Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Sally is damn fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dondford

All the years I smoked store bought cigars I didn't have a very good opinion of short filler cigars. Once I started rolling my own I started saving the foot triming and trimming when I processed the whole leaf filler tobacco and threw them in a bag. If I roll 8-10 cigars I often have enough foot trimming from that blend for a short filler cigar; I started marking them as "S.F." for short filler to identify them but soon started calling them Sallies. If made from the big bag of trimming from filler I just call them a Sally, but if rolled from foot trimming from a particular blend I label as a Sally + Blend Name. I do use only filler tobacco and usually don't include any wrapper tobacco. The thing that amazed me is how good these things can be given some time to settle down. I really believe many of my Sallies are as good as many of the store brought long filler cigars I used to smoke; these Sallies are becoming my go to every day cigar and save my top notch long filler for special occasions or to gift.

I will add that I roast and grind my own coffee, when grinding if I grind a little too much bean to brew, I throw the extra ground coffee in a jar labeled "Sally", this Sally coffee is a mixture of the 3-4 coffee blends I routinely roast. Same thing here, this Sally coffee is a fine cup of coffee.

D

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I save all my scraps for short filler cigars, even the wrapper leaf. Wrapper leaf is just a leaf with no holes in it. One plant can produce filler grade, binder grade, and wrapper grade. It is graded, then separated into the filler, binder, wrapper piles. The "Sallies" can often be very pleasant surprises with layer upon layer of flavor.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
As I always say; Iam not a cigar boy, but I like that you (and I) can save the cigar foot for filler. When I have time to make my own cigars I think mine will become oral-snuff..but to return it in to a cigar ain't bad either..
Thanks for your tip..

Smokin Harley

I have a ziplock baggie I keep my trimmings in.. and when I get the gumption I roll cuban sandwiches. You're right, they taste just as good or better than production sticks.

webmost

I don't agree with the long filler is superior argument whatsoever. So far as I have experienced, the claim that short filler does not burn so evenly as long is a myth. The only thing I can conclude is that the preference for long filler falls into that very prevalent "more money = more better" assumption.

Other than that, if it tastes good, who gives a rat's behind.

DIY Pete

I don't agree with the long filler is superior argument whatsoever. So far as I have experienced, the claim that short filler does not burn so evenly as long is a myth. The only thing I can conclude is that the preference for long filler falls into that very prevalent "more money = more better" assumption.

Other than that, if it tastes good, who gives a rat's behind.

I will agree with one caveat, and that is that the short filler used is of high quality. For us home rollers that is a true statement. In some/all of the large commercial houses that may not be the case. For all we know short filler could be code for floor sweepings.

Pete

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My experience with rolling cigars from small scrap is that the cigar needs to feel tighter--more solid--than one using long filler, in order to have a similar draw. My long scraps are mostly wrapper varieties, and make relatively flavorless, imbalanced filler. The short scraps are almost entirely a random mix of my filler varieties--and in ratios similar to my long filler blends, and make delicious cigars.

Many commercial short filler cigars taste as though wrapper types predominate in the filler blend. Some brands are notorious for loosely wrapped short filler. I would guess that only a few companies care enough about their short filler cigars to lavish any quality control on them or on the personnel responsible for their manufacture.

Bob

dondford

"My long scraps are mostly wrapper varieties, and make relatively flavorless, imbalanced filler."

This has been my experience as well; I suspect that many (maybe not all) wrapper varieties were developed to net the attributes important for wrappers, large, thin flexible, blemish free leaves and not necessarily for favor. I started out saving my wrapper scraps, but don't bother now, but have started treating my good filler .scraps like gold. I also agree a short filler cigar must be tight to smoke properly and I suspect they need more aging time than a long filler cigar.

D

D

webmost

I dunno bout that. My fave Scrappowoc Perfectos are all habano wrapper. Very tasty.

Chris A

I sing the praises of scraps as well. My recent ones have a broadleaf binder and Nic Viso wrapper. They are wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.