Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco Seedlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvick003

Topping is not necessary.

If you allow the blossom heads to fully form (as is done traditionally with Orientals), it has the following effects:
  • leaves are smaller
  • leaves are thinner
  • leaves are milder in nicotine
  • leaves are more aromatic
  • leaf maturation occurs more slowly
  • fewer suckers will form in leaf axils
  • it attracts budworms
When you top a plant:
  • it triggers overall leaf maturation
  • leaves grow larger
  • leaves grow thicker
  • leaves grow stronger in nicotine
  • suckers immediately begin to form in leaf axils
Some home growers (including me) top at the base of the main bud stem, keeping all of the leaf. Many commercial growers top lower on the plant (to 14 or 16 or 18 leaves), since tip leaf may not be financially advantageous, and lower topping produces larger leaf on the remainder of the plant.

The earlier you top, the earlier the leaf will mature, and the earlier generalized suckering will start. Like others who have commented here, I usually wait for the bud stalk to elongate, before topping, but you can top at any time--much earlier or much later.

Shade-grown wrapper is often not topped.

Bob

Thanks for this awesome information, Bob. I can't believe how much I am learning from you guys... I wonder if this information proves true for other plants that the leaves are utilized from such as herbs?

dvick003

My seedlings are starting to really take off. Any tips for how to separate/ transplant these little guys so they don't get their roots all tangled?

dvick003

DANG IT!!! I left my 70 plants outside in their trays and was planning on transplanting them in the ground soon. I left them out for a little sun and warm weather the other day. The forecast was calling for clear skies and no rain. Well, a freak storm formed almost directly over the small town I live in and high winds and torrential rain ended my grow this year. Very disappointed...

Smokin Harley

Cigar leaf is primed when it is mature. There will be very little to no yellowing and the leaf is primed before it takes on an extreme rugose texture (alligatoring). Priming can begin just before topping, or nearly coinciding with topping. I prime cigar leaf just as it begins to turn a lighter shade of green, before yellowing takes place beyond the tips. However, Besuki leaf can show an improvement if harvested when showing some yellow.
Cigarette varieties are primed later than cigar varieties. They are primed when ripe, which is past the point of maturity. When the leaf has thickened, taken on a rugose appearance, and yellowing is well under way. Either a mottled yellow/green color or a mostly yellow color.
Ripe tobacco leaf: http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/174-Ripe-tobacco-leaf

Thanks Knuck...I think a lay off is coming soon at work ... I can then immediately start building my kiln .

Status
Not open for further replies.