Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Lemon vs. Bright Virginia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Boy

I haven't had a chance to experiment on my own but thought maybe someone could give some quick insight, want is the difference in the flavor profiles of the two?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The Lemon Virginia tends to be a hint more acidic than the standard Bright Virginia. In a Balkan style blend, for example, I can't really taste the difference between using straight Lemon vs. Lemon plus standard.

Using the recipes in my blending matrix [http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3926-Pure-Tobacco-Pipe-Blends-You-Can-Make/page5#48], substituting all Lemon for the combination of Lemon plus Red VA worked very well with one added part of Perique (out of a total of 17 parts).

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im growing both.. allthough ive never tried the lemon... its a beast of a plant when growing.

if i like it. next year ill grow a lot of them.. a real massive producer

i think BOBORO would be a good person to ask the question to,

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
The Lemon Virginia tends to be a hint more acidic than the standard Bright Virginia. In a Balkan style blend, for example, I can't really taste the difference between using straight Lemon vs. Lemon plus standard.

Using the recipes in my blending matrix [http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3926-Pure-Tobacco-Pipe-Blends-You-Can-Make/page5#48], substituting all Lemon for the combination of Lemon plus Red VA worked very well with one added part of Perique (out of a total of 17 parts).

Bob
Helpful as always Bob, thanks

im growing both.. allthough ive never tried the lemon... its a beast of a plant when growing.

if i like it. next year ill grow a lot of them.. a real massive producer

i think BOBORO would be a good person to ask the question to,
Maybe something to test grow in The future then..

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Lemon Virginia available in the market is a flue-curing method that can be applied to many different flue-cure crops. The timing cycle of the flue-curing (as well as the stalk position) determines the color and other characteristics.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Lemon Virginia available in the market is a flue-curing method that can be applied to many different flue-cure crops. The timing cycle of the flue-curing (as well as the stalk position) determines the color and other characteristics.

Bob
Yes just wat I was thinking..
But Bob do you known if Coker varieties are better for this than most other FC variants?

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I don't know.

Bob
Ok Bob I guess that it wasn't you ho told me last year that I should keep my yellow coloured leaf and test em..
If I don't miss mind the word "Hi my friend wat sort of Coker have you there? I also grow Coker (and a number that I don't remember)".. The man was also say that that was just the thing with Coker varieties, they make easy and nice yellow leaf that is really good in mixes..

I can tell that I like it but not more than lats say 10% of oral-snuff mixes.. But my Coker wasn't Coker it was Woods..

thomnas

Hello all! Coming from pipesmagazine forums.

I've just purchased some of flue cured lemon virginia (http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Flue-Cured-Virginia-Lemon-1FCV3.htm).

Is lemon virginia very sour to the tongue when smoked? I'm looking to add that characteristic to a blend i've created that I really enjoy.

P.s. does anyone with experience with that retailer know the quantity of tobacco that the stated price is for?

Thanks!

bonehead

I've just purchased some of flue cured lemon virginia (http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Flue-Cured-Virginia-Lemon-1FCV3.htm).

Is lemon virginia very sour to the tongue when smoked? I'm looking to add that characteristic to a blend i've created that I really enjoy.

P.s. does anyone with experience with that retailer know the quantity of tobacco that the stated price is for?

Thanks!
i always get high quality tobacco from that site. it is the best tobacco available.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:

thomnas

Welcome to the forum. The posted price on the Lemon Virginia is per pound.

The Lemon is ideal for adding a "sour" taste to a pipe blend.

The blending matrix in this post [ http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3926-Pure-Tobacco-Pipe-Blends-You-Can-Make/page5#48 ] may be fun for you. The entire thread includes dozens of blending recipes.

Bob

Is the flue-cured lemon VA the most sour/tart tobacco there is? the izmir takes care of the sour note I am looking for on the retrohale, but I am especially looking for a sour mouth taste and feel. Is lemon VA the most acidic and that is why it's very sour?

Thanks!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have not smoked every tobacco there is. The sense of sour on the tongue results from low pH. To my taste, it seems more sour than flue-cured tobacco that is not as bright.

Bob

Briar Boy

Thanks!
I recently purchased several types, and was quite please with everything.

LewZephyr

Pardon, this may be a little off track, but this thread brought it to my mind.

I tried some new tobacco the other day and not sure I if I liked it or not. Was the McClelland Drama Reserve. This is a Oriental / Turkish, Virginia blend.
Reading through this thread, brought it to my mind what I was detecting was the sour.
Way different than anything I have had previously. Most have hit on the English or Aromatic.

It made me think of the flavor I get from an iced tea, with a not so fresh lemon in it (you know the ones the restaurant has had around for a few days).

Just a little segue from me, but remotely on topic. (it did have Virginia in it).

Anyone else had this blend and can validate what I am feeling?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
McClelland pipe tobaccos, when first opened, always smell to me like ketchup. I believe that they routinely include vinegar in their casings (along with the polypropylene glycol and any other anti-fungal). Several years ago, they introduced two Yenidje blends, both of which also had that initial ketchup smell. Fortunately, it tends to dissipate.

Bob

LewZephyr

As always, thank you for that insight Bob.

I popped the tin but put it in a ball jar, so I may need to leave it open for a little bit.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.