Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hobbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenneumann

I didn't see a thread anywhere about other hobbies everyone has, so I thought I would create one. If I did miss it, please provide the link so I can get it in the right place.

But I was just curious of what everyone does for hobbies outside of work or if not working. I myself only have a few hobbies. My one major hobby I am into is tarantula collecting, don't ask why. Short simple answer is that I've always been fascinated with bugs ever since I was a kid. I only got into the hobby a few years ago, and have a collection of around 100+ tarantulas. At one point that collection was up around 500+.

My second hobby is beer brewing. I got into that hobby about a little over 5 years ago. I never really thought about brewing beer until my wifes brother talked about that he always wanted to brew his own beer. so one day I just started looking on the internet and found a few interesting websites and that's where I bought my first brew kit. my first brew was a Oktoberfest that was to die for, and ever since I have been hooked. I have slowed down a bit on the brewing but I plan on picking it back up pretty soon.

And lastly my most recent hobby is right here on this website, making my own cigars and growing my own tobacco. I'm still new to it but I am learning so much information just from this website. pretty soon cigar rolling will probably be my number one hobby.

USHOG

To me growing tobacco and fermenting alcohol is not a hobby its away of life. A few of my hobbies are fishing, and reading these forums.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I don't have any hobbies... I have kids. But now that they are getting older, I think my hobbies will resurface. They were... coin collecting, hiking/backpacking, canoeing, shooting (any kind of gun as long as it goes BANG). I guess if I have any kind of hobby it would be giving Knucks are hard time.. :p

I do have some old cars that I enjoy working on so maybe that's a hobby? I don't go to car shows, swap meets or anything like that. I have a 72 Vega Wagon with steel sleeved engine, a 73 Ford F100 (240 straight six, 3 on the tree) and a 74 Ford E200. You could probably also count my 86 Turbo Diesel TIDI Jetta and my 89 Ford F150 too.

I agree with USHOG. I look at growing and processing as a way of life. It's fun sometimes but I look at a hobby as something you do where you throw tons of money at something with little in return except a little satisfaction from doing it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm. This is a challenging linguistic issue. Generally, a hobby is considered to be an activity one does in one's spare time, and not related to one's source of income. Perhaps this is also restricted to activities that one enjoys performing.

I can say with certainty that I have no idea what "spare time" means any more. I am retired. I suppose it's the sum of all hours between now and when I drop dead.

Let's see...
Is not a hobby:
  • mowing the lawn
  • digging garden beds
  • cooking
  • vacuuming the floor
  • scrubbing the toilet
  • installing plumbing fixtures
  • auto mechanics
  • killing hornworms
  • spraying for aphids
  • watering the garden
  • cleaning vinyl house siding
  • making coffee
  • fire-curing tobacco
  • fighting off the critters that eat my garden
  • weeding
  • writing non-fiction
Is a hobby:
  • surfing FTT
  • watching plants grow
  • cooking
  • priming mature tobacco
  • rolling and smoking cigars
  • reading
  • writing fiction
  • backpacking in perfect weather
  • whittling
  • drinking coffee
  • cheese making
  • pickle making
  • eating food that I have grown
  • walking along rural roads
  • creating 3D computer graphics
  • identifying plants and animals
  • learning new fields of knowledge
  • collecting fossils
Bob

Swedroller

if you´r in doubt, ask your wife. If she says don´t do it it´s probably a hobby.

Bob, with that list of hobbies i understand you dont now what "spare time" is. I wish i was retired.
My hobbies are fishing and some sports and since almost a year this thing about rolling cigars really hooked me up.

greetings from a cold and rainy sweden

Smokin Harley

Hobbies...hmmm, well now...
besides this rolling ,and smoking cigars which has turned into growing the tobacco as well.
My wife and I sure enjoy riding my Harley every chance we get and everywhere we can think of.
Gardening.
I dabbled in guitar but my fingers are so thick and getting more and more arthritic (painful too) I'm thinking of selling them.
Music- listening, going to see live bands.
Going to the gym , just makes a body feel good afterwards.
My wife and I also have three chocolate labradors ...I brought the female into the relationship and we got the older male together then the two had a litter almost a year ago (June 5) and her son kept the first male and my son got another male to keep the bloodline going, my original choc girl begat his choc male which begat my current choc female and so on and so forth (and with both the boys' dogs we now have the 4th generation of the same bloodline . )
Beer snobbing- my wife and I love to try new beers .
Wine snobbing- much like beer snobbing except usually in winter months.
Whiskey snobbing- year round...well you get the idea.
Food- cooking and eating good food. Both of us do this well. Which is why we must go to the gym...

