Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tell me what i've got

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladaok

Been away from here a while, ( too long )

Anyway, I was given a fist full of seed by Ben ' B ' a coupe of years ago now ?
I grew them all, some I ruined with mould, some probably not cured correctly ... big learning curve, usually by mistakes ! ... still I managed to try them all
I will list them short hand ... as I'm a V slow typist, and I may pass on B4 I get finished
icon_lol.gif

african red
aztec rustica
bafra
bahia
bursa
blk sea sam
blk stork mam
comst span
conn br leaf
flori sama
havana 142
hick pry
izmar ozbaz
kelly
little dutch
MD 609
paris wrap
penn broa leaf
penn red
perique
shirazi
silv river
sym #9
xan yaka # 18
zimmer span

none seem to smoke v well by them selves. although african red and florida sumatra are pretty good
I have found that blending some together give you a much better smoke ....do you see any good combos.
icon_question.gif

Can you suggest something that I might be missing, I'm after a stronger aroma , I want to try some other varieties

DonH

Well you have to separate them into categories before blending. Looks like you have flue cured, lots of cigar types, one burley and some Orientals. For a cigarette try 60% flue cured (African Red, Hickory Pryor) 20% Burley (Kelly Burley) and 20% Oriental (Xanthi Yaka, Shirazi, Izmir Ozbas, Black Sea Samsun, Bafra, Bursa) and maybe add a pinch of cigar tobacco.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Orientals:
  • Bafra
  • Bursa
  • Samsun
  • Izmir Ozbas
  • Shirazi
  • Smyrna #9
  • Xanthi Yaka # 18
Cigar:
  • Bahia
  • Comstock Spanish
  • CT Broadleaf
  • FL Sumatra
  • Havana 142
  • Little Dutch
  • MD 609
  • PA Broadleaf
  • PA Red
  • Perique
Flue-Cure:
  • Black Stalk Mammoth
  • Hickory Pryor
  • Paris Wrapper
Burley:
  • Kelly Burley
For cigarettes, a common American-style starting blend:
Flue-Cured: 60%
Burley: 30%
Oriental: 10%

For cigars, just pick out an intact wrapper and binder, then blend the filler with two or three other varieties.

Pipe blends using just what you've grown, can be a mixture of a flue-cure variety, an Oriental, an a bit of anything else.

Look at the index of key forum threads for helpful topics: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3868-Key-threads-in-the-FTT-forum

The world of pipe blending opens up with the addition of the following techniques:
Cavendish curing: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/637-Making-Black-Cavendish-Pipe-Tobacco
Perique curing: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/2873-Really-Easy-Perique-Press
and even Latakia (of a sort): http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5016-Making-Latakia-at-Home

Kilning the air-cured tobacco makes a world of difference, especially for cigar blending: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5688-Knuckleheads-Wooden-Box-Kiln-Build
and
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads...oskeletal-Wood-Tobacco-Kiln-Flue-cure-chamber

Bob

Matty

I too will also recommend kilning some of the leaf. Plain air cured leaf is quite raw and usually not too satisfying.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Air-cured leaf improves substantially with age, but this is measured in seasons or years. Kilning accelerates the aging process, so it's mostly complete after 30 days.

Bob

ladaok

Ok, yes your spot on, the leaf i have now was all air cured , it is now 1 1/2 years old ... and really smokes a lot better than new .... I will make a dooffy do to kiln and flue cure
Can you air dry and colour the leaf, store it for say a couple of months, then kiln it ?

ALSO could you nominate a couple more gig baccys that us down under would go for ... I have some friends that want to grow but smoke it straight off the plant
icon_lol.gif
YTB and that del monti ...mmmm what ever look good
icon_question.gif
[FONT=Lucida Grande, Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]but for me ... some of your favourite Cuban or similar cigar varieties you just couldn't go with out [/FONT]
eusa_drool.gif

DonH

Ok, yes your spot on, the leaf i have now was all air cured , it is now 1 1/2 years old ... and really smokes a lot better than new .... I will make a dooffy do to kiln and flue cure
Can you air dry and colour the leaf, store it for say a couple of months, then kiln it ?

ALSO could you nominate a couple more gig baccys that us down under would go for ... I have some friends that want to grow but smoke it straight off the plant
icon_lol.gif
YTB and that del monti ...mmmm what ever look good
icon_question.gif

but for me ... some of your favourite Cuban or similar cigar varieties you just couldn't go with out
eusa_drool.gif

Some of the best air cured Virginia I grew was air cured, aged a whole year, then kilned. I didn't kiln it for a year because I didn't have a kiln. I also kept some unkilned and it was good, too. Brighter in color and taste then the kilned leaf. I don't have any more of the kilned and only have one cigarette's worth left of the unkilned 2012 VBL.

As for smoking unaged, I'm trying to remember which ones are good. Definitely African Red and Silver River are good with little aging. Some of the Turkish types, too.

As for "dooffy do" and "gig baccy" I have no idea what that means. :) I'll have to see if Google Translate does Down Under to American English.

DGBAMA

Of the few cigar types I have tried, Lonnie s Havanah probably requires the last aging to yield a good flavor.

ladaok

sorry ... a dooffy do will be a kiln / smoker and gig is cigarette

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. You can kiln the leaf at any time after it is color-cured.

For cigar leaf with minimal aging, the Perique variety is surprisingly good, as is Little Dutch. Most others improve so much with kilning that it's almost a crime to smoke it without kilning or prolonged (several years) aging.

Having the ability to flue-cure your Virginia types makes a dramatic difference for cigarette use.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.