Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Black Mamoth... Maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kullas

Last winter i wanted to get my feet wet growing baccy so i ordered some Va gold seed not knowing what to order. i got them started and in the ground and are growing great. Then i found this forum (what a great forum) and started learning a lot by reading the posts. Im wanting to hit around 200 to 250 plants next year. I am wanting to mostly go the way of chew and dip but may roll a couple of sticks to puff on. after looking at several different tobaccos Black Mammoth kinds sounded like it would fit the bill. does this sound like im on the right track or is there a better tobacco out there?

Smokin Harley

seed is cheap. Many FTT members as well as a few seed companies have seed to offer . I like the Cuban and south American origin leaf seed myself but I try to experiment with an open mind.
Try Little Dutch ,nice compact plant with long thin leaves .
I had good luck so far growing Vuelta Abajo and Criollo ,PA Red and Madole as well as Va Gold and Black Mammoth. Not sure if the first ones I listed would make good chew or dip .
FmGrowIt has posted a list of all the varieties the seed bank has to offer and lists their intended use. I'm sure there are many more for chew aka "drinking tobacco"

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I agree..you just got to experiment with different types of plants..I know chewing bacca is made out of burley..but that's a commercial chew.

You being a homegrower..and making home-made chew.you have the opportunity to venture away from the commercial type of chew..perhaps blend different types of bacca for a more distinct taste.

Who knows??you may find a plant that's "" best suited for a cigar""...but you may find that for your chewing bacca..that cigar variety is perfect..

There is so many blends you can make....its mind boggling.

But I'd like to see you make a chewing bacca and snuff ingredients thread when you do it..

We don't have many threads discussing the process.of making it.and I wouldn't mind making myself a little chaw.

kullas

The recipe I will be using is one I found on here from workhorse_01. But I will make a post of it. I'm not totally set on BM. Me being new to the growing hobby I just don't want to start out with something that is totally unfit for what I'm wanting to do. In burley is there a is there one that is better than the other or that is more popular with the chewing crowd?

kullas

Thanks Harley for the info I will check out the seed bank list for more info

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
I've been to workhorse's house a couple of times...he popped the lid on his snuff can to show me what he made..it looked exactly like Copenhagen looks like...he offered me some..but I don't dip snuff no more..so I declined..looking back I wish I'd have tried it just to see what it was like..

I'm sure if you do his recipe..you'll turn out having a good product.he spoke highly of his creation...

He don't post no more..but I did text him 2 weeks ago.

kullas

Im going to give it a go this year with the Va gold i got planted well along with a small batch of chew

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
You know..it really.wouldn't take a large amount of bacca to do a batch.
I'm sure if you document it real good..

That if you asked..I'm sure some members would.donate ( send you some leaf ) I'd be happy.to send you some leaves.from every strain I got..

And if 10 members sent you 5 different strains or more.( I'd send at least 6-10 strains ) you'd have a little of.a lot of strains..

Although Workhorse did post a.recipe. he didn't post enough to perfect it.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member

That if you asked..I'm sure some members would.donate ( send you some leaf ) I'd be happy.to send you some leaves.from every strain I got..

And if 10 members sent you 5 different strains or more.( I'd send at least 6-10 strains ) you'd have a little of.a lot of strains..

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I usually make my dip in about 6 oz batches until I find a recipe I like then I increase the quantity. So far the wintergreen flavored and black licorice flavored are my absolute favorites so that's all I make now.. OK, every once in awhile I make a batch of apple cinnamon.... but that's it.

kullas

If you wanted to send a couple leafs purely for academic purposes of course i would not turn them down. jump in with both feet. Its that im a new member and i dont want to come off as a beggar of baccy.

kullas

I usually make my dip in about 6 oz batches until I find a recipe I like then I increase the quantity. So far the wintergreen flavored and black licorice flavored are my absolute favorites so that's all I make now.. OK, every once in awhile I make a batch of apple cinnamon.... but that's it.

The licorice sounds good but im not much of a wintergreen type of guy. im more of a cope fine cut or huskey type of guy not to sweet. sometimes i do like sweet then i grab the plug. 6oz at a time sounds good. as soon as mine is ripe and cured i will be starting my journey. Its almost like waiting for christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.