Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigars and heartburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
A "friend" of mine went to Jamaica and offered to bring me back some Cuban cigars, but I'd have to pay for them. I know the offshore tourist traps are flooded with fake Cuban cigars, so I did a search for la Casa del Habano to see if there was a place where he could buy official Cuban cigars. As luck would have it, there was a Casa del Habano in Montego Bay, so I told him to get the cigars there and he agreed to do so.

Long story short, I paid him $45 for three cigars, fired one up and after about an inch into the cigar, I got the most gawd awful heartburn ever. It wasn't regular heartburn like from eating at McDonalds, it was deeper and lower...more in my chest then throat.

A long time ago, I read that this affect was due to poorly or improperly cured tobacco. So my questions are...

1. Do real Cuban cigars give you heartburn?
2. Does improperly cured tobacco give you heartburn?
3. Did my friend lie to me and buy Cuban cigars from some guy in the restroom at a gas station?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The only consistent complaint I've heard regarding Cuban cigars is that they tend to be strong. That's been my experience with Cuban cigars of various brands over several decades. Even the very smooth Davidoff Havanas (now extinct) that I used to buy were nearly blond, but very full bodied. No heartburn.

I've rolled my fair share of inadequately cured tobacco. The flavor and aroma are unmistakable--but no heartburn. All of us have likely smoked some really crummy cigars--no heartburn.

Hard to say what may have been sequestered in that cigar. Possibly some foreign matter.

If I become nicotine toxic from a cigar that is way too potent, which happens on occasion, it causes a mild nausea, malaise and extensive belching, all of which resolve within a half-hour.

I would assume the remaining two Cubans are good.

Bob

darren1979

First Time Grower
I've smoked maybe 20 Cuban cigars over the last 2 years and never had a problem with heart burn, as Bob said maybe 5 were what I considered strong but not un smokable. Out of interest what cigars did you get?

rainmax

Founding Member
If he didn't buy cigars in Casa del Habanos they are for sure fake. Also they have fresh cigars in official stores and it is good to wait another year to be enjoyable. Not always.
The best Cuban cigar I have smoked was in Bilbao Spain. It was Robaina Famosos. Beautiful medium creamy with lots of rich smoke. When I come back home I bought 5 pack of the same brand in local store.
I get them dated back in 2007. Aged. It is not the same cigar anyway. It is mild creamy but not so rich. Anyway ten years back they probably didn't use Corojo.

This year I bought in Cuba Siglo VI from trusted source. Of course it is Cuban tobacco and good too, but far away from Siglo VI which you buy inn factory for 490 CUC.
I also get some factory seconds which are aloud to workers once a month. But who knows their story. They are fairly good and rich.

I need to make you sampler...

DIY Pete

First I am not an expert in Cuban cigars. That said I have never experienced anything like you have described Don. I have had symptoms similar to what Bob describes from a strong stick.

The general consensus on another forum I frequent is that South America is a hard place to find real Cubans. I have heard stories of fake singles even in a la Casa del Habano. I have no personal experience either way, the closest I have ever been to South America is the Florida Keys. When it comes to fakes they can be filled with ok tobacco, just not the real thing. I have also seen pictures of fakes that had hair, cigarette butts, and paper in them. The best way to figure it out is to dissect the cigar but who wants to ruin a cigar, especially one that is hard to come by.

Pete

Smokin Harley

When my wife and I got married in Jamaica I had found Cohibas in the stop point halfway from the airport to our resort(it was over an hour bus ride). So I bought one. I paid $8 for one and then there were beach vendors who sold them and other brands as well...during the week I bought probably 5 more and paid $10 each, all looked ,tasted,and burned the exact same -slow. I was very impressed by them and their taste. Was I smoking a genuine article Cohiba?? I don't have a clue but they sure were good and spoiled me for a lot of other cigars.

webmost

Gal I know went to Cuba recently and brought me back a fiver of real small Cohibas. Sparked one this weekend. First Cuban I've smoked which was at all decent. No heartburn; tho I was possibly too drunk to tell. You want the rest, I'll shoot you a package. Enjoyable little smokes.

DIY Pete

Don,
Your package hit the post office this afternoon. You should have it in a couple of days. I'll PM the tracking number tomorrow if your interested

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.