Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hobbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob,
Not pictured are the 4 sub woofers that go with the line array speakers in the living room. I also have 3 or 4 more projects waiting on me to start them.
Pete
Whew! That's a relief. I was concerned that you may have been engaged in sub-standard sub-woofing.

Is the array of speakers used for TV, movies, digital music, or real vinyl?

Bob

charlie G.

Wow Pete that is an impressive collection. Do you build your own boxes ? And to think I'm holding off buying a sound bar for my new TV.
I should get some advice from you on a good one.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I agree pete...those speakers do look nice..i like the customization youve done...i bet they would sound good on my system..

Speakers are something i need to update on my stereo

BigBonner

Founding Member
Looks like a sound system I need as I have severe ringing in my ears .
I can't hardly watch any Tv because I can not hear the words because of the ringing noise.

My hobby is spending time with my grandson and collecting Dazey hand crank butter churns .

DIY Pete

Whew! That's a relief. I was concerned that you may have been engaged in sub-standard sub-woofing.

Is the array of speakers used for TV, movies, digital music, or real vinyl?

Bob

I use them for all of the above (except vinyl) but don't use the subs for TV viewing. With a 50 watt amp I can drive everyone out of the house so the power usage is really very little maybe 1 or 2 watts at TV listening levels.

Wow Pete that is an impressive collection. Do you build your own boxes ? And to think I'm holding off buying a sound bar for my new TV.
I should get some advice from you on a good one.

I do build my own boxes, it's the part of the hobby I really enjoy. I'm not very good at designing the passive crossovers so I get help on those from friends that are deeper into the hobby than I am. Check out Parts Express on the web. The forum and project gallery are first class. I'm sue you can build something with better sound than you can buy.

Looks like a sound system I need as I have severe ringing in my ears .
I can't hardly watch any Tv because I can not hear the words because of the ringing noise.

My hobby is spending time with my grandson and collecting Dazey hand crank butter churns .

Most TV speakers suck and the ringing in the ears don't help your ability to hear them. I have it from time to time but it's not bad. A nice set of speakers with good resolution will help some.

Pete

Knucklehead

Founding Member
BigBonner;107773s said:

I use wireless headphones to stay up and watch TV after the wife has gone to bed. They seem to bring out the dialog better than TV speakers. A little sending unit plugs into the headphone jack and sends a wireless signal to the headphones. You can turn the TV sound all the way down, or leave it at normal level so others can listen to the TV through the TV speakers while you listen through the headphones.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I know my wife is getting tired of me not hearing her when she yells for me . Sometimes selective hearing .
I also know she is tired of me asking her what they said on tv .
When she does the dishes I just quit watching any tv , any noise and I am done . Can't understand a word .
I am deaf in my left ear and I can not tell the direction a noise comes from . Turkey season is aggravating because I may hear the turkey but can not tell the direction he is in at all .

Ben Brand

Bigbonner. I feel for you, got the same problem. Massive ringing in my ears. Wife gets pissed with me if I turn the tv up to load, but the only time I can hear the damn thing.
My ringing self inflicted, Army days, firing 90mm rounds in a confined armoured car without hearing protection, young and very stupid.

My hobby is my cigars.
Ben

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For hearing difficulties, the entire text (click the links) of the following articles may be helpful information.

WebMD said:
New-Generation Digital: These hearing aids offer 16 bands - treble, bass, and mid-levels - for the most precision in sound quality and clarity. "We can computer-program a hearing aid on as many as 16 bands, to match their hearing loss at every pitch. It's tailor-made to match their hearing loss," explains Dibkey. "And the directional microphones are clinically proven to be most effective in improving speech intelligibility in noisy situations." Cost: $1,200 to $3,500.

"The newest technology is definitely worth the expense," says Dibkey. "No hearing aid can eliminate background noise entirely, but they're getting better -- and the newest ones are the best we've ever had. And the clarity is amazing. ... It's like comparing CDs and DVDs with records and video tapes."

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/new-hearing-aids
Mayo Clinic said:
Hearing aids can't restore normal hearing. They can improve your hearing by amplifying soft sounds and reducing loud background noise.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hearing-loss/in-depth/hearing-aids/art-20044116?pg=1
Another useful article: http://www.healthyhearing.com/conte...ds/Awards/41066-Hearing-aids-background-noise

Bob

LewZephyr

My job as a full time DEA agent takes up all my time... I'll post more about that when I get back from Florida. :cool:

Ahh thank you for that... had me rolling.

I am a pretty avid PC gamer. Have been that way since my Apple ][e.
I tend to read when I can (I like to read, but fast I am not. Wife can finish a book in an evening, were I could take weeks or more). Mostly in the vein of SciFi / Fantasy.
I enjoy cooking both indoor and out. (I have been told I make some mean smoked meats Brisket, Pork Butt, Turkey)

DIY Pete

Ahh thank you for that... had me rolling.

I am a pretty avid PC gamer. Have been that way since my Apple ][e.
I tend to read when I can (I like to read, but fast I am not. Wife can finish a book in an evening, were I could take weeks or more). Mostly in the vein of SciFi / Fantasy.
I enjoy cooking both indoor and out. (I have been told I make some mean smoked meats Brisket, Pork Butt, Turkey)

Lew,
Who do you read? The author I like the most is David Eddings.

Pete

LewZephyr

Lew,
Who do you read? The author I like the most is David Eddings.

Pete

Right now I am working my way through discworld series. Amazing I never read it previously... laughing my ass off on every book. I came late to Terry Pratchett and was very sad to hear he left us.

Glen Cook: Black Company and the Garret PI are both great.

Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman Have enjoyed most of their stuff, but the Death Gate Cycle was right up my alley.

Steven Brust is one of my more favorite reads. The whole Vlad Taltos series has been read several times by me.

And and old one for me is the Michael Moorcock books. Haven't read em in a while, but went through them like a ravenous dog when I was a kid.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the 1970s, I read the first volume of Stephen R. Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Little did I know that it would not be until spring of 2015 that I could read the final volume (#10), which I finished about a month ago.

In a perverse way, it reminds me of my sense of relief on hearing of the death of Frank Herbert. So...Chapterhouse Dune is really the last Dune novel. But wait! There's more! His son then went on to co-author another gazillion Dune novels--all very good, but not as stunning as the original Dune.

And speaking of endless stories, I've already purchased my ticket to see Jurassic World 3D.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I havent read a book since the last time i was in jail.

Van

PC gaming went out the window when my daughter came along (pushing random buttons while saying WHOOO-HOO PAPPA KYK DA)
seems not to work well with the avatar on screen........

So now its Hot sauce and growing tobacco/chilli/anything I think I can use to make something out of
Hot.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.