Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

I quit growin at least for this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
A dead tiller is just a reason to find a old but strong 70's era tiller and bring it back to life..

I wouldn't trade my 42 year old tiller for a new one....

Mines made stronger than any new one

rustycase

Well, drbob, I guess you could try some direct seeding.
Toss a few handfuls out the window into the median here and there when you are out on patrol and something will probably grow.
I discovered one of the 'primitives' growing in the tended beds of a government building, just the other day... If I get back by there I'll be sure to take a camera to play the 'name that strain' game. Kinda spade shaped leaves, smaller sized, and white with a touch of purple on the trumpet shaped flowers.
Sorry to hear about your tiller. rc

DrBob

Founding Member
what I should have said was my 12" tiller bit the dust. I need that to weed. It was a cheap tiller when I bought it 8 years ago, probably has 500 hours on it not too bad for a $189.00 tiller.

I do have a Troy Built Pony that works just fine since the day it was new in 1977.. but it is a little clumsy for weeding between the plants

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Gotta love them old tillers....when all my tilling is done for this year...I'm gonna give mine a fresh paint job..

Possibly john Deere colours

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Have you considered a chemical weed control..herbicide??

DrBob

Founding Member
I have been just plain busy this year, I don't expect to have the time to tend a tobacco garden as well as I should this year.. The broke tiller is just an excuse. I lost my 2014 and 2013 crops from hail damage in late august both years so I already have an attitude. I still have about 150# hanging in the barn just aging so I am not hurting for the stuff.

I may plant a dozen, but that don't count as a garden to me. I do like the flowers on them tobacco plants and the novelty it is to the neighbors...

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I know how you feel Bob......got tired of the rain/wind blowing my tobacco plants flat, seems like an annual occurance.

And I got lazy this spring, decided to do something different. Normally I hand dig my 1,000 sq ft garden (need the exercise). I just dragged a garden rake over surface, broadcast some barley seed and fertilizer about mid-March. Am going for homegrown home-brew, kinda stupid as malted barley is so cheap to buy and the whole process of growing, willowing, malting etc. is so labor-intensive - but, hey, it's true homebrew. And my hops are doing great.

Anyway, the barley's up about 3 ft high, the grain spikes are showing. This last Saturday night, we get 2 1/2 inches of rain and high winds. About 1/4th of my crop gets blown flat - spent 2 days getting most of it to stand back up. In the process, I discover that I have a couple dozen plants with smut-covered grain spikes. Pulled these plants, hoping to keep the spores from spreading. Am pissed as I figure the seeds I got were infected - sent a nasty email to Fedco Seeds in Maine.

Home gardening can be a real PITA at times, but it keeps me occupied. At least with the barley, I can sit in my lawn chair, smoke a homegrown, drink a homebrew, and watch the grains waving in the breeze.

Last edited:

Ben Brand

You Yanks:cool: are privileged in a way, you v`e got all the tobacco you can buy on your doorstep, ftt etc, so you lot can afford to take a year off. Me living on the arse side of the world, have got no choice, I don't plant, I don't smoke, come rain, wind or hail, that's all tobacco I have!!!! So enjoy!!!!
Ben

DrBob

Founding Member
I did plant 6 seedlings yesterday and it froze last night. I think the tobacco is ok, I misted em down at 2 am and again at 530 shoulda held off a day

Status
Not open for further replies.