Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Anyone have any pellet seeds? Any spare Turkish seeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrthing2000

I'm new to the hobby and have a tough time getting decent germination rates, and it is really hard not to plant 20 seeds in the same place. I figure pellet seeds may help that. Anyone have a few spares?

My Turkish attempts fizzled. I think these are Turkish anyway--Yellow Orinoco and Lizard Tail had virtually no germination from them. I got very few and they damped off. The next attempt I got no sprouts, though the Virginia Gold did very well.

I'm guessing I might have gotten some old seeds. But I'd like to try a few pellet ones to see if they are worth the cost. Cross Creek Seed Co sells them for $35 or so for 10,000 seeds. That's a lot of dang seeds. I'd like to try maybe 5-10 to see how they hold up. I that goes well I may order a batch from them and split them up for ya'll.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
It's way too late to start seeds in the northern hemisphere. I'd suggest trying to germinate seeds until you succeed and then you'll be ready to buy seedlings from BigBonner next Spring.

mrthing2000

Thanks--we've had some crazy weather (100deg days) which is unheard of. Plants are really struggling in the heat and I've had to restart it twice. A few survivors are doing well. I'm building a greenhouse so hopefully I can go into mid-November which is usually about the first frost--but last year it didn't frost until mid-December. So hopefully I can get things going strong.

I started a couple of hydro plants just to see how they take off--sort of like a float try thing. If I can get them happy then hopefully they can play catch-up and hit the ground. I may keep 1-2 of them for indoor hydro just to see what will happen.

Thanks!

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I think I have a few Dark-air ones laying.. But I like really seed alot more.. Don't think they make it more than the other..

Knucklehead

Founding Member
What method are you using to start your seed? Which soil, how do you water, pots or trays, germination mats or no, what light source?
Yellow Orinoko and Lizard Tail are definitely not Orientals. I think they are both flue cure varieties.
Welcome to FTT.

mrthing2000

What method are you using to start your seed? Which soil, how do you water, pots or trays, germination mats or no, what light source?
Yellow Orinoko and Lizard Tail are definitely not Orientals. I think they are both flue cure varieties.
Welcome to FTT.

Thanks--glad to find a forum that actually has active members AND useful help. This is a really great resource!

So far I've tried a couple of things--peat moss, potting soil, soilless mix, etc., and thrown the seeds on top. My early attempts failed hard. Right now I'm using potting soil with a clear humidity lid with 24 hour fluorescent lights, 3x 6500K and 1 3200K. I slide the lid off a few hours a day without taking it off fully. This seems to have produced the best germination success so far. I'm going to get some soilless mix soon and try that too.

I'm trying a hydroponic start for it also. I've done quite a bit of hydro with tomatoes and basil and had decent success. I have a ton of the nutrients left over. I've been using those nutes along with a myco tea (for beneficial fungus). I took some advice and started bottom-watering them in the cells--that really helped. I wasn't sure how hard to pack the soil down though. Too hard and it impeded the roots a bit. Too light and it didn't do the capillary uptake and hit the seedlings. Outside I water with a bottle.

Levi Gross

U.S. National Germ Plasm Repository. Set up profile, account. Order !!! ALL FREE FOR RESEARCH USE. I just ordered 9 strains one being from Turkey.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Please don't fraudulently order seed from GRIN. In the recent past, such orders (nearly all for varieties readily available at low cost from seed vendors) have caused GRIN to close the seed bank to everyone.

Bob

Levi Gross

I to am very disappointed that we can no longer order from grin. I have about 10 different strains of seed that I ordered from there in 2010. Two years ago the seeds germinated. This year I am not sure. I'm still trying. Also having a hard time finding the seed I want.

Levi Gross

In 2010 I was allowed to order from grin using a normal profile and account. According to the E-mail I recieved this year that is no longer possible as grin is under new leadership and I am not an certified research. This is a bummer and I apologize for giving you a bad lead on seeds. I am fairly new to this also.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
In 2010 I was allowed to order from grin using a normal profile and account. According to the E-mail I recieved this year that is no longer possible as grin is under new leadership and I am not an certified research. This is a bummer and I apologize for giving you a bad lead on seeds. I am fairly new to this also.
Levi Gross: Tell us what you are looking for, we grow alot of variants in the form so perhaps you can find it/them here..

Levi Gross

Well I was browsing through grin at their N.Rustica selection and other strains with 30-50% nicotine content. I am interested in learning exactly what strains they are where they are from and if they are naturlly this strong or have been mollested by big growers or companies. Antique and heirlooms varieties is what I want for snuff and cigars maybe some cigarette???

Status
Not open for further replies.