Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Electric Smokers

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie G.

So far I've done a rack of pork ribs then some beef ribs and also this past weekend a butterflied Chicken. All came out great.
Kullas I have used 2 rubs so far, the first is "Smokin Guns BBQ" rub I used that on the ribs and on the chicken I used Killer hogs, "The BBQ Rub"
The Killer Hogs is less hot then the Smokin Guns so that's why I used it on the chicken. I really like both of those rubs alot.
I hope to try a brisket real soon as I like beef more then pork.
Now that I have started I think I will be doing ribs most often.

bonehead

if you want to try something beef that takes a while but is not much work try making a old fashioned smoked pastrami. the only hard part is waiting till it is done then putting it in the refridge for at least one day before you slice it and make the best pastrami sammys you ever had. if you like bacon honey or maple cured is the best. if you don't like bacon you probably ate store bought bacon that is not real bacon. you said you don't like pork much but if you want to try something called spinkenspeck (a type of meat like bacon-ham) that is a little more work but you probably will be pleased. i make a lot of old world foods that you can't find it the usa but are still available in england.

kullas

A good rub makes a lot of difference. I got tired of buying rubs so I started making my own and like it a lot better. I have on for chicken and pork. The one for pork goes good on a lot of things. If ya you'd like the recipe I would be happy to pass it along

charlie G.

Please do pass it on to us Kullas. I haven't tried making my own rubs yet but in time I believe I will.

I'd love to try home made pastrami also DGBAMA.

kullas

Here it is. I cant remember where i got it but i have used it for about 2 years now and i still like it. as with all spice recipes ya can add more of one thing or less of another depending on your taste.
1/4 cup salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbls oregano
2 tbls cayenne pepper
2 tbls tyme
2 tbls paprika
2 tbls black pepper
2 tbls cumin
2 tbls onion powder
2 tbls garlic powder
1 tbls celery seed
optional curry powder 1tbls

kullas

The one i just posted is the pork rub
here is the chicken rib i like to spatchcock my chicken for the smoker
spatchcock is cutting it down the breast and laying it flat
4 tbls smoked paprika
4 tbls brown sugar
1 tbls garlic powder
1 tbls chili powder
1 tbls smoked salt
1 tbls onion powder
1 tbls dry mustard
1 tbls thyme
1 tbls ground pepper
1 tbls coriander
1/2 tbls cumin
1 tbls sage
1/2 tbls rosemary
1/4 tbls cinamon
1/2 tsp ground clove
1/4 tsp cayene pepper

kullas

if you are into injection for pork
1 cup apple juce
1 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup salt
1 tbls soy sauce
1 tbls worcestershire

kullas

here is a mop recipe for ribs i just mop this on ever so often when there cooking
16 oz veg oil
16 oz cider vinegar
32 oz water
1 cup of dry rub
2 tbls soy sauce
2 tbls worcestershire sauce

kullas

I have a recipee for a finishing sauce i just got to find it. i use it in place of bbq sauce on pulled pork

charlie G.

Thanks for all the info Kullas.
I just picked up a chuck roast I'm going to give a try smoking this weekend. Also I found a recipe for homemade pastrami using a prebrined corned beef.
I'm going to give that recipe a try also.

kullas

Mmmm pastrami. Key to pastrami is the brine. Sounds good would be nice to see how it turns out.

charlie G.

Bob, Corned Beef is brined then boiled. Then served warm or chilled.
Pastrami is brined, then a peppery spice rub is applied and it marinates for a day or two, then "smoked" for hours. After smoking, pastrami is steamed to help tenderize the meat further, or to serve it warm.
Both can be served either chilled or warm. No matter how you serve them chilled or warm they both are delicious.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
No matter how you serve them chilled or warm they both are delicious.
I appreciate the responses. I'm an expert at the eating part of the equation.

So...both are pickled beef: corned beef is apparently de-brined by boiling, whereas pastrami is left with its brine, and subsequently further spiced then smoked--giving it that outer edge of black.

Cows are so versatile!

Bob

Smokin Harley

I'll tell ya something . Since I built this kiln and operating it with the digital controller. Next time I get around to it I may buy another digital controller and hook up an extension cord to it and try running my electric smoker with it... Maintains a nice temperature . Most time my smoker heat is all over the place. Wondering why no one (manufacturer)has done it yet.

charlie G.

Bonehead I have to thank you for recommending home made Pastrami. I finished it today and had a sandwich of it with a little mustard on a sesame seed roll tonight. Damn it's one of those meals you just want to go back for seconds and thirds of. I did fight the urge tho, just one.
It is a good bit of work but well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.