Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar blends for the pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvick003

Has anyone experimented with taking a cigar blend and smoking it in a pipe? I wonder if taking a cigar leaf/blend and shredding it and mixing in the same percentages as in a rolled cigar would give a similar effect? Has anyone tried this before?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My experience is that smoking a cigar blend in a pipe tastes awful, and leaves you with a reeking pipe. An exception would be the very mild Havana varieties and sweet PA Maduro, neither of which have a distinctive cigar aroma.

But this is just my own experience.

Bob

Raodwarior

Shred a nice maduro leaf with a good English blend...Frog Morton works for a common one, and you get the nice molasses undertone...as for straight cigar blends my experience mirrors Bob's.

webmost

I scored a couple clean white clay pipes off jitterbug to try testing cigar blends. Doesn't taste the same at all. Different temperature or something. Murky, yet at the same time harsh.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
My experience is that smoking a cigar blend in a pipe tastes awful, and leaves you with a reeking pipe. An exception would be the very mild Havana varieties and sweet PA Maduro, neither of which have a distinctive cigar aroma.

But this is just my own experience.

Bob

Shred a nice maduro leaf with a good English blend...Frog Morton works for a common one, and you get the nice molasses undertone...as for straight cigar blends my experience mirrors Bob's.
Thankyou guys

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I have a lot of cigar scraps. I add some Flue cured to them, shred and smoke it in a pipe. The addition of the flue cured makes it a nice smoke.

dvick003

Really? Flue-cured is the trick huh? It would be nice to use those cigar scraps for something besides short filler cigars... What would you suggest for cigar leaf and flue-cured ratios for a pipe blend?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Not really. I just have a big bag of cigar scraps that I'll blend with some flue cured. I have no idea what is in the mix. It's a nice smoke but I prefer a more "traditional" pipe tobacco blend such as Little Dutch with Virginia Brightleaf (and some Deer tongue) or Homemade Perique with Virginia Brightleaf.

dvick003

Not really. I just have a big bag of cigar scraps that I'll blend with some flue cured. I have no idea what is in the mix. It's a nice smoke but I prefer a more "traditional" pipe tobacco blend such as Little Dutch with Virginia Brightleaf (and some Deer tongue) or Homemade Perique with Virginia Brightleaf.

Great... Thanks JBD.

theeninfam

Here are several good ones. Billy Budd is a flavor bomb, but also a nicotene bomb. The Bankers is a lovely tobacco, well worth searching out. Dark Flake does not contain any cigar leaf, but has very cigar-like qualities. Greg Pease's Robusto is a very high quality tobacco, but not my favorite in this genre.

Planter

I do like Toscano cigars in the pipe, for example, and if I feel like a Vanilla tobacco, my favourite is a Toscanello Vaniglia. I cut a third off (a Toscanello is half a Toscano, and has a weight of about 4g).
I then break the wrapper sidewise open (that way it gets a bit more loose), and push that into the pipe like a flake. It can be smoked very slowly that way. One third (appr. 1.3g) in the pipe lasts as long as a whole Toscanello smoked as a cigar. And is very flavourful. Rubbing the filler out works as well.

If I find cigar tobacco too alkaline for the pipe, I do the following:

# Take, let's say, 5g of cigar tobacco.

# Fill 5ml of rum or whisky into a small "Schnapps glass".

# Add 1 drop of good, pure anise seed oil or star anise oil to the rum (20 drops would be 1 gram from my anise bottle, so 1 drop = 0.05g or 1% of dry tobacco weight).

# Press the tobacco into the "Schnapps glass" and let steep at least overnight, then dry out.

The anise will add just enough sweetness, offset the alkalinity and reduce nicotine availability. Licorice extract works as well.
Adjust the amount of anise to your taste (but careful, it's too easy to add too much).

You can also cut cigars into pieces, soak them in that liquid, dry them out over several days or in the oven and break the wrapper open sidewise to use as a flake.

Cocoa powder (1-2% of tobacco weight), vanilla extract and other essential oils (i.e. orange or lemon grass) can also be added with sweetening/smoothening effect. Tiny amounts have a big effect.

5-10% invert sugar should do something similar, but I don't like it as much. Anise nicely underlines the cigar character, while, in my experience, invert sugar somewhat flattens the taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.