Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Michibacy Grow Blog 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Well...we got a bit rained out down at the farm. 2" in less than an hour, All plants except the tobacco survived without a hitch...perfect.

A lot of my transplants got covered with soil (less than 1/2"), my treasured varieties were spared thankfully. I cleaned off the transplants that I could find. My hopes are the ones that got covered will pop up through the soil pretty quickly. Any one know if they will?

Also, I'm becoming a father pretty quickly....the Niñas are probably coming any day now, there's some minor complications but nothing too serious.

Also, got myself a new 4 wheeler the other day. 1986 Honda Fourtrax 200SX. The rear plastic needs to be replaced. I think $290 is out of my price range. I have some fiber glass left over and some poly resin left over that should work just fine to make a new "skin" for it. Typically used in boat construction, I figure it should have enough "give" if it happens to find a stone or stick.

Ah the joys of country life...
atleast I can run the dog to the woods now!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of my transplants got covered with soil (less than 1/2"), my treasured varieties were spared thankfully. I cleaned off the transplants that I could find. My hopes are the ones that got covered will pop up through the soil pretty quickly. Any one know if they will?

If the transplants were growing well before being covered, and the overlying dirt does not dry to a baked clay, they will probably push right on up into the sunlight.

Bob

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
They appeared to be growing well. They were rather small still so we will see. We've been lucky enough to get more rain since they were covered and rather cool temperatures so hopefully that preserved the transplants somewhat.

I did venture out there a little while ago and noticed a few of the plants that got covered up did poke through some new leaves, hopefully they survive.

The fiber glass on the quad worked amazingly. It still looks awfully beat up, but it's strong and seems to hold through the rough terrain I took it though. Also...found I'm missing a rather important bolt that holds the swing arm to the skid plate, thus keeping tension between the drive sprocket on the front end, the idler sprocket in the center and the axle sprocket on the rear axle. As soon as I decided to go off trail riding (we got about an inch of rain last night, thus turning the boundary of the woods into a swamp) a stump hit the trailer hitch which is coupled to the same bracket as the tensioner, loosening the chain and throwing it off the sprockets. Lovely. Got that chain back on and now I need to stop at the hardware tomorrow and get a new bolt.

Also, I needed a rack on the quad so I made one out of EMT conduit I had laying around. Easily removed if needs be and plenty strong enough for my uses. Pictures below.

As for the farm hands on their way (our daughters ;)), the wife has started in very early labor, we got home at 5am this morning after going in last evening because she was starting to have contractions. Geeze life doesn't slow down!!! Also...finally got maternity photos. Threw one down below as a preview of what's to come!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 61
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 61
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 63

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
WE've got babies! They were delivered on 6/9/15 and are doing fantastic! They were definitely on the tiny scale of size, but they are gaining weight quickly now that they're both getting enough food.

Plants are growing well, we got a nicely hellish dousing of water last Saturday evening. About 5.5 inches of water which magically gave us river front property in the matter of a couple hours. Worst spots are 3 feet deep of water and it appears the county drain clogged, broke free and washed away. Lovely. Alas, the tobacco is growing well though. I only had a 5% loss due to extreme temperatures with the seedlings which all in all isn't too bad. I cut back my growing this year considering we had the kids on the way, and we're still working on buying the house. Pictures below!

IMG_7941.jpgIMG_7965.jpgphoto1.jpgIMG_7960.jpg

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
Oh man, it's about to get real. You're about to become a master of all kinds of efficiency you never knew you had.

in all seriousness, congrats on the babies. There's nothin better.

bryonlr

congrats on the new life you brought to the world, now comes the hard part. Good luck to you and yours.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Howdy folks, just a quick check in.

I'm sad to say that my garden and tobacco plot is not growing worth a damn this year. We have had so much rain, and such cold temperatures that nothing has grown well. It's all still alive, but it truly isn't thriving.

A couple weeks ago we had 11 inches of rain in 9 days, and temperatures never making it over 70. It's still quite brisk in the morning here. As we speak it's 61*F and was quite a bit colder.

The plants are green, but barely over 8 inches tall. I might just end up with midget tobacco this year....

Oh well, there is always next year...

Status
Not open for further replies.