Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ready to Roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shundahai

...well, almost.

I will be a first time roller, and I looking at the WLT WL cigar blend page and trying to make a decision. It's been some time since I indulged in cigars, but back in the day I had a fairly steady diet of Arturo Fuente. I'd like some suggestions as to a couple of blends. I do favor a medium to strong-ish tasting smoke, and I have no clue if a particular blend would be easier or more difficult for the novice roller to roll, based on wrapper properties etc.

My crop of Shirey is going balls-out, and I want to get some experience under my belt for the time that I can make some of it up into smokes. And advice or opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The Ecuador Maduro, CT Shade and the Habano 2000 wrappers are all fairly forgiving. I would suggest starting with the Melodioso Cremosa blend kit, and playing with the ratios of seco to ligero, just to get a feel for blending. They will all be nice cigars.

You've got to start somewhere.

Bob

Shundahai

The Ecuador Maduro, CT Shade and the Habano 2000 wrappers are all fairly forgiving. I would suggest starting with the Melodioso Cremosa blend kit, and playing with the ratios of seco to ligero, just to get a feel for blending. They will all be nice cigars.

You've got to start somewhere.

Bob

Yup, I have to start somewhere. Thanks for your suggestion.

Shundahai

Soooo.....

I ordered the Melodioso Cremosa, Sabroso Medio, and the Terroso Profundo. that should get me rolling :cool:[h=3][/h]

Shundahai

It's always nice to see someone starting to roll. all you'll need is the will.. mostly.

No doubt there is a learning curve to overcome, but I like a good cigar, and I'm good with my hands, so I think I'll be able to learn fairly easily.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Just remember that you haven't rolled a cigar until its photo appears on FTT. "My name is Bob, and I'm a cigar-roller-holic."

Bob

Shundahai

That's the plan. I reckon by this time next week y'all will have a lookee at my first efforts! I'll post whatever the result is, good, bad, or fugly.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My crop of Shirey is going balls-out, and I want to get some experience under my belt for the time that I can make some of it up into smokes. And advice or opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum.
Shirey is a Dark Air variety. One of our members from Washington State sells tobacco seed. If cigars are your thing, I can highly recommend his cigar filler and wrapper seed for next year: Northwood Seeds Retail

Shundahai

Holy Mackerel! I ordered the evening of the 17th, and it arrived a few minutes ago! I need to get set up with some glue and a couple of odd 'n ends and let the good times roll! A big thanks to Don at WLT for prompt, absolutely NO hassle service. That means ALOT to me.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Holy Mackerel! I ordered the evening of the 17th, and it arrived a few minutes ago! I need to get set up with some glue and a couple of odd 'n ends and let the good times roll! A big thanks to Don at WLT for prompt, absolutely NO hassle service. That means ALOT to me.

We try! :)

There should be glue in the bags of wrapper.

georgewes

I am just starting to roll myself. Haven't rolled one yet but the tobacco is coming so it won't be long. I'm always a little nervous about something new like this hobby. But I know if it works out for me I will feel good about it.

waikikigun

I am just starting to roll myself. Haven't rolled one yet but the tobacco is coming so it won't be long. I'm always a little nervous about something new like this hobby. But I know if it works out for me I will feel good about it.

Hey georgewes,

I know there are zillions of cigar rolling vids online, but maybe these will also help put you in the mood. I started a few months ago by doing most of the kits here; now I explore and do my own blends. Anyway here are a couple bunching and wrapping vids I made a few days ago. Hopefully they'll be of some use to you. I started out clueless but watched several hundred videos and rolled several hundred cigars. Now I find the whole process very enjoyable and low-stress.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKQPvIbslAFFDYDGi-EivRQ

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, georgewes. You will have fun. The first 30 or so cigars may be too lose, too shaggy, too wrinkled, too tight...or perfect. But they will be your cigars, and taste wonderful. After that, they will become more consistent and predictable.

To begin, don't give much consideration to their appearance (i.e. don't expect to impress your friends), and you will be a happy person. But you have to post pics of them on the forum. Each of us has rolled our first cigars, and understand the challenge.

Feel free to post a little bit about yourself in the Introduce Yourself forum. Good luck.

Bob

COLIN

I'm about to try some cigar rolling for the first time. I have quite a large quantity of leaf from my 2012 grow it includes PA Red, FL Surmatra, Little Dutch, Bafra, .Will this leaf need to go into the kiln for four weeks for fermenting. Most of the quality of this leaf would be filler and binder with the pa red being the best. I will have to purchase some wrapper from don and after reading a lot of posts from this forum I was going to go with the Habarno any other recommendation welcome. Also do you think that I need a mould.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Colin,
I would recommend kilning the leaf first. The PA Red, FL Sumatra and the Little Dutch can make wrappers/binders. Since FL Sumatra is a much wider leaf, you'll likely find some that have wrapper potential.

No need for a mold, unless you plan to show them off to your brother-in-law.

Case for rolling:
  • wrapper: high
  • binder: medium
  • filler: low
With low case filler, you can crunch it down and roll it as tightly as the binder will bear, and it will still draw well.

Good luck.

[for WLT leaf, the Habano 2000 is a relatively easy wrapper to work with.]

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.