Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Connecticut Wrappers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

This I suppose is a silly question.
Are Connecticut broad leaf and Connecticut shade the same variety, one sun grown and the other shade grown? I will try a shade grown variety again, and after reading the wrapper article in the Cigar Aficionado, I thought to give Conn Shade a go.
Ben

Knucklehead

Founding Member
They are different varieties. My understanding of CT Shade grown in full sun is that it makes a good binder, but only reaches it's full potential as a wrapper when grown under a shade structure. CT Broadleaf makes a good wrapper when grown in full sun.

EDIT: 40% shade cloth for the shade structure is the ideal. Growing in a shady spot is a hit or miss proposition. Not only because the amount of sunlight is guess work, but also because natural shade usually means tree roots nearby sucking up the water and nutrients.

EDIT Part Two: The only silly question is the one not asked.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The only silly question is the one not asked.
I can think of a few, even if asked.

My attempt at sun-grown CT Shade was disappointing. Leaf size was not as large as most Havana/Spanish varieties. Leaf margins were undulating. Flavor and aroma were minimal. In full sun, the plants reached about 7.5 feet in height. I have elected to not grow it in the future, unless I build a shade structure.

My sun-grown CT Broadleaf was more promising, on the two occasions that I've grown it. But last season--a particularly wet one, it had a strong tendency to develop some form of mold (perhaps blue mold or downy mildew) while growing, while no other varieties had that problem.

I seem to do better with other varieties for wrappers in full sun--FL Sumatra, Machu Picchu Havana, Vuelta Abajo, Besuki.

Bob

Smokin Harley

They are different varieties. My understanding of CT Shade grown in full sun is that it makes a good binder, but only reaches it's full potential as a wrapper when grown under a shade structure. CT Broadleaf makes a good wrapper when grown in full sun.

EDIT: 40% shade cloth for the shade structure is the ideal. Growing in a shady spot is a hit or miss proposition. Not only because the amount of sunlight is guess work, but also because natural shade usually means tree roots nearby sucking up the water and nutrients.

EDIT Part Two: The only silly question is the one not asked.

I had a great instructor (Soils and Fertility)in my horticulture college days, a cool old guy ,Mr Louis Judson, grandpa type personality with a southern IL accent ,cheap suits and a gray pompadour haircut. We actually referred to him as "Old Fert n Dirt" , he actually liked it. One of his favorite ending catch phrases was "Know-whut-I-mean?" First day of class he said something more expanded of that same phrase.

Don't be afraid to ask a question because the only silly or dumb question is the one you don't ask...and it will probably be a better chance of being on the test if you don't ask.

Ben Brand

deluxestogie said:
I seem to do better with other varieties for wrappers in full sun--FL Sumatra, Machu Picchu Havana, Vuelta Abajo, Besuki.

Bob

Bob
Iv`e got Machu Picchu that Iv`e got from a FTT member, but on the packet it says Peruvian Filler. The one you mention, is it a different variety? Had a long think about wrappers, think I`ll stick to Sun Grown.
Ben

Last edited by a moderator:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My Machu Picchu is GRIN Pi 116159 (Ti 719). [http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1130544]

It was originally collected on the slopes of Machu Picchu, Peru, in 1936, by Roger Stadelman. GRIN classed it as wrapper. In Stadelman's personal correspondence, he states that the grower of that tobacco (living on Huaina Picchu) called the tobacco, "Havana." So, at some point in time prior to 1936, Havana tobacco was introduced there. In the original accession documentation [http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgs_public/prodweb.pdf0?in_vol=127&in_suffix=&in_page=060], it was labeled simply "white flower," though for me, it produces rich pink blossoms. (It was found growing at 2100 meters elevation, which may account for the difference in blossom color.)

A second variety collected at the same time and place (GRIN Pi 116160, Ti 720), also by Stadelman, is labeled as "red flower," and classed by GRIN as cigar filler. I have no further information on that variety.

Bob

EDIT: I assigned the name, "Machu Picchu" to Pi 116159, since at the time I acquired it from GRIN, Pi 116160 was listed as not available for distribution. So it appeared that there was only a single variety of tobacco from Machu Picchu. Now GRIN lists both as available. Once I was able to read Stadelman's personal correspondence (thanks to Jessica), I began calling it "Machu Picchu Havana."

Status
Not open for further replies.