Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Help me understand the kiln.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOE1977

I think I generally understand the finishing or browning of tobacco in the kiln but what I am asking is, the higher heat and duration of time. Does this change the flavor matrix? Example. If I take color cured Bright Virginia and for easy math kiln it at 120*, does it come out like Dunhill Va Flake and respectively kiln at 140 for longer time, does it come out like Sam Gawith Full Va Flake and then yet a higher and longer temp come out like darker and more robust sweeter Va like McClellands blackwood?
I understand the temps and time are not correct but only for ease of understanding, but is this the general idea? Or am I way off?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Flue-cured tobaccos used in commercial pipe blends are flue-cured (from green to done in 5 days, ramping from 93ºF to ~165ºF). That is not the same as kilning. Some flue-cure varieties and stalk positions will flue-cure to a darker (or redder) leaf than others. It can subsequently be used as is, or steamed or stoved or toasted or kilned.

Kilning is forced aging, and usually follows air-curing. It uses temperature (in the range of 115-130ºF x 1 month) to increase the action of the leaf's natural oxydase enzyme, which brings about the changes associated with aging.

As with all tobaccos, lower stalk position will yield a lighter color and a lower nicotine content than upper leaf. This is true whether the leaf is flue-cured or air-cured then kilned.

I'm not intimately familiar with the commercial blends you mention. But with my English style blending, the addition of tiny proportions of Perique or Dark Air can dramatically ramp up the "fullness" of a blend.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.