Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

WLT just arrived, what's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Boy

I have been a pipe smoker for about 5 years and have experimented with blending using precut blending tobacco for various online sellers with decent results. Today I received some whole leaf types with hopes of creating my own Balkan/English style plugs, what do I need to know? I received 1 lb. Latakia, 1 lb. Prelip, 2 lb. Izmir and 1 lb. Bright Virginia, they appears to be pre moistened? Of course I will need to remove the stems from the Bright Virginia but what else should do to preserve and stop mold prior to making my blends?

DonH

A small amount of honey mixed with water and sprayed on the leaves prior to pressing not only tasted good in a pipe but I think it also prevents mold. At least I have had no problem with mold when cellaring fairly moist pressed pipe tobacco from WLT leaves.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Start simple. Try 60% Virginia, 20% Latakia and 20% Izmir. Smoke your first batch. Keep notes and make adjustments to your particular tastes. Personally, I like about 40% Latakia in my blends.

Briar Boy

Start simple. Try 60% Virginia, 20% Latakia and 20% Izmir. Smoke your first batch. Keep notes and make adjustments to your particular tastes. Personally, I like about 40% Latakia in my blends.
Thanks, I need advice on prepping the whole leaf for storage, I went and bought some quart sized mason jars today, can I jar what I just got from WLT at it's present bagged moisture content without it molding? Also should I add the little packets (desiccant?) to the jars?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The leaf should be flexible, but dry (low case). Leaf from WLT usually arrives in a case that can be stored as is, with no risk of mold.

Remove the central vein of several of the same variety of leaf, roll them together into a tight "cigar," then slice the cigar on a cutting board. Once you have a row of coins, slice them in half.

I use a Kuhn Rikon 6" kulu for slicing coins,

KuhnRikon_kulu.JPG

by holding it not by the handle, but by the opposite riser. Slicing as thin as possible with the kulu yields a suitable pipe shred.

You can store the sliced and halved coins in a Mason jar, or take a handful at a time, and rub it out, then store it.

If you store the leaf varieties separately, then you can play with blending. A freezer Ziplock bag will retain sufficient moisture for about 2 weeks, depending on the ambient temp and humidity, so they are perfect for trial blends.

Bob

EDIT: For easy blending trials, just measure the shred quantities with a tablespoon.

Alhefner

If you find portions of the leaf so dry that it breaks when you try to unfold/un-crumple it, you can take purified drinking water (not distilled and no tap water) in a spray bottle to dampen it so that you can work with the leaf. Just set the sprayer to a fine mist and mist the leaf one squirt to a side and let it soak in. Once you can manipulate the leaf without breaking it, go ahead and shred it using any good method, like that one above. Once it's shredded, you want to let it dry out until it sort of dry but won't crumble to dust and flakes for storage.

A moisture test I use is to FIRST take just a pinch of shredded tobacco and rub it between thumb and index finger. If it crumbles to flakes and dust, it's too dry, mist it. If it doesn't crumble, then take a handful of shredded tobacco and ball it up in your fist as tightly and as hard as you can. Set the ball of tobacco down and watch. If it tends to stay balled up, it's too moist, fluff it up and let it dry some. If the ball starts to expand right away and fluff on it's own, it's in about the right shape to store or use.

It's not and exact scientific method but it works for me.

ChinaVoodoo

Thanks, I need advice on prepping the whole leaf for storage, I went and bought some quart sized mason jars today, can I jar what I just got from WLT at it's present bagged moisture content without it molding? Also should I add the little packets (desiccant?) to the jars?

I would keep whole leaf in the vapour proof bags it comes in. That way the larger leaf can stay flat and un tangled.those bags are great. I use really big clips that go completely across the bag to keep them closed. I think they're from ikea.

If you put a location in your information, we could answer the desiccant question better. I would only use it if you lived in a medium to high humidity area.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have used distilled water in my spray bottle for years. I prefer distilled water, because it does not clog the spray nozzle with mineral deposits. It works just fine for humidifying tobacco leaf. The spray bottles are cheap enough (~$1 each). My only caution would be to avoid chlorinated water or any tap water that carries a taste or odor, since that may impart these to the leaf.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.