Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Burning Tobacco...... Volunteers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

So I have a burn pile for yard cleanup, all the tobacco stalks went in the pile last fall. Now I find I have unexpected volunteers. I'm half tempted to transplant them and see if they grow up as an identifiable type just for fun. See what this new "fire resistant" variety is.

14336203582580.jpg
14336203958861.jpg

ArizonaDave

So I have a burn pile for yard cleanup, all the tobacco stalks went in the pile last fall. Now I find I have unexpected volunteers. I'm half tempted to transplant them and see if they grow up as an identifiable type just for fun. See what this new "fire resistant" variety is.

View attachment 15708
View attachment 15709

Heck, why not just let them grow where they are? It'll add to the mystery :) Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

DGBAMA

Yes, I could let them go. But the soil conditions of this burn pile are far less than ideal. They would grow out in soil with gosh knows what's in it. I burn everything in that pile.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It's amazing that they survived all that heat. I have a burn pile also and know what you mean about the different stuff that is burned there. It's not just cardboard boxes. Old computers, vacuum cleaners, garden hoses, etc. Stuff the garbage man won't pick up, but it's thirty miles to the county dump. I have to occasionally rake out the metal that doesn't burn. It's amazing how little metal is actually in most small appliances, stereos, etc. nowadays. It's mostly plastic now.
The plants should transplant easy enough. It will be good practice for "Name that Variety". You could start a new game show. lol.

Smokin Harley

View attachment 15708
View attachment 15709

Do you think they'll be fire cured right off the stalk???
Alabama Fire Cured ...sounds about right

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would consider volunteer, unidentified tobacco to be a weed. It's stressful enough, waiting to see what you ultimately get with a known and desired variety. Even if weed tobacco turns out to be a wonderful "find," it's likely an F1 hybrid, open-pollinated thing that is not genetically stable, and troublesome (5 to 7 years of grow-outs and observation and culling) to guide into a stable--and maybe very different--variety.

"Tend me, or I will kill myself."

220px-Natlamp73.jpg

Out of principle, I refused to buy a copy of this famous 1973 issue of National Lampoon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lampoon_(magazine)

I would put them out of their misery, rather than waste a part of my life being held hostage by the little tobacco orphans.

Brutal Bob

DGBAMA

Tobacco can grow anywhere. I decided to leave the burn pile alone, here they are currently.
14420726882061.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.