Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pickled Vegetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

Looks like I'm going have a good crop of cucumbers this year and looking for recipes for pickling
I'm also growing garlic and dill so probably will make some garlic dill pickles but looking for something different.

Also growing bush beans and string beans that i would like to pickle.

Anyone have an interesting ecipes ?

dvick003

Wow, Bob! Thanks for the recipes. I have tried all sorts of things pickled and never met anything I didn't like pickled besides an egg. I don't know what it is but I have a gag reflex for that stuff.

I grew up in Florida eating kumquats all the time from the neighbors yard. I will definitely try out the pickled kumquats recipe...

ArizonaDave

Wow, Bob! Thanks for the recipes. I have tried all sorts of things pickled and never met anything I didn't like pickled besides an egg. I don't know what it is but I have a gag reflex for that stuff.

I grew up in Florida eating kumquats all the time from the neighbors yard. I will definitely try out the pickled kumquats recipe...
Lol, you grew up in Florida eating kumquats too? It's a small, small world.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
If you want to make raw, fermented pickles try this: Quarter a few pickles, place in mason jar. Fill with water till covered. Add 1 tsp of salt. Place lid on and set on the counter (on top of a few paper towels). Twice a day vent the jar by giving the lid a quick twist. This will let the gases escape. After about 4 days place in the fridge, they are ready to eat and will be very crunchy. These are also known as lacto-fermented pickles. They are full of beneficial bacteria.

bonehead

i make fast refridge dill pickles and slow old fashioned delli pickles. they are two different animals. by the way the dill pickle juice goes good with bloody maries.

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
I'm on my POS slow-ass old iPhone or I'd do it myself, but if you google "claussen copycat pickles" and find a page by the "sassy southerner," (I know, I know) it has what you need.

Smokin Harley

Looks like I'm going have a good crop of cucumbers this year and looking for recipes for pickling
I'm also growing garlic and dill so probably will make some garlic dill pickles but looking for something different.

Also growing bush beans and string beans that i would like to pickle.

Anyone have an interesting ecipes ?

I make refrigerator pickles , I dont bother with hot bath since they dont last long after I open them. I usually make up a batch (jar) after I pick. Each amount of ingredient is per one wide mouth quart jar. okra or sliced cucumbers(chips or spears)...pack the bottom of the jar with dill ,toss in a bruised one or two garlic cloves ,8-10 black pepper corns,1/2 tsp mustard seed , fill jars with the vegetable of choice, even carrot or pepper rings .stuff a ring of onion where you can . Mix up a batch of white distilled vinegar and hot water 50/50 add 2 tablespoons of kosher salt per quart of liquid and stir til salt dissolves. Pour over the veggies in the jar to the top , lightly shake to clear any air bubbles, apply clean/boiled lids and lightly apply the ring to lid contact. Leave on the counter until they can be handled and tighten rings. Place in refrigerator way in back and forget about them for a minimum of one month,two is better.

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
I make refrigerator pickles , I dont bother with hot bath since they dont last long after I open them. I usually make up a batch (jar) after I pick. Each amount of ingredient is per one wide mouth quart jar. okra or sliced cucumbers(chips or spears)...pack the bottom of the jar with dill ,toss in a bruised one or two garlic cloves ,8-10 black pepper corns,1/2 tsp mustard seed , fill jars with the vegetable of choice, even carrot or pepper rings .stuff a ring of onion where you can . Mix up a batch of white distilled vinegar and hot water 50/50 add 2 tablespoons of kosher salt per quart of liquid and stir til salt dissolves. Pour over the veggies in the jar to the top , lightly shake to clear any air bubbles, apply clean/boiled lids and lightly apply the ring to lid contact. Leave on the counter until they can be handled and tighten rings. Place in refrigerator way in back and forget about them for a minimum of one month,two is better.

That's basically what I'm talking about too, but you leave them on the counter to ferment for a few days and vent the jars every day (4 days) before you fridge them.

squeezyjohn

That's 2 very distinct ways of pickling. In the old-school fermentation pickling you pack the vegetables with salt and pickling spices so they make their own juice that the salt extracts from them and then let them bubble away until the micro-organisms have preserved them with lactic acid they make. This is the traditional way of making cucumber pickles, kimchi and sauerkraut. Google for lacto-fermented pickles.

But there's also the more modern pickling where you salt the vegetables to get some of the juice out and then throw that away and replace it with vinegar and spices - this way is much cleaner and less prone to going wrong but ends up with a much sharper tasting pickle. I think with refrigerator pickles you add a mixture of vinegar, water, sugar, salt and spices to the cucumbers in a single mixture and refrigerate ... refrigerator pickles are not designed for long-term storage ... it's more a way of getting the taste of pickle more quickly rather than preservation.

I've tried pickling beans before without much success ... they end up quite tough and don't take up the juice very well. Not as bad as my attempt at zucchini lacto-fermented pickles though ... they went wrong in the most disgusting way ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.