Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Albino corn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
I'm growing some heirloom corn (Hickory Cane) I got from the Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. It has a low germination rate, so I'm doing it in flats to maximize my chances. This morning, I spotted this guy. I wonder why it's like that and what that means. If it turns out to be its own variety, I'll name it Honky King, Crackerlicious, or George Will.

edit: albinism in maize is caused by a gene mutation that also keeps the plant from producing chlorophyll, hence the white leaf and the imminent death of same.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 8

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That's pretty white. Nice catch.

White stem burleys all suffer from a genetic defect in chlorophyll (either production or breakdown, I'm not sure which), but it is partial. The result is sluggish early growth, and some peculiarities in color-curing. The originally discovered white-stem burley was thought to be diseased, and was only propagated to the field when the "healthy" transplants ran out.

Bob

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
So do you think there's any chance this one could live? Trouble is, it'll cross-pollinate with the normal corn, producing a recessive albino at best, unless I somehow get another one and can keep them separate and cross them. I do have another half-pound of seed to plant.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If it survives, just put a paper bag over new ears, then when its tassel forms, break off part of it to hand-dust the silks of the bagged ears, and replace the bags.

It will certainly need some green somewhere, in order to survive. Right now, it's living off the nutrients in the seed.

Bob

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
If it survives, just put a paper bag over new ears, then when its tassel forms, break off part of it to hand-dust the silks of the bagged ears, and replace the bags.

It will certainly need some green somewhere, in order to survive. Right now, it's living off the nutrients in the seed.

Bob

Am I understanding this correctly - that you can self-pollinate corn? Cool!

Brown Thumb

Cool Find there Professor. Plant it in a 5 gallon bucket away from Everything else.
If it survives you might be on to something.
When growing corn, just shake the tassels Until the seed fall in the crouches of the Leaves.
Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.