Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Johnlee's grown log

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Well the season is about over for me. The patch is about bare and I just stalk harvested the three plants out front (Pic 2). I think I'll get the patch cleaned up and spaded and in cover crop (probably red clover). It's a good time for soil tests too. I expect to be too basic and low in nitrogen. There are a few leaves that I'll let a friend harvest if he wants. Otherwise it's burn barrel. When I get the patch cleaned up I'll take a pic and start the 2013 grow log.
IMG_1625 - Copy.JPGIMG_1627 - Copy.JPG

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
John,
I think that's the first picture of your beautiful New England gray saltbox. Very nice. I'd harvest those tips, kiln them, and use them for flavoring cigar filler.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
John,
I think that's the first picture of your beautiful New England gray saltbox. Very nice. I'd harvest those tips, kiln them, and use them for flavoring cigar filler.

Bob
I have harvested the tops (- blossom) of most of my plants. They're color curing. Now I'm a little tired and going to have friends take what they want. I've still got wood to split and stack.

I built this home (my third) myself with my son's help about 30 years ago. Actually it is a replica of a 1750's midwifes house. There is some disagreement as to where. VA, KY, OH? The lines are as close as I could manage but I did add a garage and a sun porch. OH Yeah, inside plumbing too ! Here in CT Joe Homeowner can do it all himself as long as he gets the right permits and inspections. So I did. Perfect houses are funny. You change, they don't. I plan on doing a video "walk around" for widespread friends but don't know how to add a video to a PM.

John

johnlee1933

Founding Member
We had our first hard frost last night. The season is officially wrapped up. Yesterday I tilled the plot. I added sulfur as the PH was too high and planted the Crimson clover from Tim. Tim, that seed sucks! I waited ALL night and nothing came up. :eek: We are expecting a bit milder weather for a few days with light rain so I have high hopes.
IMG_1683 - Copy.JPGIMG_1684 - Copy.JPGThe little volunteer growing between the boards on my planter got to be about 2' tall. I'm not sure what it is so I'll just hang and kiln it and see.

Looks like it is about time to close this thread and open 2013 but I have forgotten how to close a thread. Perhaps benign neglect will get it done.

John

oldsouth

Banned
Well, I hate to always bring it back to food... but y'all know by now that I just can't help it! When those clover blossoms flower, pick 'em and eat 'em! Seriously, clover flowers are excellent in a salad and very good for you - considered a spring tonic to build the blood and increase immunity in the Appalachians. They are also one of the flowers that make good tea and wine, along with dandelion and honeysuckle.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
sounds like you got your patch,,

getting ready for next years crop???

Boboro

I got crimson clover from feed store it was peltzied. It came up in 3 days I havent' used clover before just rye.

BarG

Founding Member
We had our first hard frost last night. The season is officially wrapped up. Yesterday I tilled the plot. I added sulfur as the PH was too high and planted the Crimson clover from Tim. Tim, that seed sucks! I waited ALL night and nothing came up. :eek: We are expecting a bit milder weather for a few days with light rain so I have high hopes.
View attachment 1964View attachment 1965The little volunteer growing between the boards on my planter got to be about 2' tall. I'm not sure what it is so I'll just hang and kiln it and see.

Looks like it is about time to close this thread and open 2013 but I have forgotten how to close a thread. Perhaps benign neglect will get it done.

John

That was clover sent from indianjoe,I believe it was allredy innocculated by the looks of it. He assured me it was clover and not magic beans.;)

I finaly got some rain and mine is coming up as well. It should look real lush come spring time and the critters will love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.