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
My hobbie trully is horticulture...the growing of things..from my yard flowers to my bacca...and marijuana...allthough since moving back to my house in a rural area i dont grow the weed no more.

It sucks having such a nice indoor grow room that i cant use...i still use it as a starting area..that doubles as a kiln..

But id prefer to grow pot in it all year round...i really hate buying weed..when i know what i grow is 100 times better than whats on the local market..id like to see it legalized.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My job as a full time DEA agent takes up all my time... I'll post more about that when I get back from Florida. :cool:

Gdaddy

I guess I like making my own 'stuff' no matter what it is.

Cigar rolling and 'petuning' has taken my attention for the past few years. Golf is the greatest past time and hobby that has stayed with me for many years. The greatest game ever played... imho. Of course my cigars go golfing with me but they never return home. Pizza making is another. I went on a quest to make the best thin/cracker crust pizza.

My past hobbies are too many to list.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Hobbies come and go. I had a "minor" stroke 6 years ago, causing some left-side weakness. To the casual observer, there is no residual. But I played classical guitar for nearly a half-century, and can no longer do that. It took several years of frequent and intensive hand exercises for my left hand, before I could once again give Spock's "Live long and prosper" sign. That's not related to grip strength, but to the hand's intrinsic muscles (the meat between your finger bones, that spread the fingers and bring them together). Forming simple guitar chords works okay, but fully barred chords up high on the neck lack sufficient force. For Country, Blue Grass and folk music, the pulls, pushes and slides are kind of crummy now.

Classical pieces on the guitar were memorized ages ago. That means that the fingers simply go where they are supposed to, without conscious thought. Well, they don't, with my left hand. If I can actually consciously recall the fingering, then I can play the piece. More often though, while attempting to play, say, a lute piece from decades ago, I run into dead ends. I remember, of course, what it should sound like, but I have to laboriously figure out the proper fingering anew. It's a little bit sad, but just a part of life. I used to pole vault, run cross-country, dive and compete in gymnastics. For years, I cross-country skied, and did snow-shoe treks. Now, I am genuinely satisfied with walking a couple of miles down a country road two or three times a week.

Abilities come and go. Cultural artifacts come and go. Back when postage stamps were a regular and abundant aspect of commerce and communication, I used to collect stamps from around the world. Ever since postage stamps became no more than cash cows for issuing agencies, that hobby faded away. It no longer has the same meaning, and is more akin to collecting Smoky Mountains souvenirs made in China--it's just stuff, with no cultural significance.

My Swedish-made Goya classical guitar (from 1969) looks nice, hanging on the wall in my living room, alongside a huge guitarron that I bought in Mexico in 1977.

Bob

charlie G.

I have a few hobbies I enjoy. I surf fish the New Jersey shore, Tie my own saltwater flies. I at times when in the mood, build saltwater plugs for surf fishing. And as of lately I am obsessed with rolling my own cigars. I'm not up on the background and details of tobacco, maybe that will come later.
Being single, retired, and living in a 3 story 5 bedroom house I don't consider todo projects hobbies. I rather go fishing and smoke a cigar on the beach.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Since having kids who are now 2 and 4 my hobbies have gone out the window. I used to play football a couple times a week, go mountain bike riding in the country and playing the Xbox 360.
As the kids get older hopefully I'll get more spare time and can start up again or they can join me.

But one thing I am planning on doing is building a cnc router, I've wanted one for so long!!

butwiper

Fireworking, And the chemistry envloved Is my life long hobby, So much of that hobby spills over to other hobbys. Learning to fly is the other.

DIY Pete

I count only 53, Pete. Where are the rest of them?

Bob

Bob,
Not pictured are the 4 sub woofers that go with the line array speakers in the living room. I also have 3 or 4 more projects waiting on me to start them.
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.