1 t sea salt
.25 ground black pepper
.5 cup water
Sitting in a glad lock container in a water bath on low 180 degrees for 12 hrs
Just like jbd with nothing else added long cut spitless snus
And I got to this by trying the tobacco separately from each other thanks Chris

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I prefer flake salt in my oral-snuff (Swedish-snus). Don't understand: mcb and sr..

Good luck chris

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
How stupid of me.. LOL and me just training to find it out..
-But Chris test flake-salt some time. I was happy with my oral-snuff before. Did test it just just to tell it vas no different, but after that I always have "it" in it..

chris m

Sneeked a piece it's strong stuff . After a week or so it should mellow out some the pepper (black ground ) is a nice touch have a a mint in each can and they should draw some of the taste in them . But this is the first batch that I made lite salt with nothing in there but tobacco . I will but what one cup on the scale to have what my weight is . This will be my learning curve . Good thing all of the tobacco that I used I will grow next year

chris m

Had to dump it in to a bowl with paper towels to dry it out some . It still strong put spitting is not needed . That's what I wanted it's like long cut America dip but the salt may be to much will lower it some. Just like jbd there is no lye water or anything like that .

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
It will be easier to make the same results more times if you go on weight. If you add some taste you better left it bee 2-3weeks before you take it.. I go one some "home making kit" and when I do I put in: Anise and some citrus.. When I make my own I don't add anything.. Letting my tobacco make the work alone (with salt and carbonate)..

squeezyjohn

Getting the amount of water right can be a tricky business - especially because even if you weigh it out very carefully, some tobacco varieties will absorb more water than others when ground to fine flour. I've made it so my recipes use 120ml of liquid for every 100g of tobacco flour ... this is more than enough for the snus chemistry to work while it's cooking ... and if it's a little dry at the end it's far easier to add a little water than it is to remove it!

How do you find the flavour of the Silver River in a snus? I found it very distinctive and aromatic - but maybe not quite the full and rich tobacco flavour that I was hoping for.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
How do you find the flavour of the Silver River in a snus? I found it very distinctive and aromatic - but maybe not quite the full and rich tobacco flavour that I was hoping for.

It sounds like a good candidate for a blended snus with another variety or two.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member

I've grown it in two places. Have observed that the silver river farmed in the shadow is much more interesting than silver river grown in the Sun has actually not noticed such a difference other tobacco than Bolivian black (a very similar tobacco).
So I would say let it growing in shadow and don't give it to much water. I have grown silver river one year and Bolivian black 3 year.

Nic

I've grown it in two places. Have observed that the silver river farmed in the shadow is much more interesting than silver river grown in the Sun has actually not noticed such a difference other tobacco than Bolivian black (a very similar tobacco).
So I would say let it growing in shadow and don't give it to much water. I have grown silver river one year and Bolivian black 3 year.

I also grow Bolivian black for snus this year... You have any pics hasse? would be nice to see how big they get here in the north...

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I also grow Bolivian black for snus this year... You have any pics hasse? would be nice to see how big they get here in the north...
I will have to look in my computer, I must have some pictures one it.. I know I have pictures one the leaf's in my old phone.. Question is if I found it.. But I will check the computer to morrow..

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
DGBAMA: very nice my have"only" bin 6,89ft (2,10m).. But My silver river vas almost 8ft last year..

Status
Not open for further replies.