Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Smokin Harley Kiln leaf curing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin Harley

Fun- usually, but this is a bit puzzling and frustrating. It was rolling along nicely until I added water and then for some unknown reason it just quit heating to where it was set for the last month or so. ... Somehow ,and this is the really strange part...the digital controllers set points had changed. I dont have any more experience with this particular type of controller other than this one and I've ran it at about the same temps since I got it. Not sure if the power blinked or sun spots or aliens came down and gave it the old whammy . I've been futzing with it the last few hours . Through varied attempts , I have gotten it to heat again. A half hour ago I looked and it had displayed 130* and the heat indicator light was off so the residual heat rose(without the fans on)so I adjusted the peak heat down to 127*and opened the door to let a little heat out. Once closed back up ,the temperature decreased and the display read 118* when the heat light indicator lit again and the hum of the fans tell me the crock was back in heat mode...
I just ran out to look at the display. Its reading 124* and the heat indicator is lit. I'll keep an eye on it tonight and see where it finally cuts off then I wont worry and go to bed.
Just one more look since my writing this and the temp is now reading 128* and the heat indicator is now off. so sometime in the last couple minutes it reached its peak temp . Breathing a sigh of relief. I think now it was the controller settings and not the crockpot , so in that whole time I at least upgraded the wattage and capacity of the crockpot .
These controllers are cheap and do a nice job . I just wish there were better written instructions on setting the parameters.
I don't speak electrician or HVAC but I sure dont speak either one of those translated from Chinese.

Smokin Harley

kiln system check this morning...working well at 123* with the heat indicator light on. There are so many settings on this little controller that is beyond what the directions say. Hard to figure out exactly what I did ,but I got it.

AmaxB

AmaxB, I've had it going since I got home an hour ago and put it all in service. Now, I think its not the crockpot but something to do with the digital controller, since it shuts off at a lower temp. I've been fiddling with it and the power light shows it is in heat mode but I'm watching the temp hoping it gets back up to optimal range. It keeps shutting the heat (light) off around 102*F . Not sure whats going on . The directions aren't exactly written correctly ,I think it has some really bad Chinese to English translation as well. Some of the wording makes little sense but I'm trying to decipher it.

I have one of those china things within a week it was acting up, now it lives in a drawer with a bunch of drill bits that need sharpening.

AmaxB

Be sure your sensor connections are tight or maybe try a new one. They can cause a PID controller to act nuts. I have one that cost a few bucks it was bought to operate a reflow station to do circuit board work. It now runs my kiln and when this property sells the kiln will stay, but that controller will be going with me for the new kiln.

I think your sand idea is pretty slick, I can see how that could work, and see no problem with a sensor in the sand.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My China-made digital controller (different brand) apparently has non-volatile memory, since it does not lose or alter its settings when the power goes out. Its instructions were terse, but in mostly valid English. I do worry that a power surge might affect it. I assume that the very low cost of these controllers is partly the result of minimal quality control and testing.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
when the heat light indicator lit again and the hum of the fans tell me the crock was back in heat mode...

My crock pot is off a lot longer than it is on. If you are only running your fans when the crock pot is on, you will only have even distribution of heat and humidity for brief periods.

Smokin Harley

Be sure your sensor connections are tight or maybe try a new one. They can cause a PID controller to act nuts. I have one that cost a few bucks it was bought to operate a reflow station to do circuit board work. It now runs my kiln and when this property sells the kiln will stay, but that controller will be going with me for the new kiln.

I think your sand idea is pretty slick, I can see how that could work, and see no problem with a sensor in the sand.

the sensor is not in the sand...its hanging at the top of the kiln above the leaf. the sand is in the crockpot ...I have a coffee can in it that I fill with water .Saves from shutting down the crockpot to avoid temperature shock which would in turn crack the crock , been there , done that . It cost me a crockpot already. Sand is a jacket so to speak to make more heated mass which keeps the temperature more stabile and a quicker recovery after opening the door .

Smokin Harley

My crock pot is off a lot longer than it is on. If you are only running your fans when the crock pot is on, you will only have even distribution of heat and humidity for brief periods.
yeah , I just plugged the fans in to constant power. Keeping the heat and humidity circulating 24/7.

AmaxB

Well now hmmmm pay me no mind 80% of the tenants upstairs moved out long ago......
I find the sand idea to be a very intriguing idea in the way it could affect heat cycles of the crock pot.

TravisNTexas

I have an old crock pot shell with no crock. Anybody see any reason why filling that for sand without the crock and putting a can for water in the sand would not work, so long as I don't get water outside the can?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I have an old crock pot shell with no crock. Anybody see any reason why filling that for sand without the crock and putting a can for water in the sand would not work, so long as I don't get water outside the can?

It won't cost anything to try. Let us know how it works out.

Smokin Harley

check the bottom .On mine there is a small opening at the bottom ,much like the hollow threaded conduit rod that runs through a lamp.

Brown Thumb

Now that was Fun.
I get them freakin Aliens all the time.
Chinese Is the our County's Language?
Good to see you got it working again:)

Smokin Harley

Did a quick kiln check this morning when I got home. Temps have been holding between 124-129 ,nice tight 5 degree "slew" . Water was only down to half a can since Sunday and the leaf is in what I would consider rolling case, not crispy dry but flexible . I do believe I have it right where it needs to be. I think another week or two and the load from the 24th will be coming out and another batch rotated in.

Smokin Harley

Sure is nice to come home after a shift and as the garage doors goes up I see the temperature on the digital controller is what I call in the sweet spot...right at or within 2 degrees of 125. I'll do a water check Sunday morning and do a sniff check .

Status
Not open for further replies.