Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

NPK vs Organic

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaGGarD

Whats up FTT, its HaGGarD and im trying to figure out what most of you use for ferts? Personally I do everything organic, and make all my own ferts.

I have my soil mix posted in the Getting Started section if you want more info on that. But as far as extras going into the soil I am pretty picky.

When the plants are small I plan to add a small amount of Aloa Vera to my water to help the root zone expand, about 2 tbs per gal. Once they are about 5 inches tall is when the fun will start.

I am currently fermenting alfalfa and kelp meal right now, in a lactos baterica culture I made. The plan is the baterica will break down the HUNDREDS of compounds and elements in the plant matter, by eating (breaking down) these compounds now become free in the root zone once the bacteria poops em out.

If anyone is wondering how I found all this you should search for
BIMS - EM-! - Lactos Culture - Fermented Plant Extracts

Anyways im off, hope this opens some eyes and will pull some people of the crappy oil based nutes.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I only grow organically too. I grew about 125 tobacco plants last year and 6 of them got a lacto fermented culture. I watered them 6 times with it throughout the growing season and they were no different than the untreated ones. I think if your soil is balanced and has a lot of humus in it, the microbes are so healthy and plentiful that the addition of "extra" fermented products does not have much of an effect. I have not tried aloe though

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
so far 2 years in a row,,, ive tilled in about,,,6-800 lbs, of chickenmanure/sawdust mix,,,,

it doesnt burn the plants,, and actually makes them take off,,,, ive done this with tobacco,,,and my veg garden,,,,

and the results were amazing,,,

i mean look at this row of squash from last year,,,all the stalks are standing straight up,,,,

it's all about the poop,

>>>
dscf00067.jpg

By chickenhawk435 at 2011-04-24

i try to be as organic as possible,,,,,but this year about midway thru,,, i do plan on applying some bagged, POTASH,,,,

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I would be very wary of non organic chicken manure. It will have very high levels of arsenic in it. In the news just this week was a story about organic baby food being tainted with arsenic. It seems the organic brown rice syrup is the culprit. Rice soaks up arsenic like a sponge from the soil. In the case of non organic chickens, they are fed arsenic in their feed. It is so bad that in my state of Maryland there is a law trying to be passed that will outlaw its addition to chicken feed. It is estimated that in Maryland alone,, 30,000lbs of arsenic is dumped into the environment (yearly) just from non organic chicken manure. That is one hell of a staggering number even if some politician over inflated it!

And don't worry about how good that squash looks... like I keep telling the wife... size doesn't matter :rolleyes:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I would be very wary of non organic chicken manure. It will have very high levels of arsenic in it. In the news just this week was a story about organic baby food being tainted with arsenic. It seems the organic brown rice syrup is the culprit. Rice soaks up arsenic like a sponge from the soil. In the case of non organic chickens, they are fed arsenic in their feed. It is so bad that in my state of Maryland there is a law trying to be passed that will outlaw its addition to chicken feed. It is estimated that in Maryland alone,, 30,000lbs of arsenic is dumped into the environment (yearly) just from non organic chicken manure. That is one hell of a staggering number even if some politician over inflated it!

And don't worry about how good that squash looks... like I keep telling the wife... size doesn't matter :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

lol...must spread some rep around before giving to jitterbug again<

Boboro

Arsenic is organic. apple seed and some others have it naturally.I had a ex wife that was full of it.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Yes, Arsenic is organic and so is poison ivy! My point is even if something is organic does not mean it is safe. Particularly if you ingest it in abnormally large doses such as you would get from chickens fed arsenic laden chicken feed.

HaGGarD

Jitter

Last time I made a lacto culture I used it diluted in my cats watering bowl because his shits are famous. I swear I havent smelt a single one and once I stopped using it within aweek it returned. No change in diet nor litter.

As far as being effective in soils, if maybe it would be more effective in plants if applied at the right time. Say transplanting.

And Aloa I use for rooting my cuttings and rootstocks. Mix with some organic honey and bam id say 85% work.

BarG

Founding Member
... like I keep telling the wife... size doesn't matter :rolleyes:

If mine ever asks who I'm gonna please with that, I'd just have to say...ME!:)

Has anyone tried the hasta gro [1oz.per gal.with the superthrive vitamin-hormone 1/4 teaspoon per gal.]on tobacco seedlings. supposed to be an additive to promote root growth, foliage growth, but not a fertilizer.

Daniel

Banned
Keep in mind that whatever you do in regard to fertilizer. You want to stop when the plants bud. It one more of those things that are specific to tobacco. The way I look at it is you want to do everything you can to get the plant to be healthy, strong and growing right up to the point it buds. then cut the bud off fight with the suckers and send the entire plant into a very long slow death. Keep it watered but starve the plant for nutrients. So just be careful about using anything that will still be releasing nutrients weeks after it has been applied.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
Keep in mind that whatever you do in regard to fertilizer. You want to stop when the plants bud. It one more of those things that are specific to tobacco. The way I look at it is you want to do everything you can to get the plant to be healthy, strong and growing right up to the point it buds. then cut the bud off fight with the suckers and send the entire plant into a very long slow death. Keep it watered but starve the plant for nutrients. So just be careful about using anything that will still be releasing nutrients weeks after it has been applied.

I'm looking for a source of nitrogen in my area that does just that
Ever hear of "HI-YIELD" NITRATE OF SODA

Vpg Inc 33365 Hi-Yield Nitrate of Soda 4Lbs : HI-YIELD NITRATE OF SODA4 pounds Sodium nitrate 16-0-0 Use when growth and color are needed quickly A fast acting non-acidic source of nitrogen Ideal for vegetables - flowers and shrubs Application rates: vegetables (1 pound per 100 square feet) - lawns (5 pounds per 333 square feet)

unnamed.jpg

It's 5 bucks and would be just right for my little patch.
Any one know of this product ? My soil has a very high Calcium level all ready. So I'm looking for just nitrogen
Per what Daniel is saying
Pros ? Cons ?

Rayshields

Boboro,
I guess we have something in common...seems like ex-wife #2, for me, had a toxic level of arsenic. I think that maybe she might have had a little hyrdochloric acid overload as well.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i put some BAT GUANO in my holes for my plants, last night,,

that mixed with the chicken-manure should give the plants plenty of nitrogen for a couple months,

>

Status
Not open for further replies.