Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

My homemade compost tumbler

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasta979

Compost_tumbler.jpgtumbler_on_stand.jpg

I stole the basic idea from a fella on another board, modified it a bit, and shes working great. Cost 40 dollars total.

It does warp a bit at the door. And the other gent who orginally made this says the wheels will start "grooving" the plastic after a bit. My solution to this is to allow a bit of walking when you turn it. Keep the weight moving side to side just a bit and I have yet to have issue.

You could use a steel drum as well. All in what you can work. no matter what it will be cheaper than the store bought ones.

This not only give you fresh free compost but also enables compost tea...the most under rated amendment/additive out there.

Cheers!

Ross

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive never composted anything,,,, i got chickens,, they eat the left-over vegaetable matter,

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I use red worms there a unique specie that turns rotted material (including manure)into a high enzyme rich composted
non burning soil enhancement.

PS:Red Worms are too small to use for fish hooks unless you stab them in the side.

Daniel

Banned
dkh, I got some worms a week ago. What is the best thing to feed them? I have just been adding stuff straight from the kitchen. some dried leaves some compost from my compost pile etc. THey do not seem to be goign after the fresh stuff to well. Anything I should get them started with?

Tman

Ross that tumbler looks great , I'm going to build one myself out of a 55gal plastic drum. How long does it take for your filler to compost in your composter.

Tman

dkh how long does it take your red worms to break down the food you give them, compaired to a composter. Both haveing the same amount of food/filler.

Fisherman

ive never composted anything,,,, i got chickens,, they eat the left-over vegaetable matter,

Check out the youtube videos for an automatic chicken feeder that you add your manure to and it feeds your fowl later at no cost and automaticcally... It will be under black soldier fly search. You would be able to gert compost from your droppings and feed your fowl free too.

Put a tray under your roosts in hen house that funnels into the barrel and set the fly bin nest to it and give the roost tray a quick cleanin once in a while and you got auto system :)
http://gardenpool.org/beneficial-insects/black-soldier-fly-composter-automatic-chicken-feeder

Fisherman

This not only give you fresh free compost but also enables compost tea...the most under rated amendment/additive out there. Cheers! Ross[/QUOTE said:
Look into lactobasillis production for your plants MAYBE...... it seems that soil amending is not really prioritized highly and that the reason most soil additives work is it brings soil organizms into more abundance while most of us are only thinking it increases fertilizer amount. Youtube has a few recipes that show how to use rice water and milk to make what appears to be a magicall brew both for plants and animals.

Fisherman

dkh, I got some worms a week ago. What is the best thing to feed them? I have just been adding stuff straight from the kitchen. some dried leaves some compost from my compost pile etc. THey do not seem to be goign after the fresh stuff to well. Anything I should get them started with?

try this out for speed

Status
Not open for further replies.