Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

BigBonner's Perique... another winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
BigBonner sent me some Perique a few weeks ago. I shredded it in the awesome Polish shredder( with the 1.6 mm ribbon cut) then made a VaPer with 30% BigB Perique and 70% WLT Virginia Brightleaf.

This stuff is fantastic. I've been smoking it everyday for a week.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Glad to hear you liked the Perique .
I now need to figure out how to store the perique for long keeping .
Dry or not to dry and if it needs to be stored in a cold place .

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Larry, your Perique is very nice.

I've never had large quantities of Perique, so I've always stored it wet inside the refrigerator--in double bags. It seems to remain unchanged year after year that way. It may be that Perique is so concentrated (like ketchup or jelly) that nothing much will grow on it, even when stored wet at room temperature.

What kind of quantity do you have? Dozens of pounds?

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I suspect if you store it wet it will mold. The blending Perique that McClelland's et al sell is heavily cased with PG, probably to prevent mold qrowth. It can be stored in the barrel almost indefinitely if you exclude air from it.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have around 150 pounds of the good and another 150 pound barrel of some that may not be so good ( stinky ) .
15 gallon barrels hard packed tobacco in both of them .

What has me so worried is this hot 90 degree weather . The good barrel has more foam than usual on the top . I don't want it to sour like my first 55 gallon whiskey barrel did . But that one was during 105 degree F temperatures .
I laid unpacked the good barrel earlier today to air it out . My hands smell like the Perique after washing .

I am thinking of putting the barrel in my basement where it is a lot cooler than my tobacco barn .

On one video where the St James Perique aged a barrel for several years , the tobacco was still moist but not at the point of having liquid on the top . The barrel was lined with possibly wax paper and was sealed up with the whiskey barrel lid .

BigBonner

Founding Member
Thanks Bob

Right now I need a new market for my tobacco crops . Burley has hit a low in the USA market . Contract cuts have put most farmers out of the tobacco markets well below a fair prices . I don't see tobacco making a comeback like the old days were . This years crop or what is left of it may make companies pay more because of the short supply .

This years excessive rain has really hurt tobacco farmers . A lot of planted tobacco is gone or affected by too much rain . Tobacco growth has stunted in some fields and are a white / yellow with small leaves . Blooming out shorter than usual with short stunted leaves .

Some crops have blown down or drowned out . The rain kept some farmers from planting until it was late in the growing season .

DGBAMA

Farming is not much more than legal gambling..... I have a great respect for you guys that make a living doing it.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
BigB has the ultimate farm though, red meat and tobacco.

Should see of your wife wants to open a bed and breakfast, sounds like a nice vacation spot:)

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
Thanks Bob

Right now I need a new market for my tobacco crops . Burley has hit a low in the USA market . Contract cuts have put most farmers out of the tobacco markets well below a fair prices . I don't see tobacco making a comeback like the old days were . This years crop or what is left of it may make companies pay more because of the short supply .

This years excessive rain has really hurt tobacco farmers . A lot of planted tobacco is gone or affected by too much rain . Tobacco growth has stunted in some fields and are a white / yellow with small leaves . Blooming out shorter than usual with short stunted leaves .

Some crops have blown down or drowned out . The rain kept some farmers from planting until it was late in the growing season .

i hear that. I was over in Garrard County last week and saw a couple creek-bottom burley fields that looked like someone had given up on them. Ankle-high plants yellowed and choked with weeds. I saw one field on a hillside that was ready to be topped, and a wide range of crops doing well and not so well.

rustycase

Thanks to Don for providing this forum !

There's quite a lot of very interesting points brought up in this thread !
rc

dondford

For any newer members on this Forum, I highly recommend BigBonner's tobacco. He offers a great product at a very fair price. We all need to support these small farmers.

D

Last edited by a moderator:

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Yep i agree....when im not smoking my own crop...im smoking bonners bacca..ive proablly got 20 pounds of his bacca to date..

And am pleased with every leaf of it....

And i too have noticed that this year bacca farmers havent been filling thier fields with bacca...i.e.: this one farmer last year had about 8 different fields all planted in bacca..but this year i noticed they had it mixed up between bacca..peanuts..and field corn..

Smokin Harley

Just walked in the door from our trip to Bama and opened my sample of BB's Perique . Smells nice , fruity and lightly sweet. I just need to cut and dry it then I supposed mix it with something right? How best should I cut it ...roll a tight log and cut like 1/8" coins then rub ? Whats the correct case for home made pipe tobacco .I'm used to Captain Black (white ,royal and cherry) which is a bit moist and sticky . Can't wait to try , just need a little help .
Thanks

Smokin Harley

By the way ,on the trip down as we passed through I think lower Kentucky on I-65 I spotted one nice tobacco field on the west side .I'm guessing it was most likely burley . I wanted to pull over and sneak a hand or two to bring home but traffic wouldnt allow .

DGBAMA

Just walked in the door from our trip to Bama and opened my sample of BB's Perique . Smells nice , fruity and lightly sweet. I just need to cut and dry it then I supposed mix it with something right? How best should I cut it ...roll a tight log and cut like 1/8" coins then rub ? Whats the correct case for home made pipe tobacco .I'm used to Captain Black (white ,royal and cherry) which is a bit moist and sticky . Can't wait to try , just need a little help .
Thanks

To bad you didn't have more time, Knucks and I are both in the north part of the state. You had to have been close enough to meet up for an evening of "Smoke, Drink, and Lies". We need a good " leaf inspector " down this way....... From what I am told, you can't grow good baccy in Bama. :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
How best should I cut it ...roll a tight log and cut like 1/8" coins then rub ? Whats the correct case for home made pipe tobacco .I'm used to Captain Black (white ,royal and cherry) which is a bit moist and sticky .
Roll a tight log of de-stemmed Perique. Slice it as finely as you can manage. Slice the row of coins in half, then rub out. It needs to dry down to low case.

The pipe blending matrix (http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/3926-Pure-Tobacco-Pipe-Blends-You-Can-Make/page5#48) is a good place to start. With the non-burley blends, begin by replacing the Dark Air component with Perique. Increase the proportion of Perique slowly. (The other ingredients are sliced in the same fashion as the Perique.) Depending on the potency of the Perique, 25% is the maximum, though most folks prefer much lower quantities. It's relative alkalinity increases nicotine absorption, which is why I suggest starting with just 1 part per 16 (one ounce per pound of blend).

Commercial pipe tobacco is dressed with humectants and anti-fungals. For home blends, it needs to be much dryer--in low case, otherwise it will rapidly mold.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I aired out my BigB Perique for 5 days. I then shred it and let it air an additional 2 days. It tastes great with just Virginia Brightleaf (VBL). I like 30% Perique and 70% VBL.

Smokin Harley

To bad you didn't have more time, Knucks and I are both in the north part of the state. You had to have been close enough to meet up for an evening of "Smoke, Drink, and Lies". We need a good " leaf inspector " down this way....... From what I am told, you can't grow good baccy in Bama. :)
I know , I know...next trip down I'll let you guys know ahead of time. I wish we had had more time down there for tobacco inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.