Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New to Fair Trade Tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howdy

Just received my first batch of tobacco. Decided to try some whole leaf and see. Have smoked Bugler canister for 20 yrs. Was pleased with it up until Brown & Williamson went teets up. Quality and taste has slowly gone down hill ever since.

Went with Yedi Turkish/American blend. I would rather not add anything to the tobacco if possible.

My question(s) is this: Can I roast it to get rid of the alkaloids and what ever else that makes it taste bad?
If so, can someone recommend possible method, the temp and length of roasting time?
Can I roast it before deveining and shredding?

Would appreciate any helpful info.

Thanks!
Howdy

ps: I purchase it from Whole Leaf Tobacco.

DonH

The Yedi blend shouldn't need any toasting or roasting. There's nothing about that blend that tastes bad. Especially if you use the casing that comes with it.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Welcome to FTT, I really hope (and think) some one can help you with your questions..
If you look around you will find out that you can test alot of things..

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
The price on a pouch of store bacca is stupid expensive..id say experiment a little..im sure youll find a blend your pleased with.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Try each variety by itself to identify which flavor you are not pleased with. Reduce the amount of that variety in your blend. Turkish tobaccos have a perfumy, aromatic flavor. Perhaps you are not used to quite so much Turkish in your blend since you smoked Bugler for so long. An American style blend may be more to your liking. I use 10-15% Turkish in my blends.
Most full flavor American smokers like about 50-60% flue cure, 30-40% Burley, 10% Turkish. My personal blend is 40% flue cure, 20% toasted or untoasted aged Burley, 20% Maryland, 10% Dark Air, 10% Turkish. Burley is the only cigarette tobacco normally toasted to reduce harshness. I'm told my blend has a pretty strong flavor, although it is easy on the tongue with a nice little nicotine throat hit.

Welcome to the forum.

Howdy

Thanks Don. One of the reasons I switched to whole leaf is that I wanted to get away from any additives of any kind. Don't know exactly whats in the casing so am anxious about using it. Used a kitchen knife on the first batch. Came out with pretty wide strips, but did case it . It was alright but ...

Next batch I used sharp scissors. Much better shreds, a lot easier to roll. This time I spread what I had shredded on an aluminum pan and roasted it at 175 degrees in my oven for 15 minutes, carefully turned over with a spatula, and did another 15 minutes. Then instead of casing it I used apple slices to re-moisten it. Took close to 24 hours but it worked very nicely! Not only does it roll much better but it tastes pretty good. I like it.

Shredded about 1/6th of a pound the first batch and about 1/4 of a pound the second batch and am still enjoying the 2nd batch! Eventually I will get a decent shredder but for now.

I do have a couple of questions though. 1) Can I freeze the two unopened packages so as to keep them fresh until I need them?
2) How do I change my User name? (Figured out how to change my password but have yet to find how to change my User name).

Thanks again.

Howdy

Knucklehead,

Thank you. Am still trying to figure out how to change my User name. Rather appreciate your blends suggestions. Will be experimenting with blends, etc. as I go.
I lightly roasted my 2nd batch and used no casing. Liked it a little better than the non-roasted cased 1st batch. Apple works nicely to re-moisten it.

(Once I figure it out I am going to shorten my User name up to simply Howdy).

Take Care.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I've heard that Yedi tastes excellent without any further/finish process :rolleyes: I don't know in which form WLT blends arrive to customers (single package or individual packages) but you may try to toast Burley leaves in the blend. BTW, welcome to the forum.

burge

Toasting is 250 degrees for 20 -25 mins and you can do that in the oven then spray it with water to moisten it should be fine. I am cdn so do not like the american falvours however Dons toasted Burley really good. I mxed mine with the lemon virginia and had a davidoff then I rolled one of mine it was so much better in every way. Even the guy who game me the davidoff said the same thing. that was about a 60/40 split. To stop the harshness etc yo have to miosten the tobacco let it dry then remoisten it.

Status
Not open for further replies.