Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Smokin' Harleys Plywood Kiln build

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Your controller is apparently a different one than I have. You'll have to consult the documentation, or contact the vendor to clarify the settings.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Bob, I think I got it figured out . After posting that about the codes and such I was able to "scroll" through it and set a few values...most of the values available don't have much to do with this application,so I left them at the default settings.
Heres what I set to what (for future reference to anyone who buys one of these controllers , seems theres more than one model since you and I have slightly differing units. )
HA - C
CP - 2
LA - -58
HA - 127
PU - 2
CA - 0

Crockpot set on HIGH still.

I set the HA originally to 125 but it was only maintaining at 121 , so I bumped it up to 127*F and it maintains 123* so thats where its staying. I made sure to write down these values and I made sure to watch it for a few hours after and just about dinner time it was back up to 123 with the HEAT light lit on the upper left of the display.
I wasn't able to notice the cycle time on and off but both last night at bedtime and this morning it was still maintaining 123* . I think its dialed in.

I need to ask you or anyone with one of these controllers- IF the power was to go out whether its a flash or straight up power loss of say an hour ,will this controller keep a setting memory or will I have to reenter the values once power is restored?
I'm very pleased with how this is working . Can't wait to load it up and kiln some leaf.

Smokin Harley

Correction...
HC (not HA) set at H
HA set at 128 ( I just bumped it to get a scoche higher to hopefully a 125*F constant.)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My controller has non-volatile memory. The power has gone off for 36 hours following a storm. When it came back on, the controller had retained all its settings.

If a Crockpot on "high" is barely keeping up the set temp, you may need to improve the seal, or add insulation. The temp stability is usually better with water in the Crockpot.

To add water, I've gotten in the habit of unplugging the Crockpot in the morning (5 days after the last refill), then adding hot tap water 4 to 6 hours later. Then I plug the controller back in. As a measure of seal, my 2 quart Crockpot is filled with 1.5 quarts of water once every 5 days, and on filling day, the Crockpot is usually dry, but the leaf within the kiln is still in case. My little Crockpot is always set on "low."

Bob

Smokin Harley

well, Im not saying its not keeping up . I think the seal is fine ,the door closes with resistance. I installed 3 more draw hasps to the top to suck in the door . I ran my hand around and felt a tiny bit but that was at the far upper corner on the hinge side and was minimal. Only thing I may do is put a layer of the aluminum tape on the raw edges of the foam . I think the settings on the controller and the slewing is what I had to adjust...I bumped the HA up to 129 and an hour later when I got back from my errands this morning the temp on display was a steady 125*F,with the heat light off . As of right now , thats without water. I'm leaving it as is. Going to watch it today and try to watch how often and how long the heat light comes on and off.

Good to know the controller has a memory in case the power goes off or when I need to turn it off.

Smokin Harley

ok so final heat setting (HA) is set at 129*F... I crept up on it but it maintains a peak 125*F (cycle drops down to 122*then kicks back on) all day long .
Think I may open it up this morning, toss in a few mudlugs that I have crispy dried and see how they do for a week in there. I'd rather use those than good leaf. Experimenting never ends.

DGBAMA

any idea what the humidity is doing yet?

I use a cheap "weather station", and put the outdoor sensor inside my kiln. tracks temp and humidity. Also it remembers the peak highs and lows for both, so you can check what it did while you were gone.

knowing humidity is important if you dont want to open regularly and feel the leaf. it can be hard to maintain 65-70% at 125 degrees. knowing what it is doing will help you decide how to load the kiln and also indicate an empty crock pot by falling RH levels.

http://www.kmart.com/digital-wthr-fcastr-humidity-moon-pha/p-005W006692263001P?sid=KDx01192011x000001&pla&kpid=005W006692263001&kispla=005W006692263001P&kpid=005W006692263001

Smokin Harley

Hey DGBAMA, thats exactly what I've been looking for...same reason too. I might have even had one in my hand at Menards but wasnt sure if itd work so I put it back. I wasn't sure if the sustained 125* would melt parts of it . Ok, I guess now I need to make a Menards run ...again.

DGBAMA

Hey DGBAMA, thats exactly what I've been looking for...same reason too. I might have even had one in my hand at Menards but wasnt sure if itd work so I put it back. I wasn't sure if the sustained 125* would melt parts of it . Ok, I guess now I need to make a Menards run ...again.

I have had mine to 160 flue curing without harmful effect. My sensor unit is a little melted now, my fault, I was using it to test crockpot and new temp controller and let it get too high, like 185 (it was inside the crock). Housing is now ugly but still works.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Data is always comforting. I certainly appreciated having a hygrometer in my first kiln. (An Accurite that was functionally rated to ~150ºF) Despite never being over about 130ºF in the kiln, the hygrometer ceased to function after about 10 to 12 months of use. By that point, I realized that I didn't really need it. The upper humidity limit is the point at which you get too much condensation within the kiln. The lower humidity limit is crispy dry leaf. If it cycles between these two, the kilning process is working just fine.

