Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ecuadorian binder

Status
Not open for further replies.

waikikigun

So I notice that the manifest for a lot of my fave smokes includes an "Ecuadorian binder."

When I think Ecuador I think CT shade or Sumatra something-or-other. I kind of blank out on what seed/provenance/priming etc is happening when I read Ecuadorian binder.

Anyone got any insight they'd be willing to share? Is it like our "Sumatra binder"?

Thank you.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
As with the discussion on "Green River" tobacco, the practice of naming a tobacco only by its geographic origin makes it nearly impossible to identify specific genetic varieties. Ecuador Shade and Ecuador Sumatra both produce suitable binder leaves, but so do many other varieties.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Don's Maduro wrapper is also from Ecuador. No thoughts of CT Shade or Sumatra come to mind when smoking the Maduro. The half leaves that don't make good wrapper do make wonderful binders. It's my favorite wrapper leaf.

waikikigun

Okay, thanks. No ideas on whether there is some typical "Ecuador" binder in terms of seed, sun-exposure, priming?

I guess I should just open up a few of these prized sticks and see what the binders look like....

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Okay, thanks. No ideas on whether there is some typical "Ecuador" binder in terms of seed, sun-exposure, priming?

I guess I should just open up a few of these prized sticks and see what the binders look like....

It could be anything grown in Ecuador that had too many holes to grade out as wrapper quality.

ArizonaDave

Don's Maduro wrapper is also from Ecuador. No thoughts of CT Shade or Sumatra come to mind when smoking the Maduro. The half leaves that don't make good wrapper do make wonderful binders. It's my favorite wrapper leaf.

If I get a real big leaf, ( ½ leaf), I'll cut it longways. Use the veiny part for binder, and the outer part for wrapper. I really like the Ecuador Maduro for binder or wrapper.

waikikigun

I will have to check that maduro out when I get some spare ducats. You have to be pretty sure when you blow $45 on 100 leafs that it's gonna be something you really love. That's like a year's worth of wrapper....

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The only thing you have to be careful of with the Maduro is ordering it before it runs out. In October, you'll be able to demand a premium for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.