Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pipe gurus in packing method...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
I just put some loose tobacco in the pipe and then lightly compress it with my finger. I'll do this two or three times until the bowl is full and medium tight. Then I'll light it and take a drag or two and let it go out, then I tamp it down lightly with a tamper tool (8mm Mauser cartridge casing) after that initial burn off. After relighting, it should just take an occasional sip of the pipe to keep it going. I don't use cased tobacco or aromatics, just straight tobacco blends and I have it in low medium case.
If I'm just smoking a piece straight off the leaf, I tear a hunk off the leaf and wad it up, stuff it in the pipe as a wad and start smoking. I try to sample all the varieties by themselves in the pipe to see what they might bring to a blend, even cigar varieties.

Interesting! I've got some samples BrownThumb sent, and I've been meaning to try them on their own to see how they work and to train the palate. I'll have to try that leaf wad technique. Thanks!

jolly

I just put some loose tobacco in the pipe and then lightly compress it with my finger. I'll do this two or three times until the bowl is full and medium tight. Then I'll light it and take a drag or two and let it go out, then I tamp it down lightly with a tamper tool (8mm Mauser cartridge casing) after that initial burn off. After relighting, it should just take an occasional sip of the pipe to keep it going. I don't use cased tobacco or aromatics, just straight tobacco blends and I have it in low medium case.
If I'm just smoking a piece straight off the leaf, I tear a hunk off the leaf and wad it up, stuff it in the pipe as a wad and start smoking. I try to sample all the varieties by themselves in the pipe to see what they might bring to a blend, even cigar varieties.

This is pretty much my method also. I'd add that when you draw it should feel similar to drinking through a straw. Get yourself a glass of water with a straw and test it side by side for a while until you get the feel for it. The method of filling the pipe is less important than the result -- a good draw.

Sid.Stavros

I think first depends on the tobacco how you are gonna fill the pipe and second from the pipe itself. For example same shapes help you with flakes some not and don't forget the Gourd Calabash.Due to the shallow insert and narrow air-hole there are no may options. Many pipes + different cut tobaccos in your rack = Lot of packing experience.

Sid.Stavros

The insert has a smaller hole than the Briar pipe,first i check if it's 100% open.I pack gently because you have no space for correction as you have with the Briar.I prefer to "rub" a little bit the tobacco,let if fall and finally a smooth press with my finger. I also take care while use the tamper,not too much press otherwise the hole may clogged.When the insert gets hot isn't wise to remove it for example to unclog the hole,in a Briar pipe you can do a lot of things because the material isn't so fragile as the Meerschaum.

LewZephyr

Thanks for the vid BB. Hadn't tried that before. May give it a run on the next puff. I hit the Sticks more than Pipes, but enjoy both.

Status
Not open for further replies.