If there is significant condensation inside the kiln:
  • the Crockpot is working overtime to maintain the heat
    --->improve insulation of the box
  • the Crockpot power setting is too high
    -->switch setting from high to low
If the leaf does not come into case, while temp is good:
  • there is not adequate water in the Crockpot
    -->increase the quantity of water added to the Crockpot
    -->increase the frequency of replenishing the water
  • the box seal is inadequate
    -->improve the seal of the box
  • the insulation is inadequate AND the seal is insufficient (requires too many watts to maintain temp)
    -->improve the insulation and the seal
If it looks like too little moisture and too much moisture may both be indications of poor seal and/or inadequate insulation, that turns out to be the case. A well insulated and well sealed kiln will require less heating to maintain the temp, and as a result, the Crockpot will end up evaporating less water. A fan also improves the stability of both temp and humidity, and reduces power consumption and cycling.

To start off, improve the seal and insulation so that an empty kiln can maintain a stable temp on "Low". Fill the Crockpot nearly full, then check it daily, to determine how many days it requires to run dry. Check for condensation inside and outside the kiln. Now add leaf, and repeat the daily inspection. After a couple of weeks, you will have an excellent schedule for kilning, so that you add water when the Crockpot has run dry, but the leaf is still in case.

OR, you can install a hygrometer, and end up doing the same things.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Thanks Bob, as always you have a thorough informative. I think what I might do just to SEE the numbers is go buy a unit since theyre not all that pricey. At least then while I'm looking at actual real time numbers I can also see what the physical condition is and have a base reference point for next season...i.e experience.

Kinda like as a kid opening the refrigerator real quick to see if the light is really on or off. You kinda know whats going on , but its nice to see it in another point of view.

Smokin Harley

Good afternoon brothers...this morning was intended as my settle down and relax after vacation but its also a get the kiln finally sealed better and install the "convection" fans .. The fans I salvaged from a remodeling job were for keeping computer components cool.. I have 4 mini low voltage fans which I wired together and run them via ac/dc adaptor . I had to add a small segment of wires to them so I could spread them out on the ends of the wire shelves inside the kiln. I have them facing blowing down . This way the hot humid air rises to the probe in the top center of the kiln over the crockpot and the fans circulate the air back down. The theory is to keep the air moving so as to equalize the temperature inside so theres no dead spots or hot spots...swirling as it may be. The adaptor is plugged into the same outlet on the drop cord as the crockpot so when the heat is on , so are the fans. I may decide to just plug it in as constant on but I'll test this batch and see how things turn out.
I also added a seal of the aluminum tape to the raw edges of the foil faced foam . I only placed the edge of the tape about a 1/4" on the foam ,gave it a gentle direction then let the door closing determine where it was tight. then open the door back up and seal the other edge to the plywood. So far so good. Before I had a small air leak on the top of the door by the hinge side and that seems to be totally gone.
I added water to the crockpot and plugged in the adaptor ...heat is on , fans are on and gently blowing... I got so excited that it is working and I loaded the top shelf of the kiln with a batch of dry brown crispy leaf. Now I wait and check in 24 hours (noon tomorrow) to see where my water level is. I'll try to remember to take a pic at that time. ...then try to figure out what my rate of refilling will be.
I can't wait to see (and smell :rolleyes:) what the next month of kilning will reward me with.
I guess I could even cross post this to my kiln curing thread.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In my kiln, the Crockpot remains off for about 1/2 of the time, though its ceramic is certainly giving off heat all the time. I would suggest non-stop fans.

Bob

Smokin Harley

This morning went to refill the crockpot and discovered I have instead a Crackedpot. Water just ran through the heat jacket. So, adding to my list of to-do's today as soon as the thrift store opens I need to buy another one. I think I'm buying a bigger one this time too since my kiln is at least twice the size of the ones some other guys have built.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When it's time for me to refill the Crockpot in my kiln, I unplug it, then wait for the chamber temp to fall below 100ºF, which usually takes hours. (I unplug the Crockpot first thing in the morning, and can usually refill it around noon.) I refill the Crockpot with the hottest tap water I can get. This eliminates the risk of a thermal shock cracking the ceramic, and it also reduces the time to reheat the chamber.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Thanks Bob, I'd been putting hot water in it but apparently not hot enough . I know better now. Glad Im just getting thrift store pots ...only $8-10

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
On "Black Friday" each year (right after Thanksgiving), I go Crockpot shopping at Walmart. One year, I was able to purchase 4 Crockpots (2 quart size) for $3.94 each. I've even used one for cooking food.

Bob

Smokin Harley

Nice score Bob... Yeah I went to my favorite thrift /resale shop. Got a nice 4 qt Proctor Silex for only $12...new in box , never opened. Got home and compared it to the first crockpot. This one is 1 qt bigger and 50 more watts (200 watt) . If I ever have to replace this one ,I'm going either find an aluminum or steel pot that fits inside or go right to a turkey roaster with a ceramic coated steel pan.
I'm not about to use the wifes stuff. I like eating hot food inside the house too much.

Do you think I could double duty this rig as a cavendish batch in the same crockpot while I kiln/speed age the other color cured tobacco or is that too much steam to kiln?

Smokin Harley

I use Brent's Ziplock tote method in my kiln and can stack up to eight boxes in it if nessacery.
Simple and cost less than Marl---s.

Ziplock totes??...I like the sound of that idea..where are those found? Gasketed ? Is the plastic grade heat proof ?

Status
Not open for further replies.