Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel

Banned
Last year my focus was on growing tobacco. and the final results of that tobacco show it. I have 15 lbs of tobacco I produced in only 220 square feet of space. sadly all that tobacco is suffering in the way of taste. I air cured it all which as it turns out was not the best choice for all of it. This year I plan to grow nearly 2000 plants and I will be putting more focus on curing so that I do not grow 150 lbs of useless tobacco. There are 4 basic types of curing. Air Cured, Flue Cured, Sun Cured and Fire Cured For cigarettes we will only be concerned with the first three. Fire cured is used for pipe tobacco, chew and cigars as it adds flavor as well as converts more sugars to make a sweeter milder tobacco. Air Cured. basically this is just hanging the tobacco in a building and letting it turn yellow then tan then brown if it is going to. I have found most tobacco is easily cured in this manner and it is the easiest to accomplish. Sun Cured, Much like Flue Cured but with some of the ease of Air Cured in that you basically hang the tobacco to yellow and dry but in this case you hang it in the sun for that additional heat. The heat will make more since when I explain flue cure. Flue Cured, This is the method mentioned for curing tobacco specifically for cigarettes. The main idea is to yellow the leaf then dry it as fast as possible. I think this is the main reason most of my tobacco does not make a good cigarette. My tobacco is to mild due to the curing process having been slow. Flue cure is targeted at taking green stalks or leaf and turning them yellow/orange in two to three days and then drying it mid rib and all in another 4 to 5 days. Cigarette tobacco is commonly made of three basic types of tobacco. Burley, this is the main ingredient. Oriental, also called Turkish. and Virginia. I may be wrong in the Virginia distinction. please correct me if that is so. (Edit: with a little more looking around and Bob's psot below. Virgina type is not exactly correct. IT appers to me that a better designation would be Flue Cured.) Burley's, These will be air cured. I would appreciate anyone helping make a list of suggested varieties for this category. So far I believe Monte Calm Yellow, Believed to be another name for TN90, and Yellow Twist Bud are the two varieties of Burley I have grown. Yellow Twist Bud has produced a very mild tobacco being air cured while Monte Calm Yellow has what I can only describe as a nasty taste. That may improve with time. Blending MCY and YTB has produced the most acceptable tobacco I have grown so far. Burley's for the most part are a huge group of tobacco varieties. Flue Cured, Larry, Bigbonner here on the group, has produced a Flue Cured Virgina Bright Leaf that is reported to be a best cigarette tobacco by other members. Orientals, Sun Cured. I am also wondering if they would do well being Flue Cured since sun curing is closely related to Flue curing. In a nut shell it is my thinking that for cigarettes fast yellowing and then drying is more desirable than slower (8 weeks or so) air curing. Burley is an exception I believe because it also tends to be a harsh tobacco that you want to get toned down. Edited: From the link Bob has provided in his post below I am adding this list of varieties under each category.

Burley's
Comstock SpanishBinder
Havana 38Binder
Havana 142Binder
Havana 211Binder
Havana 263Binder
Havana 322Binder
Havana 425Binder
Havana 503bBinder
Havana 608Binder
Havana K-1Binder
Mass CK-1Binder
Wisconsin 901Binder
Wisconsin SeedleafBinder
Burley 21Burley
Golden BurleyBurley
Green BriorBurley
Harrow VelvetBurley
HB04P HybridBurley
Hybrid403Burley
Hybrid404Burley
Hybrid501Burley
Hybrid502Burley
Improved BriorBurley
Kelly BrownleafBurley
Kelly BurleyBurley
KT200 HybridBurley
KT204 HybridBurley
KT206 HybridBurley
KT209 HybridBurley
KT210 HybridBurley
KY10Burley
KY14Burley
KY15Burley
KY17Burley
KY8959Burley
KY907Burley
KY908Burley
KY910 HybridBurley
ms21x10 HybridBurley
msKY14xL8 HybridBurley
msR7-12 HybridBurley
N126Burley
N7371Burley
N777Burley
N88Burley
NBH98 HybridBurley
NC2002Burley
NC3 HybridBurley
NC7 HybridBurley
TN86Burley
TN90Burley
TN97 HybridBurley
VA509Burley
VA510Burley
WarnerBurley
Yellow Twist BudBurley

Flue Cured
401 Cherry RedFlue
Bamboo ShootFlue
C176Flue
C319Flue
C371 GoldFlue
Coker 282Flue
Coker 48Flue
CU 165Flue
CU 1097Flue
Dixie Bright 27Flue
G28Flue
G70Flue
GL737Flue
GL939Flue
GL973Flue
K149Flue
K326 Flue
McNair 135Flue
McNair 373Flue
McNair 944Flue
NC2326Flue
NC79Flue
NC82Flue
NC95Flue
Oxford 207Flue
Oxford 403Flue
Oxford 940Flue
Reams 158Flue
RobertsonFlue
SP172Flue
VA 116Flue
Vesta 64Flue
Virginia Bright LeafFlue
Virginia SmokingFlue
Yellow PryorFlue

Oriental
BafraOriental
BalikesirOriental
CelikhanOriental
ChileanOriental
Izmir-OzbasOriental
MutkiOriental
PeriqueOriental
SamsunOriental
SheraziOriental
Smyrna No 23Oriental
TasouaOriental
I also would appreciate assistance in putting the varieties I am growing this year into their proper categories. Some i know some I don't. of the following list what are burley's what are virginias and what are orientals?
Yellow Twist Bud (Burley)
Monte Calm Yellow (Burley)
Virginia Bright Leaf (Flue Cured)
Bursa (Oriental)
Havana 142
Lonnies Havana
Dark Virginia
Virginia Gold
Gold Seed Burley
14L8/TN86 cross
#9 Virginia
#7 Virginia
Silver River
Costello
African Red
Samsun 15 (Oriental)
Black Sea Samsun
Lizard Tail Orinoco
Perique (Oriental)
Aztec Rustica
Ergo Burley
TN90 (Burley)

Yes I know I have MCY and TN90. I am finding out for myself if they are the same plant. I am also interested in suggestion for the various types as well. My list is subject to change. With the report of flue cured Virginia Bright Leaf for example I am considering increasing the number of them I grow from 100 to 500. growing an equal number of MCY and YTB and making that my main shot at a blend this year. for the oriental in the mix I am growing 100 Bursa. Any and all co9mments on the issue of what varieties and what curing method are welcome. I am on the hunt to nail down some specifics for making cigarette tobacco. So all thoughts, ideas, experiences etc. are welcome.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Daniel,
My impression of Sun-curing is that it depends on the humidity of the environment to prevent the leaf from flash-drying green.

Most so-called "Virginia" tobacco is one of many dozens of varieties of flue-cured tobacco. By that, I mean that it has undergone the flue-curing process. This produces a distinctive, acidic smoke and taste recognizable as "cigarette" taste. The commercial cigarette blend recipes that I have seen use a high proportion of "Virginia" (40 to 60%), a somewhat smaller proportion of Burley, and between 5 and 20% Turkish (often Samsun or Bafra, neither of which has a "perfume" aroma).

As for identifying the class of a particular variety, I've found Doug Moats' Nicotiana Project website to be helpful. There are numerous varieties identified in the separate sections for each class, and his available seed, on the Seed Listing page, arrange most of them by class.

Bob

Daniel

Banned
Bob, Thank you for that source on types of tobacco that fall under various categories. I will edit my original post from that link. I am in hopes that when folks post the common. "What do you recomend for cigarettes" they can be directed to this post as an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.