cigars and machine made. My health vastly improved. I do not encourage others to smoke, but if you are determined to smoke at the very least stop smoking cigs and better yet smoke your own home grown. That is why I decided to get into it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.